Great Stirrup Caye - kayacks and snorkeling

GUEST71919

We will visit late Jan 2019 and wondered -

1. Is there decent snorkeling?

2. The price of the kayak rentals (I can’t find anything on this for this island or Harveat Caye)?

3. Is the water temp reasonable in Jan? I’ve seen figures that suggest it is only abt 79 which is only 1 degree over what usually is shown as safe for swimming (Red Cross, etc). Hate to wear a wet suit! :rolleyes:

2. The price of the kayak rentals (I can’t find anything on this for this island or Harveat Caye)?

3. Is the water temp reasonable in Jan? I’ve seen figures that suggest it is only abt 79 which is only 1 degree over what usually is shown as safe for swimming (Red Cross, etc). Hate to wear a wet suit! :rolleyes:

Harvest Caye Excursions:

https://www.ncl.com/shore-excursions/search?destination=Caribbean+Cruises%2CCuba+Cruises%2CPanama+Canal+Cruises&port=BPI&sort=price&sortOrder=asc&perPage=48

Great Stirrup Cay Excursions: https://www.ncl.com/shore-excursions/search?sort=price&perPage=48&destination=Caribbean+Cruises,Cuba+Cruises,Panama+Canal+Cruises&port=NPI

We've enjoyed nice snorkeling at GSC, but not at HC. Pricing will be approximately what shows in the links.

We've found the water temperature tolerable in both locations during Winter months (YMMV)! Certainly can be cold, but we have never worn a wetsuit!

Edited by ggTexasGal
additional input

We've been to GSC 5 times, July, September, December, February and March. The water temp only varies 3 degrees summer to winter in the Caribbean, too little to tell the difference. As reference, we've been to Hawaii 18 times and the water is roughly 8 degrees cooler than the Caribbean and it was never cold. Can't believe the Red Cross says 79 is the lowest to swim. In actuality, it will be perfect what every time of year you go.

I've been to GSC in November and December. The fall had been cool and the water felt cold for the November visit. I could only stay in for short amounts of time. The air was colder too and that didn't help. For my December visit the air and water temps had been warmer than average and the water was wonderful! So it could go either way for you but be prepared.

As for snorkeling, we entered the water in the small cove in front of the large cabanas, and along some large sunken blocks that stretch to the right from there. The snorkeling was decent for a shore. A good number of fish.

I don’t know about water temperatures, but our local beaches rarely get up to 80 (usually around 70 in the heat of the summer) and people spend hours in the water. My crazy kids have swam in the 50’s.

Thanks! I will take the short suit just in case!

We've enjoyed nice snorkeling at GSC, but not at HC. Pricing will be approximately what shows in the links.

We've found the water temperature tolerable in both locations during Winter months (YMMV)! Certainly can be cold, but we have never worn a wetsuit!

That is exactly what seemed to be the case judging from various reviews out there! I use to water temps in the South, so I may feel cold before most :rolleyes: but I will have a rash guard and short suit just in case and cross my fingers!

Water temps in the Bahamas in January are about 70 degrees. Too cold for me! :)

Yeah, that’s rough (and 8 degrees below what most medical experts say is without protection). I think I read the water in,the Bahamas is significantly cooler than most of the Caribbean.

We've been to GSC 5 times, July, September, December, February and March. The water temp only varies 3 degrees summer to winter in the Caribbean, too little to tell the difference. As reference, we've been to Hawaii 18 times and the water is roughly 8 degrees cooler than the Caribbean and it was never cold. Can't believe the Red Cross says 79 is the lowest to swim. In actuality, it will be perfect what every time of year you go.

I had thought I used 78, but may be had an iPad typo. You will just have to trust me on the Red Cross issue LOL I would not normally know, but we had many pools We are also a family of docs 😀 it sounds warm, but it’s far below our normal body temp. 78 is min recommended (Olympic pools use 77/78 as min acceptable temps). 70 is the hard number, below which is a “do NOT swim.”

Thanks for the info - my husband is half Hawaiian, but we are usually there around May. It’s cooler than I like sometimes, but not cold. But then you try to stay warm fighting the current! ;)

I've been to GSC in November and December. The fall had been cool and the water felt cold for the November visit. I could only stay in for short amounts of time. The air was colder too and that didn't help. For my December visit the air and water temps had been warmer than average and the water was wonderful! So it could go either way for you but be prepared.

As for snorkeling, we entered the water in the small cove in front of the large cabanas, and along some large sunken blocks that stretch to the right from there. The snorkeling was decent for a shore. A good number of fish.

Thanks so much for the snorkeling hint, I have noted that!!

We've been to GSC 5 times, July, September, December, February and March. The water temp only varies 3 degrees summer to winter in the Caribbean, too little to tell the difference. As reference, we've been to Hawaii 18 times and the water is roughly 8 degrees cooler than the Caribbean and it was never cold.

This is a good summary on water temps vs. air temps - 78/below breathing is effected, etc... When I cruise Canada I always think if someone went overboard there would be almost no point trying to locate them

http://www.coldwatersafety.org/WhatIsCold.html

The snorkeling can be decent and they have added sunken objects to attract fish. When we went to GSC for a February cruise the water was freezing to me. I was wearing a long sleeve rash guard and kept moving which made it tolerable for about 45 minutes. When I walked out my teeth were chattering. Brrrr!

Yeah, that’s rough (and 8 degrees below what most medical experts say is without protection). I think I read the water in,the Bahamas is significantly cooler than most of the Caribbean.

This sounds crazy to me, right now there are thousands of people wearing nothing but bathing suits in the ocean at the jersey shore, I’ve never even heard of anyone needing medical attention do to the cold water. https://www.currentresults.com/Oceans/Temperature/new-jersey-average-water-temperature.php

• 2 weeks later...
This sounds crazy to me, right now there are thousands of people wearing nothing but bathing suits in the ocean at the jersey shore, I’ve never even heard of anyone needing medical attention do to the cold water. https://www.currentresults.com/Oceans/Temperature/new-jersey-average-water-temperature.php

I have no clue what the sea temps are in NJ, but it doesn’t change the fact that water at those temps are cold for humans who have a very high core temp (and that are certain temps humans began showing effects, I don’t think I suggested you would die being in the water for a relatively short time if the temp is mid 70’s, just that the Red Cross warns against it since it *does* have negative effects that start below 78F). I assume they aren’t doing that in January?! Not for long anyway or people would surely have some problems if they remained there long. I was surprised by the “crazy” comment - it is not any crazier than saying the world is round, a fact is a fact. Don’t shoot the messenger. But I would guess this is not the right place to talk about climate change?! :')

Edited by 2Beeze

I have no clue what the sea temps are in NJ, but it doesn’t change the fact that water at those temps are cold for humans who have a very high core temp (and that are certain temps humans began showing effects, I don’t think I suggested you would die being in the water for a relatively short time if the temp is mid 70’s, just that the Red Cross warns against it since it *does* have negative effects that start below 78F). I assume they aren’t doing that in January?! Not for long anyway or people would surely have some problems if they remained there long. I was surprised by the “crazy” comment - it is not any crazier than saying the world is round, a fact is a fact. Don’t shoot the messenger. But I would guess this is not the right place to talk about climate change?! :')

I don’t mean to shoot you, but water temperatures here peak next week to around 73 F, and there are no wetsuits to be seen. Folks spend hours in the ocean here. https://www.google.com/amp/s/articles.nj.com/monmouth/index.ssf/2015/08/an_aerial_view_of_jam-packed_jersey_shore_beaches.amp?source=images