Transfer from Newark to New York port

Pam in KY

We have booked transfer from Newark to ship with Holland America for September cruise. Wondering how long the wait generally is for the transfer to leave Newark and how long the trip is to the port? Does the bus stop along the way or is it straight from the airport to the port?

It's been a while since I've taken a HAL transfer, especially the one you are taking, but all of them have followed a similar pattern over the years, so my experience is likely still valid.

There are usually a few planes landing around the same time, so there are lots of passengers to fill the bus fairly quickly.

You claim your luggage and meet the HAL rep, who will check off your name, and tell you where to gather. In short order you (and usually your luggage on a porter's trolley) are taken to the bus. Everybody boards, and off you go.

Depending on traffic, especially traffic at the pier itself, it can kill an hour before the bus starts to discharge the passengers.

There is no better sail-away than the ride down the Hudson to the open Atlantic. I hope the weather cooperates for you.

Using any cruise line transfer is like rolling the dice in a craps game. The cruise line's simply contract with a local company who provides the service. The norm is to wait until they can fill their transfer vehicles. If you are lucky there will be very little waiting time...and if your timing is bad you can wait around for a long time. As to the time to get to the Manhattan cruise port it really depends on traffic. Outside of rush hours it should take about 30 min. Once the transfer vehicles leave the airport it will be non-stop to the cruise terminal. However, Newark has multiple terminals and its possible a transfer vehicle will make multiple stops within the airport to get more passengers.

Hank

However, Newark has multiple terminals and its possible a transfer vehicle will make multiple stops within the airport to get more passengers.

Highly unlikely.

In the dozens of HAL transfers I have taken, the bus has never stopped at additional terminals to pick up more passengers.

People aren't led to the bus until they are ready to board and depart, which generally doesn't take long. Then off to the pier they go.

Highly unlikely.

In the dozens of HAL transfers I have taken, the bus has never stopped at additional terminals to pick up more passengers.

People aren't led to the bus until they are ready to board and depart, which generally doesn't take long. Then off to the pier they go.

This has been our experience as well.

Also, in case the OP isn't familiar with the Newark Airport, it really is pretty close to the cruise terminal. I've been flying into Newark a lot lately since I now have family on Manhattan's upper west side, and it's a lot less "daunting" than JFK, I think. I was surprised the first time my Uber car passed the cruise port area and then soon after, there was the airport. Of course, I wanted to say, "Stop! I want to get on a ship," but didn't get to do that.

I hope all goes quickly and smoothly for you. :)

Edit: Oh...my mistake. I see the OP is sailing out of NYC, of course, as this is HAL, and not Newark. But same comments, really. It's a comfortable commute and a comfortable airport to fly into. We actually watch the cruise ships from DD's apartment on the Hudson. Beautiful! The drive is usually about 45 minutes from port area to the Newark airport.

Edited by AncientWanderer