Can you bring a fan?

I have to sleep with the noise of a fan. Am I allowed to bring a small one? If so how does that work with having to put the card in the slot for electricity, can you turn all the lights off but still leave the card in? Sorry..we are new to cruising!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Forums mobile app

Yes. You can leave a card in the slot with lights out. I need sleeping soft noise also. I just use a white noise app on my iPhone. Also, then my phone is fully charged next morning. My wife needs a fan frequently to cool while dressing or makeup. We bring a battery powered one that Walmart has, and a couple of extra batteries.

Maybe a battery operated one would be ok? I have one I take camping. It works great. If you decide to go that route look for one that holds the biggest batteries because it will give you the most bang for your buck.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have to sleep with the noise of a fan. Am I allowed to bring a small one? If so how does that work with having to put the card in the slot for electricity, can you turn all the lights off but still leave the card in? Sorry..we are new to cruising!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Forums mobile app

Have been on NCL many times and bring a small fan every time as my husband needs that. It has never been a problem and no one has said anything. It plugs into an extension that we bring. Also never been a problem. Always unplugged during the day when we're gone.

Ok, other fan fanatics, please tell me what type of fan you travel with. We are doing a late Sept 2019 Med Cruise and going to Venice then Rome. I'm afraid that in Rome in October it might still be warm, but I read some hotels will already have shut off the A/C. I need my fan!

BTW, I will not tell my DH I saw this thread. He hates a fan going at night.

As a "woman of a certain age" I turn on and off my little bedside fan all night. I never thought there might be a problem bringing this! Actually, if I had thought of a problem, it would've been whether there was an outlet near the bed to plug it in. So assuming bringing a fan is ok, is there an outlet near the bed to plug it in? I'll be on the Getaway next month in a balcony room.

As a "woman of a certain age" I turn on and off my little bedside fan all night. I never thought there might be a problem bringing this! Actually, if I had thought of a problem, it would've been whether there was an outlet near the bed to plug it in. So assuming bringing a fan is ok, is there an outlet near the bed to plug it in? I'll be on the Getaway next month in a balcony room.

We were on Getaway for Transatlantic and also Caribbean. Had our fan, but don't remember a plug being close by. We always carry a power strip with us as an extension cord.

Ok, other fan fanatics, please tell me what type of fan you travel with. We are doing a late Sept 2019 Med Cruise and going to Venice then Rome. I'm afraid that in Rome in October it might still be warm, but I read some hotels will already have shut off the A/C. I need my fan!

Once we tried using a battery operated one. Had to carry too many heavy batteries and they aren't the best to pack for airplanes. Since then carry a small 4" high velocity fan along with a power strip so we can use other electrical appliances also. When it comes to hotels, you will need the adaptors to plug it in that fit whatever country you are in.

Hmmm. I never thought about this; I've only done two cruises and they were before, as CruiseGal puts it, I was a woman of a certain age. I keep my bedroom quite cool nowadays. Isn't there a thermostat in the stateroom?

Traveling in Europe you should check the voltage 220v of your fan so you don't burn out a US fan 110v.

Of course operating it on the ship will not be a problem. For operating in a hotel a battery operated ***

*** think rechargeable batteries here ? or a USB powered fan will not be a problem either.

Ah - what we do to keep our cool !

Inquire further - What ship are you sailing on ? Readers response to electrical outlets - length of extension cord ?

I brought a small fan last year when we were on the Dawn and it was taken out of my luggage before my bags were delivered. It was a relatively small fan and brand new. When we departed at the end of the cruise all of the confiscated fans were on a table so that you could reclaim.

I brought a small fan last year when we were on the Dawn and it was taken out of my luggage before my bags were delivered. It was a relatively small fan and brand new. When we departed at the end of the cruise all of the confiscated fans were on a table so that you could reclaim.

Print out the prohibited item list and bring it to Guest Services and escalate to Hotel Director .... if it's not excluded it should be allowed. Unless the fan had some sort of surge protector built in it should have been allowed.

My mini blender was taken after many cruises with me. I think they can take anything that plugs in and call it a "fire hazard"...

A battery operated only fan is 100% allowed.

Print out the prohibited item list and bring it to Guest Services and escalate to Hotel Director .... if it's not excluded it should be allowed. Unless the fan had some sort of surge protector built in it should have been allowed.

My fan was confiscated at the Port of Seattle last year. I had guest services print out the prohibited items list (from my edocs, they said), which didn't list fans, but they would not return it to me until an electrician approved it.

I wish I would have thought to do that!!! It was a standard fan from Target. No bells & whistles. We are cruising again in August and I am going to try it again but I will be bringing a battery operated fan as a back up.

My fan was confiscated at the Port of Seattle last year. I had guest services print out the prohibited items list (from my edocs, they said), which didn't list fans, but they would not return it to me until an electrician approved it.
That's understandable because like I said.... some fans may have a surge protector, etc so get it approved and you get it back.... Disney Cruise Line does the same thing.

Hmmm. I never thought about this; I've only done two cruises and they were before, as CruiseGal puts it, I was a woman of a certain age. I keep my bedroom quite cool nowadays. Isn't there a thermostat in the stateroom?

Yes, there are thermostats in every room. We have had very few problems in the past getting the room cool enough. My issue is not with getting it cool enough but rather I have to have air circulating around me (and also like the white noise as well). Unfortunately, a phone app is not gonna provide the air.