Solo Ketchikan?

Wanderlust_and_wine

My husband is doing a fishing excursion while in port at Ketchikan and I have zero interest in joining him. Does anyone have suggestions for things I might enjoy on my own for a few hours?

If you want something active, we did a tour with Southeast Kayaks and enjoyed it. We took the shorter tour that stays near the port.

Creek Street, the fish ladder and downtown shops are all within easy walking distance. Many also take the local bus to Totem Bight to see the totem poles.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The Visitor Center has a nice walking tour map of the town of you're a walker. The Tongass Historical Museum is near the upper end of Creek Street, with a nice exhibit of historical photos and artifacts. We wanted to go to the Totem Heritage Center but didn't because it was raining so hard.

Sent from my SM-G930R6 using Forums mobile app

My husband is doing a fishing excursion while in port at Ketchikan and I have zero interest in joining him. Does anyone have suggestions for things I might enjoy on my own for a few hours?

Depends on your interests. If a floatplane sounds interesting, check out http://www.islandwings.com/ We flew with Michelle last month and it is unforgettable.

All the best,

Richard

When in doubt, look for the town's web site:

Look under FUN STUFF on the left side of the page to find info on tours, hikes, flightseeing and the maps for a walking tour

http://www.experienceketchikan.com/

or download the Visitors Guide;

http://www.experienceketchikan.com/support-files/ketchikan-trip-planner-2018.pdf

When in doubt, look for the town's web site:

Look under FUN STUFF on the left side of the page to find info on tours, hikes, flightseeing and the maps for a walking tour

http://www.experienceketchikan.com/

or download the Visitors Guide;

http://www.experienceketchikan.com/support-files/ketchikan-trip-planner-2018.pdf

Very helpful links... thanks!

Hi,

I went to Ketchikan for the 1st time last September and visited the Totem Bight State Park + the Southeast Alaska Discovery Center + the historical downtown with Creek Street and Thomas Historic District.

I really enjoyed the Totem Bight State Park and spent one hour. FYI, fees entrance is $5 per person. There is a city bus, every hour with the silver line Northbound (from the dock to the park) and Southbound(to come back) line. The bus fare is only $2 per person one way ($5 for a day pass). It’s super easy and not far from the dock (the park is only 10 miles away).

I also recommend the Southeast Alaska Discovery Center if you are curious about Alaska’s history, wildlife, and natural environment.

If you’re interested I wrote an article about my Do It Yourself day in Ketchikan: http://daydreamunderthestars.com/2017/11/11/ketchikan-the-salmon-capital-of-the-world/

Let me know if you have any questions

Enjoy your trip!

Marie

Hi,

I went to Ketchikan for the 1st time last September and visited the Totem Bight State Park + the Southeast Alaska Discovery Center + the historical downtown with Creek Street and Thomas Historic District.

I really enjoyed the Totem Bight State Park and spent one hour. FYI, fees entrance is $5 per person. There is a city bus, every hour with the silver line Northbound (from the dock to the park) and Southbound(to come back) line. The bus fare is only $2 per person one way ($5 for a day pass). It’s super easy and not far from the dock (the park is only 10 miles away).

I also recommend the Southeast Alaska Discovery Center if you are curious about Alaska’s history, wildlife, and natural environment.

If you’re interested I wrote an article about my Do It Yourself day in Ketchikan: http://daydreamunderthestars.com/2017/11/11/ketchikan-the-salmon-capital-of-the-world/

Let me know if you have any questions

Enjoy your trip!

Marie

Thank you! Great article and your tips are very helpful and appreciated.

Michele:)

Hi. Can you give me more information about your husband's fishing trip? My husband wants to fish and I don't. I've only identified tours that require a four person minimum. Thanks in advance.

My hubby booked a halibut fishing trip with Baranof Fishing Excursions. They advertise on their website that walk-ups are welcome, so I'm guessing they fit singles in wherever they have room. Good luck!

The cheesy duck tour as mention earlier is a great way to kill a few hours for not a lot of money. It takes you all over the town several times, because it's not a big town LOL but they gave us a wonderful opportunity to see things that we wanted to explore a little harder on her own. So after we got off of the duck tour we did portions of the walking tour that is mentioned earlier by another poster. If it was me since I've already done the duck tour,I would probably do the totem poles and or possibly also the walking tour on my own. Ketchikan has great shops. The front is lined with the tourist trap shops that you see everywhere but down the side streets are lots of individually owned stores, many with some great jewelry and other gifts. Also lots of Art galleries and shops.

Ketchikan is very charming and has a lot to offer. On our most recent cruise, we did the Bering Sea Crab Fisherman's Tour. Maybe seeing pictures will help you decide. I'll post links below to my wife's website. Her pictures will give you an idea of what to expect.

Bering Sea Crab Fisherman's Tour Excursion

On one of our cruises, we walked around town and then ate lunch before returning to the ship.

Ketchikan Walk About

Have fun planning!

The cheesy duck tour as mention earlier is a great way to kill a few hours for not a lot of money. It takes you all over the town several times, because it's not a big town LOL but they gave us a wonderful opportunity to see things that we wanted to explore a little harder on her own. So after we got off of the duck tour we did portions of the walking tour that is mentioned earlier by another poster. If it was me since I've already done the duck tour,I would probably do the totem poles and or possibly also the walking tour on my own. Ketchikan has great shops. The front is lined with the tourist trap shops that you see everywhere but down the side streets are lots of individually owned stores, many with some great jewelry and other gifts. Also lots of Art galleries and shops.

That sounds fun! Thanks for the suggestion.

Ketchikan is very charming and has a lot to offer. On our most recent cruise, we did the Bering Sea Crab Fisherman's Tour. Maybe seeing pictures will help you decide. I'll post links below to my wife's website. Her pictures will give you an idea of what to expect.

Bering Sea Crab Fisherman's Tour Excursion

On one of our cruises, we walked around town and then ate lunch before returning to the ship.

Ketchikan Walk About

Have fun planning!

The pictures are great, and I appreciate you sharing. I'm finding out there's a lot more to do and see in Ketchikan than I originally thought!

The pictures are great, and I appreciate you sharing. I'm finding out there's a lot more to do and see in Ketchikan than I originally thought!
I'm glad you enjoyed the pictures. I'm sure you will enjoy yourself regardless of what you decide to do. The good thing is, there is always something you can see on your next cruise. [emoji4]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Forums mobile app