Which embarkation ports have an early arrival line?

This doesn't apply to me so this is kind of a public service question. Many cruisers who have not reached priority status or haven't bought FTTF are confused or concerned about Carnival's check-in time window. In reading here and on Facebook I know that some ports are very strict about letting early arrivals into the terminal and some have an early arrival line that may get you checked in before your assigned time. Please relate your experiences in specific ports.

This doesn't apply to me so this is kind of a public service question. Many cruisers who have not reached priority status or haven't bought FTTF are confused or concerned about Carnival's check-in time window. In reading here and on Facebook I know that some ports are very strict about letting early arrivals into the terminal and some have an early arrival line that may get you checked in before your assigned time. Please relate your experiences in specific ports.

How can someone be confused if their boarding documents give them a specific arrival time?

How can someone be confused if their boarding documents give them a specific arrival time?

Many newbies think that their check-in time is their boarding time. And some infrequent cruisers that haven't cruised in a number of years are unfamiliar with the check-in window times and how the new system works.

Miami has one and there were quite a few people standing in it each time I went. With how many people that were in the terminal, I would have been surprised if they were letting people in any more than maybe 10 min early. It’s best for them to Time their arrival to correspond with their appointment.

Hi

As long as someone can come on a site like this and ask the question, What happens if I arrive early? It doesn't matter how many people say you won't be let into the terminal until your time. It just takes one person that says, I arrived early and boarded right away. More and more people will arrive early as they did before. Then if Carnival doesn't accommodate them in a timely manner, they will complain.

In situations like this Carnival can't win. They come up with a system that alleviates a problem, and it actually works. Then people who either didn't know, didn't care, or some who just couldn't avoid the situation, start showing up early. Trying to do their best, seeing how because of the improved system they can indeed accommodate people earlier, start letting some of those early arrivals jump the line (so to speak). Of course this information spreads and while not back to the original problem, I am sure they will find they have created a different issue.

When I first remember this staggered check in discussed on this site, most were negative (something like, I am going to miss a meal :)). Not really surprising on this forum, where almost every change that Carnival makes is seen as a cutback, or the last straw, or whatever. Well it seemed it actually worked. When they said that if you arrived before your appointed check in time, you would not be allowed into the terminal building it seemed pretty straight forward. It never really did stop the questions of can we arrive earlier?, or how strict are they?. The fact they cannot stick to their own rules consistently, is not surprising, but I hope that people don't in time come to a site like this and complain about having to wait two hours before they were let into the terminal. So many of the things that cruise lines do come about because their customers try to take advantage of a situation.

I guess my feeling is that a thread like this that continues to suggest that maybe you can/should arrive early in the long run is a disservice for all. You are given a check in time and that is when you should arrive, or later.

All this being said, last week in NOLA for the Dream, they had Zone A and Zone B. zone A for platinum/Diamond, FTTF holders and people within or past their arrival window. zone B was a long line of early birds. They waited in a line for who knows how long as Staff allowed a group or two in as the crowd ebbed and flowed. We got there ten minutes into our window and were onboard drinking in twenty minutes

Hi

As long as someone can come on a site like this and ask the question, What happens if I arrive early? It doesn't matter how many people say you won't be let into the terminal until your time. It just takes one person that says, I arrived early and boarded right away. More and more people will arrive early as they did before. Then if Carnival doesn't accommodate them in a timely manner, they will complain.

In situations like this Carnival can't win. They come up with a system that alleviates a problem, and it actually works. Then people who either didn't know, didn't care, or some who just couldn't avoid the situation, start showing up early. Trying to do their best, seeing how because of the improved system they can indeed accommodate people earlier, start letting some of those early arrivals jump the line (so to speak). Of course this information spreads and while not back to the original problem, I am sure they will find they have created a different issue.

When I first remember this staggered check in discussed on this site, most were negative (something like, I am going to miss a meal :)). Not really surprising on this forum, where almost every change that Carnival makes is seen as a cutback, or the last straw, or whatever. Well it seemed it actually worked. When they said that if you arrived before your appointed check in time, you would not be allowed into the terminal building it seemed pretty straight forward. It never really did stop the questions of can we arrive earlier?, or how strict are they?. The fact they cannot stick to their own rules consistently, is not surprising, but I hope that people don't in time come to a site like this and complain about having to wait two hours before they were let into the terminal. So many of the things that cruise lines do come about because their customers try to take advantage of a situation.

I guess my feeling is that a thread like this that continues to suggest that maybe you can/should arrive early in the long run is a disservice for all. You are given a check in time and that is when you should arrive, or later.

Your last sentence kinda, sorta, maybe makes sense.

Carnival is the one who has early/late Check-in line and as long as they have that it's on them not the pax.

We were 45 minutes early and there was Nobody in any line. Breezed right through without a word said.

Had they told us to wait YES we would have.

OP that was Miami for the Vista in May.

Your last sentence kinda, sorta, maybe makes sense.

Carnival is the one who has early/late Check-in line and as long as they have that it's on them not the pax.

We were 45 minutes early and there was Nobody in any line. Breezed right through without a word said.

Had they told us to wait YES we would have.

OP that was Miami for the Vista in May.

That is/was exactly my thought. If some get there early in spite of supposedly having a later checkin time, and there are very few in line or in the terminal, then, at their discretion, they would allow some early arrivers to start checking in. Makes sense to me. It would then be to everyone's advantage. Of course, then, these are the people who will come on here and say that they were allowed to enter the terminal early.

Many newbies think that their check-in time is their boarding time. And some infrequent cruisers that haven't cruised in a number of years are unfamiliar with the check-in window times and how the new system works.

Well, since arrival comes before boarding, you board after arrival, arrival time is when you arrive.

Well, since arrival comes before boarding, you board after arrival, arrival time is when you arrive.

There seems to be a lot of confusion when people don't understand the difference between check in time and boarding time though.

For those of you who are all upset over this thread get over it. It has never affected me one iota. I had many days before VIFP implementation and was Diamond when the program started. Because I cruise a lot I try to be helpful and provide information based on my experiences.

This thread about early arrival lines is reflecting reality. If you think no one should be allowed early check-in talk to Carnival and port personnel. They are the ones who in certain cases allow early processing. When explaining Carnival's check-in process to a new cruiser on Facebook she asked if there was an early check-in line at Port Canaveral if you didn't buy FTTF. I had and still have no idea. I am not advocating any rule breaking or line jumping. I personally don't care about check-in times, they don't apply to me.