Trip Insurance at final payment?

GoingPlacesSoon

If you travel frequently consider annual travel insurance. We use Alliance. Their response and rapid payment for coverage secondary to Kaiser was outstanding. We had a check for full coverage of the balance, including Kaiser's deductible, within 3 weeks after submitting the claim.

I have Kaiser and have used it world wide They pay 100% because any service you get on the ship is classified as an emergency and no deductible as far as I have experienced.

If you pay for your cruise with your credit card like Chase United and Marriott cards you get 10,000 insurance per person included for free ! You many not need cancellation insurance I used my United card on an Alaska cruise and had to cancel 24 hours prior... No problem the card covered it 100% for my wife and I... even though it was only 1 persons problem, a cold/flu

We use Allianz, you can purchase your coverage the day before final payment and pre-existing conditions are covered. They paid a large claim for us in February this year in about 3 weeks.

I have Kaiser and have used it world wide They pay 100% because any service you get on the ship is classified as an emergency and no deductible as far as I have experienced.

If you pay for your cruise with your credit card like Chase United and Marriott cards you get 10,000 insurance per person included for free ! You many not need cancellation insurance I used my United card on an Alaska cruise and had to cancel 24 hours prior... No problem the card covered it 100% for my wife and I... even though it was only 1 persons problem, a cold/flu

We're United card holders too. If both of you have a separate account and split the cost of the cruise travel across the two cards, it affectively doubles the trip coverage. That's the good news.

The bad news is that there is no waiver of pre-existing conditions as reasons for trip cancel/interrupt.

We're United card holders too. If both of you have a separate account and split the cost of the cruise travel across the two cards, it affectively doubles the trip coverage. That's the good news.

The bad news is that there is no waiver of pre-existing conditions as reasons for trip cancel/interrupt.

Since I have no pre existing conditions , any condition I have is new, and is an emergency kaiser pays 100% no questions. Never bought travel insurance

Since I have no pre existing conditions , any condition I have is new, and is an emergency kaiser pays 100% no questions. Never bought travel insurance

Except Kaiser determines what an emergency is, not the policy holder. It also depends on the level of coverage purchased.

With hope that your good (and uneventful) health continues for many years to come, you are taking a couple of risks, which may/may not threaten your semi-self-insurance strategy.

"Longer" Oceania cruises (possibly combined with non-refundable international bizclass airtix) would easily top the $10K Visa coverage (even the $20K if my 2 card strategy is used). You may also want to read the "small print" on "precipitating event" exclusions (not just PECs but also things like terrorism et al).

Don't know if you're affected by Medicare but, my CalPERS Medicare supplement converts to regular PPO coverage outside the US including emergency transport and treatment (emergency/non-emergency). In essence then, I don't really need "additional" medical or "emergency ambulance" insurance.

Of course, this leaves the question of who then would pay for medical evacuation (I.e., transport home [including family members w/wo temp accommodations?] or to secondary treatment location after your release from the emergency facility), particularly if you want your continuing care/follow-up to be at your choice of hospital back in the US.

Thus, at a minimum, MedEvac insurance (with YOUR choice of facility), is something you might want to consider (there is freestanding coverage available and a very few comp policies do allow YOUR choice).

As for no PECs(?), never say "never." That simple MD charting note to "keep an eye on ...." or a new or changed Rx med, which occurs during the "look back period" prior to your purchase could void that Visa travel coverage if such PEC is determined to have caused your travel woes.

With the exception of the international medevac uncertainty issue, it sounds like Kaiser coverage is quite good for the medical piece and may be sufficient for those of your needs. However (personally), if I had bad enough luck to have a major emergency health problem abroad, I would want to move as quickly (as would be medically appropriate) to a facility of my choice (i.e., UC San Francisco or one of a handful of other university hospitals in California). That is one area where Kaiser coverage would necessitate a powwow regarding why not their places/doctors/etc. And that's always been a deal breaker for me.

Stay healthy!

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

"Longer" Oceania cruises (possibly combined with non-refundable international bizclass airtix) would easily top the $10K Visa coverage...

This amount is probably fine for most cruises, but grand voyages or world cruises would be the exception. When I was looking for travel ins. for the O world cruise, it was really hard to find a company that would insure such an expensive trip and the premium was huge....but it will be worth it if I need to use it.

....but it will be worth it if I need to use it

That was Don Horners' response to me, when I was aghast at the amount of his World Cruise premium.

Tragically, he was all too correct. One of MANY lessons which he was good enough to teach me-

x_125832.jpg

I miss you, old friend

This amount is probably fine for most cruises, but grand voyages or world cruises would be the exception. When I was looking for travel ins. for the O world cruise, it was really hard to find a company that would insure such an expensive trip and the premium was huge....but it will be worth it if I need to use it.

Without FF miles, figure international bizclass tix at $2500-$5000 pp. An 18 day non-Caribbean Oceania desirable itinerary in a B cabin will run from $10-15k pp.

Without FF miles, figure international bizclass tix at $2500-$5000 pp. An 18 day non-Caribbean Oceania desirable itinerary in a B cabin will run from $10-15k pp.

Well I have 7 figures in UAL miles and trying to burn them to no avail, so that covers that and am on the favorite son list with UAL status.

Second , I do not take cruises longer than 21 days now and only to well thought out safe regions

Finally, I my claims to Kaiser have all been paid 100% and they told me that any unplanned health issue, non elective, that I experience is deemed " emergency" or un planned. In one instance

I was admitted to a non Kaiser facility and Kaiser arranged and paid for me to be transferred to a Kaiser facility in California When in Hawaii in Kona they paid for air transport to Honolulu for me and my wife and put her up in a hotel while I was in the hospital. I can not complain

I am not sure what plan I have, nor what it costs as it as it is all part of my retirement as a public safety officer( that I negotiated for myself). I have no deductible for anything, even Kaiser elective medical.

Yes I am lucky to have such a plan, as these days they are not offering my plan to new retirees.

All that considered I am careful not to push the risk factor and avoid travel to potential problem regions. ( africa, the gulf, So America, India and their regions. Plenty to see and do other places I dont think I am missing anything anything I wanted to see. Would never consider a world cruise.... I took several back in 64/65 with the US navy.

Well I have 7 figures in UAL miles and trying to burn them to no avail, so that covers that and am on the favorite son list with UAL status.

Second , I do not take cruises longer than 21 days now and only to well thought out safe regions

Finally, I my claims to Kaiser have all been paid 100% and they told me that any unplanned health issue, non elective, that I experience is deemed " emergency" or un planned. In one instance

I was admitted to a non Kaiser facility and Kaiser arranged and paid for me to be transferred to a Kaiser facility in California When in Hawaii in Kona they paid for air transport to Honolulu for me and my wife and put her up in a hotel while I was in the hospital. I can not complain

I am not sure what plan I have, nor what it costs as it as it is all part of my retirement as a public safety officer( that I negotiated for myself). I have no deductible for anything, even Kaiser elective medical.

Yes I am lucky to have such a plan, as these days they are not offering my plan to new retirees.

All that considered I am careful not to push the risk factor and avoid travel to potential problem regions. ( africa, the gulf, So America, India and their regions. Plenty to see and do other places I dont think I am missing anything anything I wanted to see. Would never consider a world cruise.... I took several back in 64/65 with the US navy.

Firstly, that you for your service. Since your profile says SoCal, I may be correct in assuming your Kaiser is provided by CalPERS and, therefore, you probably have the best possible version of what Kaiser offers.

Safe travels.

Would never consider a world cruise.... I took several back in 64/65 with the US navy.

I'm excited about my upcoming world cruise.....will be my first one. In 1964 I was only 11 yrs old and in 6th grade, so couldn't go then. :')