Can you bring a fan?

I have to sleep with the noise of a fan. Am I allowed to bring a small one? If so how does that work with having to put the card in the slot for electricity, can you turn all the lights off but still leave the card in? Sorry..we are new to cruising!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Forums mobile app

Here's a hint for all who go on the newer ships that require a card in the slot to turn on lights - use an old card from a prior sailing! The electricity slot reader isn't keyed to your room ( at least, not yet). So you can use an old card to keep your lights on. Just be sure you hide your old card somewhere when you leave! Otherwise the room steward or whoever else enters the room will take it. The great part is if they do, it's not VALID anywhere on the ship, so they can't use it for anything.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

Here's a hint for all who go on the newer ships that require a card in the slot to turn on lights - use an old card from a prior sailing! The electricity slot reader isn't keyed to your room ( at least, not yet). So you can use an old card to keep your lights on. Just be sure you hide your old card somewhere when you leave! Otherwise the room steward or whoever else enters the room will take it. The great part is if they do, it's not VALID anywhere on the ship, so they can't use it for anything.

I tip the steward ahead of time, he has never removed my card, most anything will work, old hotel key, etc...I keep the AC on max cold...works well...

Here's a hint for all who go on the newer ships that require a card in the slot to turn on lights - use an old card from a prior sailing! The electricity slot reader isn't keyed to your room ( at least, not yet). So you can use an old card to keep your lights on.

I've read in other threads that any -same size- card will work to turn on the lights/electric in the cabin.

Could someone please clarify if it has to be a certain type of card, or that any -same size- card will work?

As 1st time cruisers, we do not have a card from previous sailing.. I wish to have the ability to charge spare batteries while we are out of the cabin.

On the subject of fans;

I've read that household extension cords may sometimes be disallowed and confiscated. I plan on bringing 2 small 5Volt computer style fans that are powered by USB cables. I have a 6 port USB charger so I can charge all/most gadgets and spare batteries on the desk, while USB extensions can power phones and fans on bedside tables.

Benefits:

--The USB powered fans are much smaller and lighter than most small electric fans, but still put out plenty of airflow and white noise especially when close by on the bedside table.

--USB extension cords also pack smaller and weigh less than standard household current extension cords.

--A multi port USB charger takes up only 1 wall outlet and charges/powers many items.

Could someone please clarify if it has to be a certain type of card, or that any -same size- card will work?

I tip the steward ahead of time, he has never removed my card, most anything will work, old hotel key, etc...I keep the AC on max cold...works well...

Asked and answered, thank you!

I have to sleep with the noise of a fan. Am I allowed to bring a small one? If so how does that work with having to put the card in the slot for electricity, can you turn all the lights off but still leave the card in? Sorry..we are new to cruising!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Forums mobile app

We've been bringing a portable noise machine onboard for years. Works like a charm. It has a white noise setting, which is like a fan. (It also has the sound of waves, in case you didn't get enough of it during the day!) - Musing About Cruising

I have never heard of anyone bringing any sized fan on a cruise ship and my gut feeling is no!!! There are only one of two electric outlets in cruise cabins due to fire hazards. I don't know what else to say. I certainly do not know for certain if you can or can't.
I know without a doubt that you CAN, but let's get real about the size! Don't think any cruise line is going to accept one in a box or hand carried. It has to be a personal (sit on your desk type) fan that will fit in your suitcase. Especially if you are flying! TSA will have a hissy fit!

That's why we bring an extension cord (to fit 3 prongs). There is usually only 1 (110 volt) outlet, newer ships, maybe 2. If you have a USB adapter, then you get an additional outlet, which works very well for cellphone charging. Plus these outlets never seem to be where you need them! For instance, if someone uses a CPAP machine at night, you better bring a long enough extension cord, as the outlets are usually by the desk or dressing table only. The big mega ships are finally catching up in their designs & you might find an outlet near the bed.

Is this recent because my last couple cruises all electronics have been unplugged as well as the key from the slot removed...... even with a tip offered the stewards point to the Dailies where it says they are mandated to do it and the stewards mentioned it's a pretty high infraction if they're audited by their supervisor. Thx

I’ve had one confiscated on one cruise, it’s a little six inch regular fan. One time on all our cruises... the only time we packed it in our checked luggage, all the other times it was in my backpack carryon.