Need Advice for Port Canaveral Please

teacherman

Beginning to plan a family cruise (8 people) for next March 31 aboard Oasis of the Seas. We plan to fly from DTW to MCO on Saturday, March 30. Have not yet settled on transportation (one way car rentals or shuttle) but were wondering what those of you with experience think is better for us. Should we arrive at MCO and then go to PC and get a hotel for the night, or should we stay at an MCO airport hotel and then go to the ship the next morning? I do not know what would be a better "deal" as we will be needing 3 hotel rooms and 2 rental cars or 8 people in a shuttle. We do plan to take a shuttle back to MCO.

We have done many cruises but never from this port. Any information/advice is welcome. Thank you.

Since you ask for the "better deal" the answer is an easy one!

End of March is a busy time at the beach and rates are high IF you even get 3 rooms. You will generally pay much more per room night than staying near the airport - eg. Country Inn & Suites = $212 at Canaveral per night versus $130 at the Country Inn & Suites Airport!

With 8 in one family I would then hire a private shuttle van on the morning of your cruise from Cocoa Beach Shuttle or similar companies. Do not bother with a rental.

Edited by SteerageJoe

If you're getting a rental car(s) for less than 24 hours there's no real reason to stay at MCO airport, the rental car won't cost any less if you pick it up in the morning than it would the night before. And maybe drive an hour to get out of the Orlando area if you don't plan to do anything there. Shorten the drive to the port the next day.

It appears to me that the cheapest and easiest option would be to book a hotel near the airport that offers a free airport shuttle. There are several within a couple of miles for around $100/nt. Sunday morning, catch the shuttle back to the airport and book a Port Canaveral shuttle like GoPortCanaveral. That will be significantly cheaper than booking a private shuttle from your hotel to the port.

We prefer to stay in Orlando and drive to PC the morning of the cruise - 1000's of hotels in every price range. Unless you are flying in late I would not limit your hotel search to just those near MCO

I would say it depends on what time you land. If we have a late flight, we usually stay at the airport Hyatt and travel next day. This time we arrive early afternoon so we plan on renting a car and driving to Cocoa Beach so we can enjoy the day there.

It appears to me that the cheapest and easiest option would be to book a hotel near the airport that offers a free airport shuttle. There are several within a couple of miles for around $100/nt. Sunday morning, catch the shuttle back to the airport and book a Port Canaveral shuttle like GoPortCanaveral. That will be significantly cheaper than booking a private shuttle from your hotel to the port.

You might find this helpful:

http://cruiseportcanaveral.us/

BTW, many of the shuttles will pick you up at your hotel if it's near the airport. No additional charge. For example:

https://www.cortrans-shuttle.com/

We're a party of four sailing next March. We decided on staying at the Doubletree because of the restaurants within walking distance. We're taking a shuttle to the port the day of the cruise.