Mendenhall Glacier - Important Info - HAL Cruisers to Alaska

curtdesilets

Since HAL is the #1 Cruise line in Alaska, I thought it important for me to share this:

First: Juneau is going to be near or over 80 degrees next week. That's warm!

Second: Mendenhall Glacier, the #1 tourist destination in Juneau has something going on:

https://weather.com/weather/alerts/localalerts/l/USAK0116:1:US?phenomena=TSL&significance=S&areaid=AKZ025&office=PAJK&etn=0000

In a nutshell, there was a major calving event this week at the glacier which caused a minor flood. But...

(from the text)

FOR THE PAST SEVERAL YEARS, THE BASIN HAS PERIODICALLY RELEASED LARGE AMOUNTS OF WATER INTO MENDENHALL LAKE DURING THE SUMMER MONTHS, CAUSING FLOODING ALONG THE SHORE OF MENDENHALL LAKE AS WELL AS MENDENHALL RIVER. IT IS HIGHLY LIKELY THAT AT SOME POINT DURING THIS SUMMER THE BASIN WILL PRODUCE A SIGNIFICANT RELEASE. DUE TO THE NATURE OF THE BASIN, THE UNKNOWNS OF THE BASIN'S PHYSICAL CHARACTERISTICS, AND THE FACT THAT SUICIDE BASIN HAS BEEN ACTIVELY RELEASING FOR LESS THAN A DECADE, IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO PREDICT WHEN IT WILL NEXT RELEASE OR HOW MUCH WATER WILL BE RELEASED. CONCERNED INDIVIDUALS SHOULD REMAIN ALERT FOR STATEMENTS ISSUED BY THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE FOR THE EARLIEST POSSIBLE INDICATION OF A CHANGE IN STATUS OF SUICIDE BASIN.

Bottom line: Alaska is ROUGH & Always has been. Be careful and alert out there.

On our first Alaskan cruise in 1989, it was super warm in Alaska -- in the 80's. Our tour wasn't able to get near Mendenhall Glacier.

This happens once in a while.

Was an alternate excursion provided?

Thank you for sharing this info.

I really loved our tour at Mendenhall. it was a special day with GREAT MEMORIES. I even enjoye d our visit to the ranger station, definitely our salmon bake lunch.

I am sorry others will miss that opportunity at least for now.

Thank you for sharing this info.

I really loved our tour at Mendenhall. it was a special day with GREAT MEMORIES. I even enjoye d our visit to the ranger station, definitely our salmon bake lunch.

I am sorry others will miss that opportunity at least for now.

The flood alert is over, but apparently it could re-occur at anytime this summer. Not sure if these sort of events are a "flash flood" event like you sometimes see in the desert. We have been to Alaska several times on cruises but have never heard of this. I was just checking the weather in Juneau for our sailing next week and this "Special Alert" came up. - Curt (OP)

I saw Mendenhall in 2010 and then again in 2016. It has shrunk about 15% and keeps doing so.

Advice to anyone make sure you visit within the next 7-10 years or sooner if you can. Make sure you take 1/2 hr and walk some of the trail too.

I saw Mendenhall in 2010 and then again in 2016. It has shrunk about 15% and keeps doing so.

Advice to anyone make sure you visit within the next 7-10 years or sooner if you can. Make sure you take 1/2 hr and walk some of the trail too.

Glaciers do shrink after the end of an Ice Age- which last happened 10,000 years ago. Do we want another one to re-set the clock?

Glaciers do shrink after the end of an Ice Age- which last happened 10,000 years ago. Do we want another one to re-set the clock?

I have no clue what you mean but this was the advice from the folks in the visitor's center. The shrinking rate is alarming them and that is the information they shared.

Mendenhall glacier has retreated 1.75 miles (2.82 km) since 1929, when Mendenhall Lake was created, and over 2.5 miles (4.0 km) since 1500.

The end of the glacier currently has a negative glacier mass balance

and will continue to retreat in the foreseeable future.

Here is a time lapse video:

My theory: it is running away from all of the tourists. Mendenhall expects over 1,000,000 visitors this year! ;p