NCL Gem

JellyBean07

We have an upcoming Gem cruise and were wondering about the dress preference of cruisers compared to Celebrity or HAL or RCL. From what I have read it seems to be pretty laid back and casual. Does anyone get dressed up i.e. dresses, jackets, good pants etc? What about at the specialty restaurants? We don’t want to pack things we won’t wear. Comments and recommendations appreciated.

the most dressed up we get is khakis and a polo when we dine at Cagneys or LeBistro. I usually wear a sundress and flip flops or a skirt, top and flops.

After seeing your signature I would consider you to be an NCL guru 😂 Thanks,

After seeing your signature I would consider you to be an NCL guru 😂 Thanks,

haha. yeah, our first i think 2 cruises we brought a garment bag with a suit, some ties, a couple of fancy dresses and then we were like "why are we doing this?". our new goal is to go carry on only for our caribbean cruises, as we each get a free bag of laundry being Plat and Plat Plus. we both are notorious overpackers so we'll see how this goes....

This will be our first cruise aboard the Gem , but we did thoroughly enjoy the only other NCL time we had aboard the Dawn in 2012, Quebec to Tampa......during Hurricane Sandy !

The majority of our other cruises have been with HAL and Celebrity, and quite frankly, I prefer the more casual vibe with NCL.

Not packing any suits, ties or bling for our upcoming Gem cruise, Manhattan to Quebec City, Sept. 8-19. Peter

I wear jeans and a t-shirt 90% of the time on NCL. I do bring one dress and slipper shoes and a pair of earrings to wear when we do our specialty dining or the more formal MDR for dinner. But I by no means HAVE to or expect other passengers to do so. I just like dressing up a little once in a while. I *think* there is a rule about "no shorts" in the formal MDR, Cagney's, and Le Bistro? But I don't know that it's enforced.

This will be our first cruise aboard the Gem , but we did thoroughly enjoy the only other NCL time we had aboard the Dawn in 2012, Quebec to Tampa......during Hurricane Sandy !

The majority of our other cruises have been with HAL and Celebrity, and quite frankly, I prefer the more casual vibe with NCL.

Not packing any suits, ties or bling for our upcoming Gem cruise, Manhattan to Quebec City, Sept. 8-19. Peter

Thanks Peter, maybe we will run into each other in September. Do you plan on going to the Meet & Greet?

I wear jeans and a t-shirt 90% of the time on NCL. I do bring one dress and slipper shoes and a pair of earrings to wear when we do our specialty dining or the more formal MDR for dinner. But I by no means HAVE to or expect other passengers to do so. I just like dressing up a little once in a while. I *think* there is a rule about "no shorts" in the formal MDR, Cagney's, and Le Bistro? But I don't know that it's enforced.

The "no shorts" rule is enforced but maybe not consistently. I've seen people wearing shorts turned away from the aft dining room on the Gem and the Pearl and directed to the other MDR. LeBistro is the only other restaurant that "requires" long pants.

We have an upcoming Gem cruise and were wondering about the dress preference of cruisers compared to Celebrity or HAL or RCL. From what I have read it seems to be pretty laid back and casual. Does anyone get dressed up i.e. dresses, jackets, good pants etc? What about at the specialty restaurants? We don’t want to pack things we won’t wear. Comments and recommendations appreciated.

Specialty restaurants or MDR -I wear khakis or chinos with a knit shirt.

Dress to please yourselves: there are some people who go all out and some people who don't try at all. You'll fit somewhere on that spectrum.

We dress for dinner, but not too formally. I usually bring black dress pants and a long black skirt, which I wear with some black tops. To avoid looking like a widow, I accent them with different colorful scarves or accent jewelry. Since everything is black, I can get by with one pair of shoes.

DH brings khakis, and wears either those or shorts with loud Hawaiian shirts. One pair of deck shoes gets him through.

For days, it is capris (Caribbean) or jeans (non Caribbean) and casual shirts.

I personally don't bring t shirts that say anything or wear athletic ware out and about, but there are plenty who do.