Formal Night Question

payitforward

This is your cruise so enjoy it the way you see fit.

I just re-read my post and have to quote it. Above I said it your cruise enjoy it the way you see fit, however it is everybody's cruise that is on the ship. So if you enjoying your cruise does not make another pax dis-like theirs then go for it. I only say this because other pax out there fill like it my cruise the hell with the other pax.

Sailing out of California, things tend to be more casual. On my cruise back in April on the first formal night I wore a nice top and slacks. Hubby wore a short sleeve dress shirt and jean style slacks. The lady who sat next to us had on denim capris. Just down the aisle at other tables was everything from long formal gowns to cocktail dresses.

Dress in what makes you feel good. That said, if I were a dress person I'd go for a cocktail dress.

The first formal night (Sunday on this cruise) is the most formal. On the second formal night most everybody in our dining section was seen up on the Lido deck eating pizza and watching Jumanji. Our waiter was very lonely that night.

If I fly to the cruise I bring a shirt and tie. If I drive to the cruise I bring my tux. Unless the B&C wants to take formal pictures, then I'm bringing the tux no matter what.

I once took the formal picture wearing my tux and my lucha libre mask. My wife refused to participate. I bought the picture, its one of my favorites.

Hi All,

This thread is NOT to debate the merits of formal night. I understand that I can wear whatever I want, as can others. I am just interested in people's personal experience because I am new to Carnival. Do people wear long dresses on formal nights? Is one formal night more formal than the other? I have a ton of different cruise dresses ranging from short and casual to long and sparkly. While I like to dress up, I also want to be appropriate for my surroundings, and only want to pack things I will actually wear. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

I have been to elegant nights on Carnival where a visual majority of folks were dressed in suits/ballgowns, and the rest in dress shirts and a few polos. I have been elegant nights where plenty folks were dressed on the casual side (jeans, tank tops, baseball hats) with the suits/ballgowns were in the minority.

Since you are interested in "my" experiences, I tend to wear khakis and a button-down shirt. I might bring a tie, but probably won't wear it. The wife wears a nice enough dress, but no ballgown. For us, it is a price thing. We fly to the ports from Detroit, and to pack a formal suit, ballgown, etc would necessitate additional luggage (at least one more carry-on) at a cost. For a two way flight, that adds significant cost (about $100 extra), so I always just plan to dress according to the letter of the suggested dress code, edging towards casual, that I can fit into our minimalist packing. For two people, this is one carry-on and two "personal item" backpacks.

My only advice is, if you are looking forward to dressing up and getting fancy, by all means go for it! If you are slightly overdressed compared to your peers, oh well, you will get great pictures. It is your vacation, and you are entitled to look awesome! ;)

Since you asked for opinions, here is mine. Carnival has become anything but formal. As you will see in the many debates on here, people seem to think that a polo qualifies as a dress shirt.

Oh it gets much better. There are some people who even seem to think there exist something called "dress shorts". Yes, seriously. :rolleyes:

Except that they would look at me like I sprouted 3 heads. They know how casual Carnival is - even the kids are Platinum.

And honestly, yes, I could do it but I would feel horribly out of place. At least on Princess there will be plenty of others dressed formally for dinner and photos.

As long as what I am doing is licit I stopped worrying about what other people think of me long ago. :) I figure the ones that should feel out of place are the ones who are wearing items from the prohibited items list.

Oh it gets much better. There are some people who even seem to think there exist something called "dress shorts". Yes, seriously. :rolleyes:

I have seen suits featuring Bermuda shorts when visiting Bermuda. I believe they do consider them "dress shorts".

I have seen suits featuring Bermuda shorts when visiting Bermuda. I believe they do consider them "dress shorts".

Correct, dress shorts are worn to the office by bankers and solicitors and the like in downtown Hamilton and throughout Bermuda and is accepted professional business attire.

Uniform dress shorts are worn in the Royal Navy and the Royal Australian Navy as worn here by Trevor Howard and other actors in Father Goose with Cary Grant and Leslie Caron. Dress shorts are regulation when worn in the tropics. Here you see the dress shorts worn with knee socks which is the practice for business attire in Bermuda as well.

FatherGoose5.jpg

Edited by sanmarcosman

That's fine if you're from Bermuda. Just like a kilt is if you're from Scotland. But if you're not from Bermuda, they're just shorts.

That's fine if you're from Bermuda. Just like a kilt is if you're from Scotland. But if you're not from Bermuda, they're just shorts.

Some here on Cruise Critic wear their kilts on elegant nights with pride. You don't have to be from these places to wear the clothes but wearing them properly in keeping with the culture is best.

Some here on Cruise Critic wear their kilts on elegant nights with pride. You don't have to be from these places to wear the clothes but wearing them properly in keeping with the culture is best.

Agreed. Just throwing on shorts and saying "It's ok, Bermudans do it all the time" doesn't make it right.

Personally, I will wear either a gown or dressy cocktail dress. But I also tend to dress up more than necessary on casual nights just because I enjoy it. My concern tends to be staying at the same level of formality as the people I'm cruising with so I'm not bothered if others choose to dress more casually.

Correct, dress shorts are worn to the office by bankers and solicitors and the like in downtown Hamilton and throughout Bermuda and is accepted professional business attire.

Uniform dress shorts are worn in the Royal Navy and the Royal Australian Navy as worn here by Trevor Howard and other actors in Father Goose with Cary Grant and Leslie Caron. Dress shorts are regulation when worn in the tropics. Here you see the dress shorts worn with knee socks which is the practice for business attire in Bermuda as well.

FatherGoose5.jpgI think dress shorts are perfectly acceptable on a cruise. I’ve seen much worse. 😉

Hi All,

This thread is NOT to debate the merits of formal night. I understand that I can wear whatever I want, as can others. I am just interested in people's personal experience because I am new to Carnival. Do people wear long dresses on formal nights? Is one formal night more formal than the other? I have a ton of different cruise dresses ranging from short and casual to long and sparkly. While I like to dress up, I also want to be appropriate for my surroundings, and only want to pack things I will actually wear. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Very few and maybe none.

I think dress shorts are perfectly acceptable on a cruise. I’ve seen much worse.

And Carnival does allow them on cruise casual nights. If I saw someone in a Bermuda shorts suit on elegant night I wouldn't bat an eye.

Thanks so much everyone! There were so many helpful responses that I won't go though and quote them all. All of you were genuinely helpful, and I appreciate it.

I did, smile at the poster who works from home and doesn't want to dress up. I also work from home; most days in my pajamas. Therefore, I like opportunities to dress up.

Most of my long dresses are wrinkle free and easy to pack. After reading all of your responses, I've decided I will pack one long dress that is just plain black, and will leave the "sparkles" at home. I will bring mix-and-match options, and one short cocktail dress that isn't especially formal.

You have all helped me to narrow things down as one of my goals was to cut back on luggage a bit.

Thanks again!!

As long as what I am doing is licit I stopped worrying about what other people think of me long ago. :) I figure the ones that should feel out of place are the ones who are wearing items from the prohibited items list.

Did you see that my post was answering why I didn't have my kids in a tux on Carnival and was choosing Princess for that photo op? I certainly care what my kids opinion of me is - afterall, I am a huge basis of their moral and social compass. I am teaching my kids the same way I was taught - you dress for the occasion. And a tux does not fit the realities of elegant evening on Carnival.

Agreed. Just throwing on shorts and saying "It's ok, Bermudans do it all the time" doesn't make it right.

I think it is more the issue that when Bermuda shorts are worn to work in Hamilton, it comes with a dress shirt, tie, jacket and knee high socks. If you want to wear that on elegant evening, it "should" fit the dress could and would be appropriate. Carnival just hasn't realistically thought of that option as likely in it's description....which too is part of the overall problem.

And those men in the Australian Navy would NOT wear those shorts to dinner....they have other uniforms for dinner appropriate wear.

I don't see how anyone wearing Bermuda shorts to elegant night is worse than someone wearing a kilt, which I have heard of before. Yikes.

Why Yikes? A kilt is elegant wear if Scottish, and Bermuda shorts with a jacket and tie is the same? What about people from Africa that have those lovely colorful tunic and pants that men wear?

Someone mentioned Princess being more formal. I did not find that to be the case at all. I wore a black dress for one formal night there and then a black pantsuit the next.

It depends on how I feel as to what I wear but I overdress in real life every day. :-)

I bring lots of bling - being it in my shoes, jewelry, or scarfs but it can give added sparkle to a plain black dress or pant suit.

Have fun!