Did Carnival get ride of the Taste Bar

wardwhitty

You are not accounting for inflation. If you read up on some of the old cruisers from say the Jubliee in the 80's they paid the same or more for a balcony than we do today. So - your price has stayed the same and Carnival has made adjustments and changes to still allow a great cruise experience.

I wish I could pay for gas now the same as I paid in 1988!

From a Carnival commercial from 1985 I saw on YouTube, it said 3 day cruises were starting at $325pp, now you can get a 4 day cruise starting at $169pp.

I agree, but you have to acknowledge that some things that were removed over the last 15 years, were not simply changes, they were ways for CCL to save money. I'm okay with that, even though some of those things I enjoyed. The one that I liked, that I will miss the most is of course the table cloths every day at dinner. Nothing I can do about it... it's not coming back.. just one change/cutback that I do not like.

There wasn't a Taste Bar 15 years ago. There wasn't Guy's Burgers 15 years ago. There wasn't a Guy's Pig & Anchor 15 years ago. There wasn't a Blueiguana Cantina 15 years ago. I'd gladly take those options over a table cloth!

There wasn't a Taste Bar 15 years ago. There wasn't Guy's Burgers 15 years ago. There wasn't a Guy's Pig & Anchor 15 years ago. There wasn't a Blueiguana Cantina 15 years ago. I'd gladly take those options over a table cloth!

First good point about a table cloth!

Bummer....The Taste Bar is where I first learned that I actually liked sushi! I enjoyed trying the new things they had.

I'm kind of surprised they didn't see the value of the Taste Bar...especially on the ships that do have more expansive pay dining options. Being able to sample some free little tidbits from these pay restaurants could drive more business to them.

Table cloths are nice but we have also lost a lot more.

Once upon a time DR service was 100% better.

Cuts of beef much better

Production shows much better than playlist shows

Lots of other things as well

We have lost quite a bit but they have added things as well but overall cruising is not the elegant vacation it used to be.

15 Years ago the service was much better, 15 years ago the MDR food was much better, 15 years ago they had a steak sandwich on Lido which was better than guys IMO, plus you had tons of other fast food choices which were cut. Horizons GP&A is mostly for a fee. 15 years ago you didn't have nickel and dime fees. Blue iguana is not that good especially if you live out west. 15 years ago they included so many other things that have been cut. Some changes a certainly nice but overall it's a watered down product from 15 years ago. Still a good product but with lots of cuts which have diminished the cruise experience.

There are a lot of things I would take over what you just mentioned. However, I didn't say anything about all of that, I said... to the other person that I was responding to... that it was just one thing that I did not like. I also said it's not coming back. The way say it, it sounds as if those were the trade offs for the table cloths. One has nothing to do with the other, and it was pretty clear in my post... I was not complaining.

First good point about a table cloth!

Not sure there was a point, since those things were not brought due to table cloths being taken away. LOL

In my opinion, the good thing about the removal of table cloths, is the savings in water, detergent, and energy.

15 Years ago the service was much better, 15 years ago the MDR food was much better, 15 years ago they had a steak sandwich on Lido which was better than guys IMO, plus you had tons of other fast food choices which were cut. Horizons GP&A is mostly for a fee. 15 years ago you didn't have nickel and dime fees. Blue iguana is not that good especially if you live out west. 15 years ago they included so many other things that have been cut. Some changes a certainly nice but overall it's a watered down product from 15 years ago. Still a good product but with lots of cuts which have diminished the cruise experience.

True to all that. Also, back then in addition to that steak sandwich (that was really good) there was no need for Guy's as the burgers were fresh off the grill. There was lines waiting, and none were made to sit on a tray in grease for any amount of time.

I do like what is offered now, but that certainly does not mean I cannot miss the things I used to enjoy as well.

Yet Carnival is still selling out every week with the most ships in the companies history. I haven't seen the last minute pack-and-go discount in forever. Apparently they are doing something right.

Yet Carnival is still selling out every week with the most ships in the companies history. I haven't seen the last minute pack-and-go discount in forever. Apparently they are doing something right.

What Carnival is getting is the new cruisers who do not know what has been lost over the years.

They will also tend to spend much more while on the cruise than more experienced cruisers so in the long run they are not losing anything at all. Fits their business model very well.

Many people including us are moving up to the higher end cruise lines.

And the important point is you are paying the same OR LESS than what you paid 15 years ago. It is completely unreasonable to expect the same product 15 years later at the same price.

Carnival has changed their demographic and no longer even attempt an elegant experience - they aim for family fun. If you want elegant, then you pick a different line and pay the higher costs of cruising with that line.

The great thing is there is something out there for everyone. But I get so tired of people complaining about "cutbacks" without recognizing that those changes are done to keep you cruising cheaply.

I can think of very few businesses today that offer experiences that are not diminished from years past. Traditional steakhouses (Morton's, Ruth's Chris) are more casual in both ambiance and food quality. Try to talk to a customer service rep on the phone lately? Next to impossible. I'm a Delta Elite member and even my concierge line requires a scheduled call back that usually exceeds an hour. Visit a brick and mortar store and need assistance? The workers behind the counter (if it's not a self checkout situation) are on the phone....to whom I don't know, because if you call for assistance you can't get thru, and the inventory has suffered as well. Buy a half gallon of ice cream over the past several years?....it's not a half gallon. We aren't living in a society that values personalized and elegant experiences. The new business model is to make it faster, less interactive, and cheaper (which doesn't mean lower cost, but to avoid raising cost). Of course you can pay a premium for elegance, though I would argue that even the most elite have been chipped away from what they were, but more and more companies are moving towards the new world, such as it is. Some things I hate, others I love, most I'm pretty indifferent to, but I don't see it going back the other way no matter what the consumer does at this point.

I personally won't miss the fried ball of meat and some kind of soup thing at the Taste Bar. Everyone rattling on about 15 years ago blah blah blah......Try finding somewhere where you get a week at a hotel, ample food included, all entertainment included, don't have to worry about anything, all while seeing 3-4 different islands, for $5-600 per person on land. When our family of 4 goes to Disney World, we drop 6K EASY, and the customer service there is nowhere near Carnival level. Things change. It's inevitable. As small business owners ourselves, I can assure you that at the end of the day, the end goal for any company is to MAKE A PROFIT while still providing your customer with a good experience.

I never cruised on the Jubilee so didn't know that she even had balcony's

Bill.

I was on the Carnival Holiday in 1988 for a 7 day cruise out of Miami and paid $799 pp for a balcony guarantee. Not much less than I'm paying now for a 7 day cruise, lowest balcony price.

I was on the Carnival Holiday in 1988 for a 7 day cruise out of Miami and paid $799 pp for a balcony guarantee. Not much less than I'm paying now for a 7 day cruise, lowest balcony price.

Didn't know that the Holiday had balcony's either.

Didn't sail CCL until 1998 mostly on Fantasy class when we started cruising and those ships didn't have balcony's except for their verandah suites but they were nothing more than what a regular balcony on one of todays ships is.

Bill

Agreed, you can't expect to pay the same as you did 15 years ago for a product and that the product will still be the same. In 1998 we paid $700 pp for a 7 nt. Princess cruise in an inside cabin for a Feb. sailing. I'm sure I could still find that same deal on Princess if I booked far enough in advance and it's been 20 years.

I personally won't miss the fried ball of meat and some kind of soup thing at the Taste Bar. Everyone rattling on about 15 years ago blah blah blah......Try finding somewhere where you get a week at a hotel, ample food included, all entertainment included, don't have to worry about anything, all while seeing 3-4 different islands, for $5-600 per person on land. When our family of 4 goes to Disney World, we drop 6K EASY, and the customer service there is nowhere near Carnival level. Things change. It's inevitable. As small business owners ourselves, I can assure you that at the end of the day, the end goal for any company is to MAKE A PROFIT while still providing your customer with a good experience.

Good for you! However, others enjoyed the venue. I hope they get rid of the piano bar. I won't miss that cutback.

And the important point is you are paying the same OR LESS than what you paid 15 years ago. It is completely unreasonable to expect the same product 15 years later at the same price.

Carnival has changed their demographic and no longer even attempt an elegant experience - they aim for family fun. If you want elegant, then you pick a different line and pay the higher costs of cruising with that line.

The great thing is there is something out there for everyone. But I get so tired of people complaining about "cutbacks" without recognizing that those changes are done to keep you cruising cheaply.

I totally agree! The same people that don't like the cutbacks would not like it either if Carnival increased the prices over the last 20 years to keep things the same. Either pay higher prices and get everything from the past or pay same prices and pick what you want to pay extra for. Accommodates a bigger range of people, ones that want to spend less and ones that are willing to fork over more money. All on the same cruise!

Didn't know that the Holiday had balcony's either.

Didn't sail CCL until 1998 mostly on Fantasy class when we started cruising and those ships didn't have balcony's except for their verandah suites but they were nothing more than what a regular balcony on one of todays ships is.

Bill

We definitely had a balcony, and we definitely paid $700. Actually it was our first balcony we every had. Never went back to insides since that cruise!

We definitely had a balcony, and we definitely paid $700. Actually it was our first balcony we every had. Never went back to insides since that cruise!
I dont doubt you for a second.[emoji3]

Our first cruise was on Celebrity Meridian.

Paid $1600 for an inside cabin for 2.[emoji44]

Bill

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app