Calling In Italy Using Skype?

kelliq

We will be on a cruise in July, and we will stay 4 days pre-cruise in Rome. I have booked some tours in Rome, and they all asked me to leave a working phone number while in Italy. Has anyone used Skype for that purpose? I don't want to turn on my US Cellular Data obviously, so what is a better solution?

I just need to call those tour companies if needed, and taxi, maybe my airBnB host, and restaurants etc. I don't need to call the U.S.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions!

We will be on a cruise in July, and we will stay 4 days pre-cruise in Rome. I have booked some tours in Rome, and they all asked me to leave a working phone number while in Italy. Has anyone used Skype for that purpose? I don't want to turn on my US Cellular Data obviously, so what is a better solution?

I just need to call those tour companies if needed, and taxi, maybe my airBnB host, and restaurants etc. I don't need to call the U.S.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions!

How about Whats App? As long as you are logged into wifi, the call is free. The person that you are calling must also have the app installed.

Or use wifi/online calling. As long as you have wifi, you will receive the call...should be free. So if you are sitting in your hotel waiting for a possible call, activate your online calling, sign into the hotel wifi, and you should get the call.

We just spent 3 weeks in Europe. Had my phone on the wifi in most hotels, online calling on. Got spam calls from the US!!

Your cell carrier may offer something called international roaming. With ATT its offered pay by the day. You call cust svc, turn it on and only pay for the day(s) you make a call, receive a call or need to access internet, other wise no charge for that day. Then you just shut it off when you get home. much cheaper rates per minute voice and data than without roaming

Thank you for your suggestions!

I know WhatsApp won't work, the other person/company has to be using WhatsApp too for this to work, so that is not practical.

wifi calling might work. But what about when you are waiting for a tour, and couldnt find, you need to call the company? Other times I could just use this feature. Thanks for the suggestion!

I will go to ATT before we leave, see what they could offer.. Is it like $10 per day? This option could work too, I could just use my own number!

Thank you all!

Thank you for your suggestions!

wifi calling might work. But what about when you are waiting for a tour, and couldnt find, you need to call the company?

Then the "pay by the day" option would work for you. It wouldn't be expensive as it appears you would only use it to contact tour companies and the like and only on an as needed basis.

My provider (verizon) offers the international "travel pass" - I'm only charged for the days that I use the service and it is $10 per day.

We skype with friends in France and Greece. There are no problems anywhere so long as you have wi-fi. The businesses you call do not have to be on Skype. I would enter all their numbers - land lines or mobile - in your address book, including the country codes, before you leave. Make sure you have some credit in your Skype account. I usually keep about $25 in my account.

Here is the Skype info:

https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA34702/skype-to-skype-calls-are-free-anywhere-in-the-world

https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA1214/how-much-does-it-cost-to-call-mobiles-and-landlines-from-skype

We skype with friends in France and Greece. There are no problems anywhere so long as you have wi-fi. The businesses you call do not have to be on Skype. I would enter all their numbers - land lines or mobile - in your address book, including the country codes, before you leave. Make sure you have some credit in your Skype account. I usually keep about $25 in my account.

Here is the Skype info:

https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA34702/skype-to-skype-calls-are-free-anywhere-in-the-world

https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA1214/how-much-does-it-cost-to-call-mobiles-and-landlines-from-skype

This is useful! I put some credit in my account, so that I could call people, but for them to call me, how does it work? Will my regular cell number work?

This is useful! I put some credit in my account, so that I could call people, but for them to call me, how does it work? Will my regular cell number work?

They can call you on Skype if they have Skype, then it is free. If they use Skype to call your cell number, then they pay the reduced Skype rate.

Non-Skype calls to or from your cell number will also work, but check with your carrier for charges. We use T-Mobile which has no additional charges abroad for texting and data. There are roaming charges for phone calls. Check their website if that is an option for you. https://www.t-mobile.com/travel-abroad-with-simple-global

Other companies charge for texts and data. Usually, the rate for texting is much lower than calls.

We always tell family and friends to send us a text and we call them back on Skype or text back. Unless it is a real emergency, of course.

We do not take our cell phone with us when we travel. If asked for a phone number we either just give our own, which we do not have with us, or the number where we are staying,,,,if indeed that has been determined.

Never been an issue anywhere so far. If they want a number we give them a number.