Travel with Zoll LifeVest Portable Defibrillator

bby31288

I go back to my cardiologist on a July 19. If I have to continue to wear my portable defibrillator will I have an issue boarding? I will be medically cleared by my doctor. Depending on my ejection fraction rate if I will still need to wear the LifeVest. Just wondering if anyone has had to travel with one.

First call Carnival special needs customer service see what they say. Second be aware that the medical staff on board may not be familiar with the device, Visit them when you get on board to explain it to them. In all probability the emergency response team will not know what it is and how to handle it.

Edited by flczr
Changes

I go back to my cardiologist on a July 19. If I have to continue to wear my portable defibrillator will I have an issue boarding? I will be medically cleared by my doctor. Depending on my ejection fraction rate if I will still need to wear the LifeVest. Just wondering if anyone has had to travel with one.

If you still have to wear it, contact your cardiologist and request a letter from them saying that you are wearing one. You will not be able to go through the x-ray because it will set it off that you are carrying metal on your body. They will pat you down instead and that will raise concern because they will be able to feel the vest. More than likely they will take you aside to a room and do a more thorough search. That will happen at the airport if you are flying too.

Then every time you re-board the ship, you will have to show them the letter. I wound up having to have a defibrillator installed. Now when I re-board the ship, I just point to my shoulder and they take me aside and pat me down. Good luck and for your sake, I hope you don't have to wear it much longer. They can be a PITA when the sensors flip from movement.

Thank you all. Yes a pat down will be alarming for them. The vest itself is quite bulky and has wires hanging off of it. I didn’t think to call carnival disabilities. Also there isn’t much to show them. If I go unconscious and stop breathing the vest will shock me. Although at some point I would probably need to be airlifted to a hospital. Hence why I bought insurance. I am hopeful to not be wearing it any longer. I’ve had it since April with no incidents. I pretend it’s a fashion statement!

I am hopeful to not be wearing it any longer. I’ve had it since April with no incidents. I pretend it’s a fashion statement!

FYI, if you have been wearing it since April, if they find that your rate hasn't improved, they will suggest you get a permanent defibrillator implanted. They recommend that you only use the external defib for three months. At least, that's what my cardiologist said. Best part is no more wires hanging and no more uncomfortable vest with it's alarm going off for no reason.

Hope everything works out for the better for you. Enjoy your cruise and try not to worry about it.

Hopefully, security will not think you are wearing a suicide bomb vest! The way you describe it, well, it may not be something they are familiar with. I would call ahead to Carnival's special needs desk and explain the situation. I doubt a letter from a doctor will be reason for security not to give you an intensive pat down, search and scrutiny.

Imagine the outcry if security did let someone on a ship because of a forged "doctor's letter" that anyone with a printer can produce, and they were actually wearing a bomb vest and detonated it on board the ship? YIKES!!!!

Wishing the OP stable health and a fun cruise!

FYI, if you have been wearing it since April, if they find that your rate hasn't improved, they will suggest you get a permanent defibrillator implanted. They recommend that you only use the external defib for three months. At least, that's what my cardiologist said. Best part is no more wires hanging and no more uncomfortable vest with it's alarm going off for no reason.

Hope everything works out for the better for you. Enjoy your cruise and try not to worry about it.

same thing for my husband, a permanent one after 3 months.:)

At this point I am happy to be alive! Yes if My ejection fraction isn’t high enough I’ll have a permanent one implanted. Insurance only covers the cost of the LifeVest for 3months. At least it’s only day stay surgery! It is bulky. My husband is always saying are you wearing your bomb vest. I have to remind him not to say that out loud. So now we call it Bev. I can have a pat down. I can go thru metal detector but the alarm will sound. Thankfully my alarm had never gone off. I do get some gong alarms if the sensor’s aren’t connecting to my skin. Lots of heads turn!

Hopefully, security will not think you are wearing a suicide bomb vest! The way you describe it, well, it may not be something they are familiar with. I would call ahead to Carnival's special needs desk and explain the situation. I doubt a letter from a doctor will be reason for security not to give you an intensive pat down, search and scrutiny.

Imagine the outcry if security did let someone on a ship because of a forged "doctor's letter" that anyone with a printer can produce, and they were actually wearing a bomb vest and detonated it on board the ship? YIKES!!!!

Wishing the OP stable health and a fun cruise!

The letter from the doctor is to tell security that they are wearing a vest, not to let them pass through without being patted down. As you mentioned, the vest may not be something that they are familiar with so a letter would give them a heads up.