Getaway Delay / Crew Member Overboard

shwabob

Thank you to those on the ship giving us updates. Tomorrow is going to be a mess for those boarding... it is a very tragic event and prayers to all involved. A few years ago I was on a carnival ship and a guest tragically took their life and we had to turn the boat around search and retrieve. Carnival went above and beyond for the guests on that cruise as well as a future cruise. a port was missed and people were traumatized due to the incident. After reading the forum and comments, I hope Norwegian retracts the PA announcement of no compensation. I called customer service to find out what was going on when the initial notification went out due to the concern of chaos of the mass texts that stated show up at 12..no one helped or explained situation at Norwegian. I asked about due to the delay and paying for a day and having specialty Dining reservation, and it being prorated and was told “nope” wow.. just floored and now they are arriving later. The passengers onboard will have a large delay as the police dept needs to come onboard and proceed an investigation (as that is what happened with carnival) after the investigation, customs comes on for normal routine check and THEN guests will start to be called off the ship. Carnival went above and beyond (onboard credit, percentage off future cruise, AND free counseling services for those who were traumatized if needed. They even called after the cruise to ensure no one needed counseling, esp children) I’m hoping Norwegian steps up to the plate and does the right thing for all involved.

Again thank you to those onboard updating us. If anyone has any update on the itinerary changes to “make up” the time lost at sea, as I’m assuming our cruise will be shortened to a lot for time lossed. Please let me know.

So far, NCL's communication to the passengers boarding tomorrow seems quite reasonable. They waited until they were given clearance by the Coast Guard to return and would be able to give the boarding guests a good estimate as to when they should arrive at the ship.

I do hope they waive the telephone/internet fees for those on board the ship. One could argue that this is a travel insurance issue (and we actually use insure my trip to cover our entire vacation when we travel with our kids and purchase insurance), but given the fact that this was a crew member and not a passenger who jumped overboard, it seems that NCL should reimburse the airline change fees.

So far, NCL's communication to the passengers boarding tomorrow seems quite reasonable. They waited until they were given clearance by the Coast Guard to return and would be able to give the boarding guests a good estimate as to when they should arrive at the ship.

I do hope they waive the telephone/internet fees for those on board the ship. One could argue that this is a travel insurance issue (and we actually use insure my trip to cover our entire vacation when we travel with our kids and purchase insurance), but given the fact that this was a crew member and not a passenger who jumped overboard, it seems that NCL should reimburse the airline change fees.

I'm currenrly waiting right behind someone to get on the phone with AA and change my flights. I get that they can't just open up free calling to all the rooms as that would overload the available satellite bandwidth. The airlines aren't making it easier and communication from Norwegian staff on the boat has been VERY inconsistent or just downright nonexistent (I've gotten way too many blank stares, it's as if they've never planned for such a thing as this). Up until now it's been a great experience, but despite the best efforts of the Frontline crew the management is doing a horrible job handling this and not communicating at all to crew or passengers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you to those on the ship giving us updates. Tomorrow is going to be a mess for those boarding... it is a very tragic event and prayers to all involved. A few years ago I was on a carnival ship and a guest tragically took their life and we had to turn the boat around search and retrieve. Carnival went above and beyond for the guests on that cruise as well as a future cruise. a port was missed and people were traumatized due to the incident. After reading the forum and comments, I hope Norwegian retracts the PA announcement of no compensation. I called customer service to find out what was going on when the initial notification went out due to the concern of chaos of the mass texts that stated show up at 12..no one helped or explained situation at Norwegian. I asked about due to the delay and paying for a day and having specialty Dining reservation, and it being prorated and was told “nope” wow.. just floored and now they are arriving later. The passengers onboard will have a large delay as the police dept needs to come onboard and proceed an investigation (as that is what happened with carnival) after the investigation, customs comes on for normal routine check and THEN guests will start to be called off the ship. Carnival went above and beyond (onboard credit, percentage off future cruise, AND free counseling services for those who were traumatized if needed. They even called after the cruise to ensure no one needed counseling, esp children) I’m hoping Norwegian steps up to the plate and does the right thing for all involved.

Again thank you to those onboard updating us. If anyone has any update on the itinerary changes to “make up” the time lost at sea, as I’m assuming our cruise will be shortened to a lot for time LOST (not lossed). Please let me know.

OK I'll bite, how does someone you do not know going overboard traumatize anyone especially when they did not see it? Heck everyone here heard about it as well should we all be traumatized? Yeah folks were inconvenienced and they are having to make last minute changes to travel etc, but traumatized and counseling, seriously?

I'm currenrly waiting right behind someone to get on the phone with AA and change my flights. I get that they can't just open up free calling to all the rooms as that would overload the available satellite bandwidth. The airlines aren't making it easier and communication from Norwegian staff on the boat has been VERY inconsistent or just downright nonexistent (I've gotten way too many blank stares, it's as if they've never planned for such a thing as this). Up until now it's been a great experience, but despite the best efforts of the Frontline crew the management is doing a horrible job handling this and not communicating at all to crew or passengers.

I hope I didn't add to your stress - I felt that NCL's response for the next sailing has been reasonable, but I am concerned about how they are treating people on your sailing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not exactly something you can plan for other than doing what they can do in order to at least try to recover the person in question.

Sorry to read about this terrible tragedy and feel badly for those currently onboard having to deal with rebooking.

Am on the Getaway leaving 1 July. Does anyone know if the shuttle buses from the airport to transfer to the port of Miami will now leave later given the delay and that embarkation is at 4. The company does not answer the phone on weekends and NCL person didn’t know when I called earlier

Our flight arrived yesterday so we planned to return to the airport to take the transfer or else we will just not use it and take an uber since I don’t want to arrive at the port with small children so many hours ahead. Thank you.

Sorry to read about this terrible tragedy and feel badly for those currently onboard having to deal with rebooking.

Am on the Getaway leaving 1 July. Does anyone know if the shuttle buses from the airport to transfer to the port of Miami will now leave later given the delay and that embarkation is at 4. The company does not answer the phone on weekends and NCL person didn’t know when I called earlier

Our flight arrived yesterday so we planned to return to the airport to take the transfer or else we will just not use it and take an uber since I don’t want to arrive at the port with small children so many hours ahead. Thank you.

If it were me, I'd call NCL tomorrow and ask if I could have the number for the Miami port representative. It's possible they'll have a better idea of the time you should arrive, and what will happen with the shuttles. I travel with young kids and I'd just find a museum or beach or aquarium or something for the kids in Miami and arrive as late as possible. I think it's going to be a tough embarkation, and hopefully you can miss a lot of the mess. Best of luck to you.

I agree, I was just informing you of what carnival offered as I was surprised. The retrieval was a bit rough, but me being the parent I am, I did not let children on the balcony during retrieval.

OK I'll bite, how does someone you do not know going overboard traumatize anyone especially when they did not see it? Heck everyone here heard about it as well should we all be traumatized? Yeah folks were inconvenienced and they are having to make last minute changes to travel etc, but traumatized and counseling, seriously?

This is what TRAVEL INSURANCE is for. If you don't get it, don't blame the cruise line for unexpected and unforeseen circumstances. This is a good example to have a Plan B for if you embarkation gets delayed (for any reason) and for debarkation (for any reason). This would be very important for those that have children or people in wheelchairs that cannot get around as easily. Life happens. Praying for this poor soul that thought there was no other way. Thankful everyday that I am still here and can make a Plan B for when things go wrong.

According to what I've read, and correct me if I'm wrong, this person jumped at around at around 1am and the ship didn't turn around until 3:30pm. That's nearly 13 HOURS. Is there not some sort of technology (like a motion sensor?) out there that can alert someone on the ship so they can review video surveillance footage, if something as large as a human body were to fall into the ocean?

I do not mean to be insensitive, but I feel like in 2018, that technology should exist.

Hi all i am sorry for this tragedy and the inconvenience this has caused you. I have crew friends on other NCL ships that have asked if anybody knows the name of the crew members that passed. I am asking in complete respect but know that some of the passengers on the ship now may have heard a a name. Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Captain just woke everyone up. Says that the now estimate arrival at 13:00 today.

Thank you for the updates. We are waiting to board today, and while we just received both a phone call and a text I appreciate the real time updates from you!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I agree, I was just informing you of what carnival offered as I was surprised. The retrieval was a bit rough, but me being the parent I am, I did not let children on the balcony during retrieval.

Why would anyone watch something like this? I would have made sure I was otherwise occupied not so much to protect myself - but out of sheer respect for the deceased. Frankly, I have no sympathy for gawkers who intentionally watched the retrieval and then needed counseling to deal with it.

My thoughts and prayers are with this lost soul and his family & loved ones during this sad time.

How will the delay in embarkation impact things like dining reservations and the like? For example, if embarkation starts at 4:00, what time would muster occur, and realistically, what time would the ship push off?

This is what TRAVEL INSURANCE is for. If you don't get it, don't blame the cruise line for unexpected and unforeseen circumstances. This is a good example to have a Plan B for if you embarkation gets delayed (for any reason) and for debarkation (for any reason). This would be very important for those that have children or people in wheelchairs that cannot get around as easily. Life happens. Praying for this poor soul that thought there was no other way. Thankful everyday that I am still here and can make a Plan B for when things go wrong.

Exactly!!! This is not the fault of NCL, buy travel insurance and if a blip in your travel plans are going to hurt you financially like paying the change fee to an air carrier, and a hotel for the night, you can't afford a vacation to begin with.

One of the reasons I fly in day before cruise and fly out day after.

May this poor troubled soul R.I.P,

Edited by njkate

Why would anyone watch something like this? I would have made sure I was otherwise occupied not so much to protect myself - but out of sheer respect for the deceased. Frankly, I have no sympathy for gawkers who intentionally watched the retrieval and then needed counseling to deal with it.

My thoughts and prayers are with this lost soul and his family & loved ones during this sad time.

Really? When I was on the Epuc in March there was a lady that went overboard. The rescue was right outside my balcony. I did not intentionally go to see it as I had just gotten back to my cabin. But once I realized what was happening I stayed. It wasn't out of morbid curiosity but more of just praying that the person was found safely. Thankfully in my case she was. We were not the only ones on our balcony. Everyone that was there was speaking whispers and you could here everyone just hoping it would be successful. When they did return with her a huge cheer went up. None of that was disrespectful in the least.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I agree 100 percent, as I was one of those annoyed with people taking video and pictures. No one needs to keep that as a memory from a vacation. In defense to saying why would anyone watch this, The captain had asked everyone to keep an eye out in the water and to call if they spotted the victim, so I guess they felt obligated?? I don’t know. But there shouldn’t be any sympathy to those who just wish to be nosy. Again, I was just stating how carnival handled situation like this and I am a bit taken back by how Norwegian is handling passengers onboard as to know we will be the next ones sailing with them.

How will the delay in embarkation impact things like dining reservations and the like? For example, if embarkation starts at 4:00, what time would muster occur, and realistically, what time would the ship push off?

They will try to get underway and must done as soon as they have everyone aboard AND cargo is loaded. Go to your dinner as scheduled or right after muster if it happens before. It's happened before and they will have a plan.

If you have kids - try to have a snack and drink with you for them in case dinner is delayed a couple hours.

Really? When I was on the Epuc in March there was a lady that went overboard. The rescue was right outside my balcony. I did not intentionally go to see it as I had just gotten back to my cabin. But once I realized what was happening I stayed. It wasn't out of morbid curiosity but more of just praying that the person was found safely. Thankfully in my case she was. We were not the only ones on our balcony. Everyone that was there was speaking whispers and you could here everyone just hoping it would be successful. When they did return with her a huge cheer went up. None of that was disrespectful in the least.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

A RESCUE is a different story. If there was a search to save someone's life of course as many people as possible should be watching, scanning & searching!

But the RETRIEVAL of a dead body is completely different. I honestly would try and imagine the parents and family of the deceased person were present and act accordingly (i.e. I would excuse myself in respect.)