Christmas on Danube

t&c_traveling

Christmas markets are amazing!!! You don't state your dates, so you should check the dates of the markets in the ports where you'll be (technically they're advent calendars - start late November, end usually by Dec 23) Lots of things can be closed Dec 25 but often if a cruise line is operating that date they'll have special events planned, but do check.

Christmas markets are the way my husband got me onto a river cruise (We did Nuremberg to Basel). I love to wander through. Eat a wurst at each one (they're all different ;-) Others enjoy the mulled wine or the pastries.....

We have just booked a December 10-20, 2019 Christmas Market river cruise as well. Vienna to Vienna, included Melk, Linz, Passau etc... So excited as it will be our first river cruise. Hoyaheel if you have any tips please share, would love to know more about the markets and what to expect.

Mid December is a good time if you want to shop in the markets, the stalls are not fully picked over. If you search this forum for Christmas Markets (be sure to hunt for markets not market) you will find lots of info from years of experienced travelers.

We always shop for a Christmas ornament when we travel (we got a handmade ceramic star in Rudesheim) but otherwise I only bring home "practical" souvenirs - spices, local toiletries from drugstores and/or groceries. Many places will have mass produced (often in Asia) items, but if you look carefully you can usually tell what's local or handmade and what isn't. Might not make a difference to you ;p

Our cruise was Dec 5-14 (in 2014). We flew into Nuremberg a couple days early and explored there - I'm glad we did as we were able to see the markets lit up at night - none of our cruise stops went into the evening so we would have missed that experience otherwise. My in-laws went early and did the Prague pre-cruise trip with Avalon and they enjoyed it (we thought about DIY Prague but decided it would add more time than husband could get away - because I told him 2 nights wasn't enough ;-) We ended in Basel and we spent the night there (had the chance to see the Basel Markets -one of our favorites the entire trip was the Children's market by the Cathedral) My mom and her husband took the Avalon transfer to Zurich and spent the day/night there before flying out, and I can't remember what my in-laws did....

Our temps were mostly moderate (40s-50s) and I had a few merino pieces with me - great for a variety of temps. Hat, scarf, waterrproof lined jacket and I was good to do. We had some flurries in Frankfurt but we were bused to Rudesheim that day and it wasn't raining or snowing there. Further to the east, it might be colder and more like winter - just check the local forecasts online for historical averages and then what it might be right as you're packing immediately prior to travel....

thank you for all the suggestions. We are doing the Viking Danube 12/14 thru 12/22

We are hoping the see some of the Markets. I am worried about how to pack for that time of the year. I am in Texas and we do not get very cold.

You should have no issues with water levels in December.

Don't miss the Xmas markets, my favorites Passau ( small but easy to manage, lovely homemade wood carved items in hut by the church), Vienna ( sausages, fresh made donuts, hot drinks, you can buy the mug as they change each year) night time in the markets with the lights is magical. Nuremburg has a Nuremburg sausage sandwich that is very tasty, lots of ginger bread to take home in tins make nice gifts. If you can go a few days early to ease into the time change and get your feet on the ground so to speak.

We have pretty good weather the 2 December cruises we took, you will need hats gloves, scarfs, sweaters umbrella just in case, should be in the 30-40's but you never know. Enjoy

Hootie

Search for my postings / threads -

We sailed last year on AMA - posted on clothing and our first river cruise experience during the holidays.

Would do it again in a heartbeat - but earlier in December (when you are sailing actually!). We sailed Cristmas Day to New Years day.

Bob

We are also considering a Christmas. Armed cruise and wondered if there are any that stay late in the ports. Our cruise this year on the Danube (May) we stayed late four nights but I see a lot of comments about not docking into the evening. I realize the Dock Master determines the times and docking locations but has anyone ever stayed late in December?

Christmas. Armed cruise

Please let this be a typo/autocorrect ;p

Caviargal has posted about some of her Christmas Markets cruise (I believe AMA but could have been the one she did on Uniworld) where they stayed late in port.

Our Avalon had one later evening in port but it was not a port where we could access anything by foot (nor taxi, either, if I recall - it was a last minute switch the day we did Heidelberg I think, but that was a couple years back)

lluvz

On our AMA Christmas Day to New Years day we overnighted in three ports/cities-towns. Vilshofen, Linz and Vienna. Vilshofen and Linz were so quiet that week- not sure where everyone was! Vienna was hopping!. We arrived in Vienna around 6 - AMA provided shuttles into the city - believed we were on a 6:30 wish one and took the last one back around 10:30 and then spent the entire next day in Vienna. Our oldest spent 3 weeks in Vienna a few years ago so she acted as our "guide" - knew where to go and where to eat like a local;) - seriously one of the best meals we had in ten days for lunch that day. Would have loved to travel in the spring or late summer when days are longer and you have the option of staying in port and eating locally. Yes I know your cruise fare includes meals....but would have enjoyed a few dinners out in local restaurants (esp when you oldest is fluent in German!!)

Vilshofen and Linz were so quiet that week

Must be another Vilshofen than the one I know.:)

Vilshofen has a special Christmas Market, a floating market:

https://translate.google.de/translate?sl=de&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=de&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.vilshofen.de%2Findex.php%2Fevents%2Fschwimmender-christkindlmarkt&edit-text=

Please let this be a typo/autocorrect ;p

:eek: Totally an autocorrect! Wow, that was a crazy one.

We really enjoyed our last river cruise but hated the complete lack of precruise information on typical docking times. That is what makes me hesitant to book one of the Christmas cruises. We will probably eventually just bite the bullet and take a last minute deal like this last time.

Around

Looks like the perfect time to go (markets should be in full swing) on a line/ship I would luv to try! ;)

Looks like a great sailing! Would look forward to your posts when you sail if you are able to / planning on posting - but understand if you are two busy!

Coins and notes in smaller denominations work best. Especially in the mornings, when the odd stall may refuse to take a 50-euro-note and higher (or equivalently high in another currency) due to lack of change. Some will accept credit cards, some only EC-cards, some both.

notamermaid

As always, notamermaid is correct - have a small amount of cash (Euros are usually accepted in non-Euro countries but at a costly exchange rate). The more expensive the items, the more likely the stall vendor will accept credit cards. You can assume that shops will take cards. Personally, I don't charge less than US$10. My experience is from 7 Christmas Market cruises in a variety of European countries. I have never had Mastercard refused - certainly other cards should work. Discovercard is not generally accepted in Europe.

Around

Looks like the perfect time to go (markets should be in full swing) on a line/ship I would luv to try! ;)

Looks like a great sailing! Would look forward to your posts when you sail if you are able to / planning on posting - but understand if you are two busy!

I will be more than happy to post photos and updates!!