Coffee

aaalynn1

Well to someone who drinks coffee black, anyone who adds anything (cream or sugar) doesn't truly appreciate good coffee. ;) I'm trying to find someone who drinks black coffee to tell me how smooth or bold the coffee is.

My mom drinks the free coffee black. She doesn't buy the coffee on the ship (or from Starbucks/Peet's, etc). To her the coffee is fine.

It also doesn't make sense to add anything when tasting coffee.

When we were in Kauai, we went to the Kauai Coffee Plantation. They have many coffees to sample, and we were surprised to see people putting in sugar, milk/creamer to these thimble sized sample cups. The employee watching over the sampling area didn't understand it either, but said visitors wanted it.

Well to someone who drinks coffee black, anyone who adds anything (cream or sugar) doesn't truly appreciate good coffee. ;) I'm trying to find someone who drinks black coffee to tell me how smooth or bold the coffee is.

I drink my coffee black but Carnival's coffee is rough and unless you have a stomach of steel, you're going to need to at least add hot water.

Awesome, Thank you! I'm fine with the free coffee, but my father in law claims he bought a coffee package on a Princess Cruise. I'm thinking it was more like Carnivals Cheers package. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

With royal caribbean you can get a coffee card for $35 and it gets you 15 specialty coffee drinks. You could pre-pay for the card before the cruise and it's in your stateroom on arrival. He probably bought this or something similar with Princess, because they have this on most lines. However it was a rip-off... and online it said any size drink, 15 drinks. And when we got there on the Anthem of the Seas the would only give us a small drink for one punch, or else they were punching the card twice if you wanted any more than 8 oz. and it would have been cheaper to pay out of pocket. I was pretty ticked and so was everyone else.

The only palatable coffee (((to US))) on any carnival ship is from room service or the mdr, they're both actually brewed and not really bad at all...

On Lido the coffee is powdered "coffee flavored beverage drink", same as the lemonade and tea.

The specialty coffee shops are awesome. Lol, I sure do wish they had a coffee pkg. My Hubs says I spend more $ there than most spend on alcohol.[emoji16]

Sent from my SM-N960U using Forums mobile app

I drink my coffee black but Carnival's coffee is rough and unless you have a stomach of steel, you're going to need to at least add hot water.

My husband isn't a connoisseur, but can tell the difference between fresh beans from Guatemala or Puerto Rico vs. Folgers - and can drink both even without a stomach of steel. I think he finds Carnival more like Folgers;)

He doesn't usually get a second cup at lido but sometimes does at MDR. If it is a really good coffee he would likely have two cups. So drinkable, but not great. (I do think he prefers it to a local coffee shop near us.)

The only palatable coffee (((to US))) on any carnival ship is from room service or the mdr, they're both actually brewed and not really bad at all...

On Lido the coffee is powdered "coffee flavored beverage drink", same as the lemonade and tea.

The specialty coffee shops are awesome. Lol, I sure do wish they had a coffee pkg. My Hubs says I spend more $ there than most spend on alcohol.[emoji16]

I don't know where you got the idea that the Lido coffee is a powdered coffee flavored drink beverage. Sounds like the "powdered eggs" myth. I've seen the staff make the coffee in the urns. It is brewed. It is ground coffee. At times staff in the MDR, especially in the mornings will come up and pour coffee out of the urns into their pots. The pots in the MDR are not brewed individually but in smaller urns and they use the same coffee as on the Lido. At one time all coffee used on Carnival ships was from Lavazzo. Not sure if that's still the case since the coffee shop went to Starbucks.

As someone else opined, it's the coffee/water ratio used that causes coffee to seem stronger in one place than another. On the Lido, they have markings/ fill to lines for how much coffee to pour into the urn. This is set to be approximately what an "average" coffee drinker's ratio would be. Since we're all above average, for many of us this isn't good enough.:D

Coffee as a rule can "last" about an hour in a pot before the flavors start getting burned. So if you hit the Lido at 8 and get coffee from an urn brewed at 7:30 it's going to be different that someone get coffee from the same urn at 7:35.

The coffee from the coffee shop is an expresso blend, ground right there. "regular" coffee is merely an "Americano", expresso and additional water. But the coffee/water ratio is more close to what coffee makers recommend.

Those comparing Carnival to RCL, while I'm not sure what RCL uses up on the Windjammer, because we avoid that place like the plague, but if you're just looking for black coffee or putting in your own cream and sugar, The Solarium. The Park, and the Plaza all service Seattle's Best ( sub of Starbucks) in smaller urns. At no charge. No need for a coffee card unless you're going frufru or looking for fancy cappuccinos.

I don't know where you got the idea that the Lido coffee is a powdered coffee flavored drink beverage. Sounds like the "powdered eggs" myth. I've seen the staff make the coffee in the urns. It is brewed. It is ground coffee. At times staff in the MDR, especially in the mornings will come up and pour coffee out of the urns into their pots. The pots in the MDR are not brewed individually but in smaller urns and they use the same coffee as on the Lido. At one time all coffee used on Carnival ships was from Lavazzo. Not sure if that's still the case since the coffee shop went to Starbucks.

As someone else opined, it's the coffee/water ratio used that causes coffee to seem stronger in one place than another. On the Lido, they have markings/ fill to lines for how much coffee to pour into the urn. This is set to be approximately what an "average" coffee drinker's ratio would be. Since we're all above average, for many of us this isn't good enough.:D

Coffee as a rule can "last" about an hour in a pot before the flavors start getting burned. So if you hit the Lido at 8 and get coffee from an urn brewed at 7:30 it's going to be different that someone get coffee from the same urn at 7:35.

The coffee from the coffee shop is an expresso blend, ground right there. "regular" coffee is merely an "Americano", expresso and additional water. But the coffee/water ratio is more close to what coffee makers recommend.

Those comparing Carnival to RCL, while I'm not sure what RCL uses up on the Windjammer, because we avoid that place like the plague, but if you're just looking for black coffee or putting in your own cream and sugar, The Solarium. The Park, and the Plaza all service Seattle's Best ( sub of Starbucks) in smaller urns. At no charge. No need for a coffee card unless you're going frufru or looking for fancy cappuccinos.

{Where I got the idea from} ->

Directly from an Ecstasy's Lido staff member on 10/23. He(Jogi(sp?) was pouring the "powdered lemonade flavored drink beverage" from a 1/2 gal carton, which mixes with water to make the drink. There was also a powdered tea flavored drink beverage (which I drink on every single cruise and enjoy it) carton sitting right next to it, I asked him about the coffee also, since Lido coffee had always tasted(((to me anyway))) like Sanka or similar. He said "same as those".(((Although I did not personally see said carton))) Our headwaiter(tress)in mdr (NiNi(sp?) said basically the same...

I can only go by what I am told. Not a big deal(((or even a small one))) since I don't drink it at all.

Just offering opinion on what I had tasted years ago(ugh) AND what I'd just been told on our last cruise. I'm not a coffee expert, Lol not even close. So I can only, again, go by what I'm told. You state different than what they both did, and I have no reason to doubt your version either. I do however, intend upon investigating deeper this coming Feb on The Breeze, as my crazy curiosity has been aroused re this matter[emoji848]...

I won't even try to be unkind or of a conspiracy theorist genre. Because I'm not. Nor pulling nonsense that has naught to do with coffee out of the air either, as a ?... I choose to remain polite towards all and believe in that Golden Rule.

Cruisin trkrs,

Be curious what you find out. I'm assuming 10/23 was last year. And given the way Carnival has done with cut backs, might be the case. We haven't sailed Carnival since 2016. But I'm going by what I saw on the Breeze and Dream in the past.

Cruisin trkrs,

Be curious what you find out. I'm assuming 10/23 was last year. And given the way Carnival has done with cut backs, might be the case. We haven't sailed Carnival since 2016. But I'm going by what I saw on the Breeze and Dream in the past.

No it wasn't last year. I'm sorry my mind's apparently gone awol. My Hubs calls it Woman-Flooded-Itis. Anyway, I'm not thinking straight. It was just last week that we got off her. Sat. Sept 22 boarded. 9/23 was first SeaDay. I apologize for my mistype. We left an almost flooded home, came back to having to boat to our home, down our street. Flooded. Power off. Office/Son's schoolroom completely flooded, Ect..... So my head is definitely not quite clear at all. Living on the river is usually wonderful. Not so much right now. Maybe never again.

I should not be responding to anything... I'm sorry. I will definitely let you know what I find out in February though.

[emoji924]️ Cruisin Trkrs [emoji597]

Strong ,beyond strong.
Strong, really? I don't know if we dutch drink very strong coffee to your standards, but it was more like old heated up tea then coffee to be honest. We didn't like the coffee on lido and mdr, got everything from dreams.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G950F met Tapatalk

Hi all, has anyone brought & used the powdered Via coffee packets from Starbucks & just added hot water to it? TIA

I used to. You need a larger mug than the ones on the Lido. Or pour only 1/2 the tube into the Lido cup.. Then add the water from the hot water spigot.

They are okay. But once the coffee changed to Lavazzo, and we started using the coffee bar, I stopped bringing them. Personally would prefer to use a French press and own ground, but it's too messy to deal with on the ship.