Aft cabin on Eurodam

JudithLynne

We were in Eurodam 6170 last September.. I thought captain talk said engines pull from the front instead of pushing from the back, but more experienced cruisers may correct that.

Eurodam is propelled ('pushed') through the water via twin Azipods (aft), and has 3 bow thrusters forward that assist with close maneuvering during docking and departing from port.

• 2 weeks later...
We are booked on a cruise to Hawaii in February and have selected an aft stateroom on deck 8. I know that we are under the aft pool deck and wonder if anyone has had experience with an aft deck 8?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Jayhawk.....

I think we are on the same cruise (2/20/19) ? on Deck 7 aft. Would appreciate you not throwing anything down at us below if you are on the same one........ GRIN !!!!

I seem to recall your posting on that roll call.

Look forward to meeting you on board.....

We had 5193 on the Eurodam on a B2B Caribbean, our first aft cabin, now that is our must have location on any cruise. Larger balcony, no wind, ship wake at all times, great 180 views, corner cabins are sometimes not as deep but they are twice as wide.

Good to hear you enjoyed 5193...I’ll be in 5191 in just under a month

• 2 months later...

We were just on the Eurodam, 8173, aft Neptune Suite. Our neighbors in the balcony cabin to the right of us were moved after the first night. We had constant (awful) vibration from Day 1. I figured since we were going northbound against the Pacific current with eastward winds from the Pacific that that was the reason for our horrible noise/vibration. It wasn't until we headed southbound from Glacier Bay on the 4th day that I was concerned. I have video of the noise/vibration. I've been on 13 cruises and this was our 4th aft suite, so I know that weather, currents can be an issue with vibrations. This was unlike anything I'd experienced ever before. someone previously had put a towel behind the tv on the wall due to the noise. Let's just say I did not sleep well 5 out of the 7 nights we were onboard. We've been on the older Adventure of the Seas in an aft suite, last year, so I do know what I'm talking about, as well on the NCL Dawn and Jade in aft suites (3 times), I'm no novice, but this was beyond ridiculous. Obviously our neighbors were smarter than we were after the first night and got moved.

We were just on the Eurodam, 8173, aft Neptune Suite. Our neighbors in the balcony cabin to the right of us were moved after the first night. We had constant (awful) vibration from Day 1. I figured since we were going northbound against the Pacific current with eastward winds from the Pacific that that was the reason for our horrible noise/vibration. It wasn't until we headed southbound from Glacier Bay on the 4th day that I was concerned. I have video of the noise/vibration. I've been on 13 cruises and this was our 4th aft suite, so I know that weather, currents can be an issue with vibrations. This was unlike anything I'd experienced ever before. someone previously had put a towel behind the tv on the wall due to the noise. Let's just say I did not sleep well 5 out of the 7 nights we were onboard. We've been on the older Adventure of the Seas in an aft suite, last year, so I do know what I'm talking about, as well on the NCL Dawn and Jade in aft suites (3 times), I'm no novice, but this was beyond ridiculous. Obviously our neighbors were smarter than we were after the first night and got moved.

Did you do your homework about booking aft cabins on this deck/ship? Although you say that 'you know what you're talking about', I'm not so sure..

Ouch !!!

We love aft cabins - and have one - Deck 7 - booked for our San Diego to Hawaii cruise in February on the Eurodam.

Since Alaska is normally pretty calm waters was there any kind of explaination given as to the cause?

This is the 1st I’ve heard of this issue on the Eurodam; at least I’ve not heard anything myself. Hope it was something that was or can be easily fixed.

We love aft cabins as well. Which is precisely why we chose this aft wrap-around cabin on the 8th deck on the Eurodam. We have been on for other aft suite cabins never had an issue except when rough weather. I did my due diligence and looked online on cruise critic and YouTube as well as other websites to see if there was any problems with these aft cabins. As I stated, our neighbors were moved after the 1st night.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Forums mobile app

We love aft cabins as well. Which is precisely why we chose this aft wrap-around cabin on the 8th deck on the Eurodam. We have been on for other aft suite cabins never had an issue except when rough weather. I did my due diligence and looked online on cruise critic and YouTube as well as other websites to see if there was any problems with these aft cabins. As I stated, our neighbors were moved after the 1st night.

Were you given any reason for the vibration?

We were in an aft cabin on Oosterdam last January. Aft cabins have always been our cabin of choice. But the noise was so loud my husband said “never again”. There was banging & sloshing that was disruptive. We do not mind vibration as we find that soothing and to be expected. We even called the front desk and were told it had to do with the direction we were sailing .. RT SD to Hawaii.

We were in an aft cabin on Oosterdam last January. Aft cabins have always been our cabin of choice. But the noise was so loud my husband said “never again”. There was banging & sloshing that was disruptive. We do not mind vibration as we find that soothing and to be expected. We even called the front desk and were told it had to do with the direction we were sailing .. RT SD to Hawaii.

Bummer..... well we hope that is not the case with our upcoming cruise. We were recently on the Celebrity Millenium aft cabin (but way up high - deck 11) and never had any noise or vibration. Let’s hope if it was a mechanical issue on the Eurodam that it is corrected.

Were you given any reason for the vibration?
No explanation. Just that they knew it was an issue. The pool deck above was NOT an issue at all. I'd attach a video I recorded, but I can't seem to be able to. Our Concierge was sympathetic and offered a sleeping cabin down the hall but I paid to sleep in my suite, not schlepping down the hall in my jammies. Major disappointment. It wasnt until my 3rd complaint that they even offered compensation of $750, as we were getting off the ship.

No explanation. Just that they knew it was an issue. The pool deck above was NOT an issue at all. I'd attach a video I recorded, but I can't seem to be able to. Our Concierge was sympathetic and offered a sleeping cabin down the hall but I paid to sleep in my suite, not schlepping down the hall in my jammies. Major disappointment. It wasnt until my 3rd complaint that they even offered compensation of $750, as we were getting off the ship.

Dang- at least you got a little something.

Would love to see the video ..... you can send it to my email if you like (click just below my name) - as I would love to see what we may encounter (but hopefully won’t).

Thanks again for the heads up.

Brightfeather....I am the OP and want to thank you for your information, I was worried about noise and vibration when we booked 7138, we had a previous bad similar experience with an aft cabin on the Ruby Princess.

Because of your precise information, we changed our cabin yesterday. We are past final payment, this is a Christmas cruise, but we were able to get an SS suite, center on the Upper Verandah deck. We are very pleased and grateful to you......

Judith

We were on an aft cabin on the westerdam to Mexico in 2016 and an aft on the Eurodam in February 2018. We book them whenever they are available. We have never had any problem. No soot. No excessive vibration. No noise. No nothing. They were both NS with the corner wrap. We liked the slightly different rocking motion and all the other advantages. With that said, enjoy your SS , OP. Also very nice with different advantages. Maybe you’ll make friends with someone in an aft cabin on the ship and you can see for yourself. [emoji16]

We were on an aft cabin on the westerdam to Mexico in 2016 and an aft on the Eurodam in February 2018. We book them whenever they are available. We have never had any problem. No soot. No excessive vibration. No noise. No nothing. They were both NS with the corner wrap. We liked the slightly different rocking motion and all the other advantages. With that said, enjoy your SS , OP. Also very nice with different advantages. Maybe you’ll make friends with someone in an aft cabin on the ship and you can see for yourself. [emoji16]

Hopefully whatever the issue - it was/is an easy fix. We have 2 - Deck 7 aft cabins booked for this cruise. I would hate to spend 5 days each direction with annoying vibrations the whole way.

We were on Eurodam last week for the Alaska trip. We had 6153 which is a starboard verandah approximately halfway between the aft elevators and the stern.

At speeds over 18 knots, the vibration was intense! I did not get much sleep for at least 3 of the nights, although my DW seemed to do okay. This was my first cruise so I did not know what to expect or what is considered normal.

Another passenger asked the captain about this during the Q&A, and he chalked it up to the rough seas. I didn't feel that the seas were very rough at all. Rather this was a much more rhythmic vibration that seemed to be associated with the propulsion.

Whatever the case, in the future I wont book another cabin any further back than the aft elevators. I do plan to mention this in my post-cruise review and I suspect they heard or will hear from others as well.