Formal nights

JollyMia

They are not strictly formal nights any more. You can dress up as much as you want but most women wear a nice dress and most men wear a shirt and tie or nice polo shirt. Shorts are frowned on.

The only requirement for men are long pants and a shirt with a collar. Jackets are not required and ties are not either!. Women have lots of choices as to what they can wear!

Some folks get very dressed up and many do not! It is up to you.

So no need for my Jacket???[emoji16]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Not at all. In fact, I don't even own a jacket or tie. I have no need for them, ever. Khakis or nice jeans and a polo are perfectly acceptable on cruise elegant night. Regular clothes (shorts & shirt) are fine every other night.

Sailings out of NYC tend to have more people dress more formally on the first Elegant Evening of the cruise. It will not be unusual to see some people wearing tuxes and gowns, with other ethnicities wearing what goes as formal in their home lands (ex Scots - dress kilts and tartan, Asian Indian - sherwanis and salwar kameez). An equal amount will do the bear minimum of dockers/khakis with a button down and women in capris with fancy blouses. The bulk will opt for something more to the middle, dress pants and shirt with either a sports jacket without tie or tie without jacket, with women doing a "dress to impress" club style clothing.

Since the second Elegant evening is generally on the last port night (second to last night on board) more opt for a much more casual look. So you might see many wearing a Hawaiian style shirt with dockers/khakis and sundresses Others just recycle their previous Elegant clothing with different color shirts or accessories.

My advice go with what you feel comfortable with, as long as it not shorts.

Sailings out of NYC tend to have more people dress more formally on the first Elegant Evening of the cruise. It will not be unusual to see some people wearing tuxes and gowns, with other ethnicities wearing what goes as formal in their home lands (ex Scots - dress kilts and tartan, Asian Indian - sherwanis and salwar kameez). An equal amount will do the bear minimum of dockers/khakis with a button down and women in capris with fancy blouses. The bulk will opt for something more to the middle, dress pants and shirt with either a sports jacket without tie or tie without jacket, with women doing a "dress to impress" club style clothing.

Since the second Elegant evening is generally on the last port night (second to last night on board) more opt for a much more casual look. So you might see many wearing a Hawaiian style shirt with dockers/khakis and sundresses Others just recycle their previous Elegant clothing with different color shirts or accessories.

My advice go with what you feel comfortable with, as long as it not shorts.

The Horizon sailings from NY have 2 days at sea at the end of the cruise before getting back but like you said the 2nd elegant night seems to be much more casual.:)

Bill