Calling all Spa Lovers

lvnurs9

How much do you spend at the spa? I’m trying to decide how much is too much 🙊. I definitely want a massage or two. Do you think it’s worth bundling and getting 3 treatments? Or because they limit what qualifies, should I save and stick to cheaper (aka shorter) ones? Or maybe a massage and a week pass? There is too much to choose from!

Personally, as much as I LOVE the idea of a massage on a cruise, the couple of times I have done it, I didn't feel it was worth the money. First, it wasn't as good as my massage at home and second, it was more expensive - like 2-3 times more. The salt scrub was horrible on my skin after having been in the sun for a few days and just made me raw. I now will just go to the sauna (love the ones that have windows to the ocean) for free.

But, if you are going to do it, then do it right! Get what you want and enjoy it as it is your vacation.

Why not get a 90 minute massage at home, pre-cruise and book another one for your return....then wait for the "choose 2" or "pick 3" offers that eventually land in your mailbox, after you take the Spa Tour and are not a lucky winner?

I tried it a couple of times and agree with what's been said about the quality of the massage. Def nothing special and way over priced for what you do get. It's not like you get a dynamite view or anything. And seems that all they want to do is upsell you on their WAY over priced products.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

I tried it a couple of times and agree with what's been said about the quality of the massage. Def nothing special and way over priced for what you do get. It's not like you get a dynamite view or anything. And seems that all they want to do is upsell you on their WAY over priced products.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

I did a facial and neck massage once and it was exactly like you said, never did it again. I get 20% off here at the Hotel Spa;)

FYI, on some ships the massage rooms are directly below running tracks and the like that make for a less than ideal space to relax due to noise issues. We get our massages ashore.

I’m a big spa person and we’ve found the best thing that works for us is the couples spa pass paired with one really good massage. We aren’t crazy about the cheap little massages or pedicures they have sales on. I like the hot stone or bamboo massage personally. I’m not sure what ship you’re on but only ships with the Cloud 9 spa’s have a thermal suites pass. But they’re well worth it. There’s the Thelasso therapy pool (hot bubbly mineral water pool with heated loungers built in), steam rooms, saunas, and heated marble loungers. These are absolute heaven and way better than a few expensive massages. The older smaller ships don’t have the Cloud 9 spa or thermal suites. It’s mostly on the bigger newer ships. If you book the thermal suites ahead of time you can take advantage of the 20% off too. ;)

I'm a huge spa lover too. I have only been on one cruise and had one cruise massage. It didn't really feel like a massage - more like a rub down with oil. The pressure was too light and didn't get better when I asked for more pressure.

I talked to my regular massage therapist about it. She said that massage therapists are taught not to work their hands more than 30 hours/week. Massage therapists on ships typically exceed that. Plus, they are not normally trained by a massage school. They are just taught by the cruise line.

So this time, I decided to forgo the ship massage. I booked a 90 minute massage before I left and one when I returned. I am still spending less than one ship massage.

I'm not a fan of massages however, my daughter and signed up for a hot stone massage together. We loved it. We had never had one before and haven't had one since so I can't compare. I will say we are both having them again when we board the Miracle this July.

How much do you spend at the spa? I’m trying to decide how much is too much 🙊. I definitely want a massage or two. Do you think it’s worth bundling and getting 3 treatments? Or because they limit what qualifies, should I save and stick to cheaper (aka shorter) ones? Or maybe a massage and a week pass? There is too much to choose from!

First thing I have to ask is have you ever had a message at home? I completely agree with AJ and others, it's mediocre rubdown followed by a sales pitch. I get bi monthly massages here in Colorado $80 for 1 1/2 hours and she is really good. You can get pretty good massages on several beaches, Jamaica and Mexico, massages were about $30 an hour. I believe Steiner charges $130 for 55 minutes plus a mandatory 15% tip, not worth it.

I was not a massage person until our last cruise. I booked a 75 minute bamboo massage on the first day of the cruise, and it was amazing. As a runner, I get tight hamstrings, calves and IT band and she got into those areas so deep. It was fabulous. I am already dreaming of doing it again on our next cruise!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

On our last cruise on the Breeze, I did not purchase any extras, but easily spent 30 hours in the Thermal Suites and T-Pool. Luv it. Cannot get enough of it. For me if there is no Cloud 9, then no cruise. So glad the Dream is coming to Galveston, as the Vista Spa, per the pictures I have seen, has a joke of a whirlpool in the Cloud 9.

On our last cruise on the Breeze, I did not purchase any extras, but easily spent 30 hours in the Thermal Suites and T-Pool. Luv it. Cannot get enough of it. For me if there is no Cloud 9, then no cruise. So glad the Dream is coming to Galveston, as the Vista Spa, per the pictures I have seen, has a joke of a whirlpool in the Cloud 9.

Ok, I need a little help understanding the Thermal Suite and T-Pool. We are not spa people at all and booked the Cloud 9 spa room on the Breeze because they were out of the other balconies I wanted. I like quiet rooms, so I'm hoping this was a good choice. I hate to pay for it without using what comes in it so I would like to know exactly what the Thalassotherapy pool is. Is it like a hot tub? Warm or cool? Also, are the Thermal Suites like saunas? I hate saunas but I love a good hot tub! Thanks for any info you can give.

I do enjoy manicures and pedicures regularly so I was also wondering if they had discounts on those?

Thanks!

Thanks for all the replies! I do get massages at home. We went on a cruise for our honeymoon and got a couples massage, which wasn’t terrible. I agree that facials and salt scrubs are out because of the sun! Do them before and you become prone to burning and after is not comfortable! We are sailing the Magic, so I am thinking a pass might just be enough. I never thought about getting a massage on the beach, but maybe I should!

Ok, I need a little help understanding the Thermal Suite and T-Pool. I like quiet rooms, so I'm hoping this was a good choice. If you like the quiet cabins, then Cloud 9 is your friend! Almost no foot traffic to speak of (just your neighbors), and in the 6 Cloud 9 sailings we've done, we've never encountered kids in the "neighborhood" - very serene. I would like to know exactly what the Thalassotherapy pool is. Is it like a hot tub? Warm or cool? The "T-Pool" is a very large "jacuzzi" (fits about 20, but there are never even more than maybe 6 at a time) - it is much warmer than any of the hot tubs on deck, they say there are minerals for health, blah, blah, blah...I don't know, but I adore it! Also, are the Thermal Suites like saunas? The "Thermal Suites" are a series of steam rooms and saunas that range in temperature, going from hottest to coolest with the grand finale being a room with heated tile loungers (like these: http://lh4.ggpht.com/HUg9rFIeFDm_NCN5c7BC06ALl9mwAm_auhK3LlwMbPb9zDtUz8uyXSj8HAvgVinIfkVivgYb-IFhTgBGibc9mZsYbg=s750

) - the room itself is not hot, but as we've done the entire suite (starting at the t-pool, working our way from steam to less hot thermal suite rooms (about 12 minutes per room) by the time we get to the loungers they simply melt our bodies! Also, most of the thermal rooms (not all) have floor to ceiling windows to the sea, and if your fellow suite users understand "spa" includes being very quiet, the entire experience is sublime. Take note, it is a co-ed space, so a bathing suit is required.

My notes in blue

I love the Thalassotherapy pool on the Splendor! The Vista not so much (too small). We have a spa cabin next year on the Breeze so we shall see. Not all are created equal. The size and # of jets dictate the experience, imo. I do love a good spa massage...........where I live the price is the same as on board. Again, experiences vary ship to ship. Usually, the bigger the ship the bigger the spa and the better the services. Overall, I usually have at least one spa treatment every cruise and enjoy it. :)

How much is the thelassotherapy pass? Does it include the thermal suites too?

The Thelasso therapy pool is included in the thermal suites pass. For our upcoming 8 day cruise it’s $229 for a couples pass. You can purchase it now for your cruise if you want to. Just go into “manage my cruise” on Carnival. Click on salon & spa services and go to the last page. You’ll see “ Couples Thermal Suites Pass.” They don’t sell single passes before the cruise. And every time we’ve tried to purchase a single pass once we are on board they say they’re almost sold out and can only sell couples passes. I know it makes no sense but it’s what they always tell me. I think they’re just trying to push us to purchase two passes instead of one. But my DH has come to love the thermal suites so that’s fine. And a single pass is $149 so $229 for two is not a bad deal. I see you’re booked on the Breeze. We’ve sailed on her twice. I highly recommend their spa, it’s amazing.

I love to visit the spa when I’m on a cruise! I don’t often spring for facials or spa treatments at home. But when I cruise, it’s part of my routine. I have bundled treatments to get the discount. I liked being able to pick my days and time ahead of time to make sure I get what and when I wanted. I think the stone massage and facials are outstanding, and the shrubs are great! But if you do prebook/pay make sure you print out the receipt and take it will you. I was charged full price and had to go back a few times to get it straight.

Thanks! So now I'm wondering if Carnivals is a 1/2 spa or real one??

The videos of the true spa’s hydropool look just like the Thelasso therapy pool on the Dream class. And it has side jets and shoulder jets. They’re so strong that you have to hold on for dear life while on the built in loungers. And it has deep water and is big. The Dream class thermal suites also has the heated marble beds, hot saunas, dry saunas, steam rooms, and a relaxation room just like the video shows for a real spa. And it’s not on an open deck for anyone to use and you have to pay extra for it like the video states. But the thermal suites on the Vista class ships aren’t real spa’s, they’re half spa’s. They don’t have a full Thelasso therapy pool, they switched to a regular jacuzzi. :(