Can you bring a fan?

Incorrect. Item is not on NCL Prohibited Item List

https://www.ncl.com/prohibited-items

Incorrect you say! You are very incorrect! In March on the Pearl my FAN sat in a room with hundreds of other fans. I had a piece of paper in my bag that said the fan was confiscated until the end of the cruise. I was able to pick it up the last night of the cruise.

It’s hard for me to sleep without the noise. I wasn’t happy at all. I wish the poster luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Couple thoughts.

Walmart has a great little 4” fan that costs under $10. I’ve had one next to my bed for 3-4 years and it still works great. Mine has a regular plug. I just looked it up on the website and it now has a USB plug and adapter. It’s metal and comes in several colors.

Last year, my friend had her fan confiscated by Carnival. Since then,I’ve read that Princess is doing the same thing. Most cruise ships have several fans and will supply them if you request it. You can try that. My friend argued with Carnival. They wouldn’t give her back her fan until the end of the cruise, but did supply one. The only downside was that it was big and noisy. These little ones are very mild and not too much noise. I haven’t tried to take a fan on NCL lately, but confiscation seems to be happening more on all cruise lines.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have a couple of these. Great for the room AND to take out to the HOT ports or at the pool. They also double as power blocks for your phones if needed. Can run while plugged into a usb when using at night. VERY nice to have!

https://www.amazon.com/OPOLAR-Handheld-Operated-Foldable-Activities/dp/B07785Q1PX/ref=sr_1_18_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1530763707&sr=8-18-spons&keywords=battery+fan+portable&psc=1

Incorrect you say! You are very incorrect! In March on the Pearl my FAN sat in a room with hundreds of other fans. I had a piece of paper in my bag that said the fan was confiscated until the end of the cruise. I was able to pick it up the last night of the cruise.

It’s hard for me to sleep without the noise. I wasn’t happy at all. I wish the poster luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry that happened to you but instead of accepting the fact they took my fan and was unhappy... I asked the Captain, Hotel Director, and Chief Engineer at the Meet & Greet why an item was confiscated that was not on the prohibited list.... I had my fan 15 minutes after the Meet & Greet was over. Chief Engineer took a look at it and approved it.

Sorry that happened to you but instead of accepting the fact they took my fan and was unhappy... I asked the Captain, Hotel Director, and Chief Engineer at the Meet & Greet why an item was confiscated that was not on the prohibited list.... I had my fan 15 minutes after the Meet & Greet was over. Chief Engineer took a look at it and approved

There was more in fact to the story. You don’t think I would have settled with them taking my fan did you. I was indeed unhappy and felt like I needed it for sweet sleep. I confess. I’m hooked after 25 years or so of blissful fan air/noise inducing sleep.

I didn’t think of asking anyone at the Meet and Greet. But, I did tell my steward what happened. As he scratches his head. I asked him if he could accommodate me. I gave him a 20$ and although he was reluctant to do so. I actually had a fan before the Meet and Greet.

But like many I also sailed before with my fan. And a small three receptacle cord with surge protector.

I guess that’s why some may feel I’m full of chit...But this last cruise was not like any prior experiences I’ve had.

Sorry that happened to you but instead of accepting the fact they took my fan and was unhappy... I asked the Captain, Hotel Director, and Chief Engineer at the Meet & Greet why an item was confiscated that was not on the prohibited list.... I had my fan 15 minutes after the Meet & Greet was over. Chief Engineer took a look at it and approved

There was more in fact to the story. You don’t think I would have settled with them taking my fan did you. I was indeed unhappy and felt like I needed it for sweet sleep. I confess. I’m hooked after 25 years or so of blissful fan air/noise inducing sleep.

I didn’t think of asking anyone at the Meet and Greet. But, I did tell my steward what happened. As he scratches his head. I asked him if he could accommodate me. I gave him a 20$ and although he was reluctant to do so. I actually had a fan before the Meet and Greet.

But like many I also sailed before with my fan. And a small three receptacle cord with surge protector.

I guess that’s why some may feel I’m full of chit...But this last cruise was not like any prior experiences I’ve had.

And a small three receptacle cord with surge protector.

Ah ha therein lies the problem the SURGE PROTECTOR is a NO-NO - a simple extension cord OK !

Surge Protectors are not compatible with the electrical grounding of the ship's electricity.

A fan with a Surge Protector - perhaps only in use with computer desk top main frame - but an ordinary

everyday fan !!!???!!!

Glad you got your fan and the peaceful rest it provided !

Most certainly did not want for you to have to wedge open your cabin door and the balcony door in order

to have that RUSH of noisy air to aid in sleep ! LOL !

Weird I mentioned that a surge protector would cause a fan to be confiscated in my posts 19 and 24...... but you omitted that from your opinion when I was "incorrect"

But I'm still confused because if the fan was indeed confiscated, how did you have it in the room to then slip the room steward $20? I'm also a little skeptical that a steward would risk his job / life for $20 allowing a surge protector to be used...... especially since they've been told to unplug any unattended electronics. Knowing they have supervisors who may spot check their work and find the surge protector.....

but I guess there's still "more in fact to the story"

It is always hit or miss with any electrical device on any cruise. Pick any item, you will find plenty of people who have successfully boarded with it but if you look you will find stories of confiscations.

Their are plenty of small USB fans out there. I use one at work, plugged into my keyboard......https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=usb+desk+fan&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=229039714440&hvpos=1t1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=6082920044276182180&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9007331&hvtargid=kwd-296645690560&ref=pd_sl_5ypgsw8wul_e_p37

If it's just for the sound, I'd use an app on the phone/tablet. Space being somewhat limited both packing and in the cabin I'm not sure I'd want to take a fan if just for the noise, when a substitute is available.

I have a couple of these. Great for the room AND to take out to the HOT ports or at the pool. They also double as power blocks for your phones if needed. Can run while plugged into a usb when using at night. VERY nice to have!

https://www.amazon.com/OPOLAR-Handheld-Operated-Foldable-Activities/dp/B07785Q1PX/ref=sr_1_18_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1530763707&sr=8-18-spons&keywords=battery+fan+portable&psc=1

That fan is awesome! Sold. Heading over to Amazon right now. It makes me feel safer that it is USB charging too. I do have the proper converter plugs for Italy so USB charging seems much safer.

That fan is awesome! Sold. Heading over to Amazon right now. It makes me feel safer that it is USB charging too. I do have the proper converter plugs for Italy so USB charging seems much safer.

FANtastic! Just ordered one. My wife is going to love it!

My bad was sent to the naughty room in March because of my electric portable fan. FYI
Just curious..... did you get it back after the NCL Engineer checked it out?? Should have..... I did.

Something to do with wiring.....not sure exactly but I have travelled on numerous NCL trips with fan and no issue.... this last time, held and I got it back.

I have to sleep with the noise of a fan. Am I allowed to bring a small one? If so how does that work with having to put the card in the slot for electricity, can you turn all the lights off but still leave the card in? Sorry..we are new to cruising!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Forums mobile app

I have never heard of anyone bringing any sized fan on a cruise ship and my gut feeling is no!!! There are only one of two electric outlets in cruise cabins due to fire hazards. I don't know what else to say. I certainly do not know for certain if you can or can't.

I’m going on the getaway in October and bringing this fan. I’ve used it on 1 cruise so far with no issuese107ae394c03c4e0697f294688c5f05d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Prefer one of the attached fans. I just pull out the third prong so I can use a ship outlet

fan.JPG.3e5cda48f70ba9c76cc303acc881ad7b.JPG

Edited by Gampy1967
typo

This was actually funny 21 hours ago when it was first thought of.... [emoji1] [emoji106]

I know. I have never been called the quickest wit. Thought removing the ground post on the plug with all of the posts about outlets on the forum might add a little extra humor.

Incorrect. Item is not on NCL Prohibited Item List

https://www.ncl.com/prohibited-items

We have been traveling everywhere for almost 10 years with a small portable electric fan. 100% allowed everywhere! We not only use it for cooling, but white noise as well. We also bring an extension cord! The extension cord allows us to plug in the fan & our 2 phones to charge all at the same time. Curling irons & clothes irons are NOT allowed on ships due to their super hot heating elements. Too many people forget & leave them on. Carnival, Celebrity, Princess, NCL, Holland America, MSC - all have been done with a portable electric fan!

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app