Why NCL?

dinkydee718

Free-style is the key. No assigned eating times unless YOU want to reserve a specific time at a specialty restaurant (all of which are WONDERFUL if you do go that route).

I'm a guy, and I wanted nothing to do with special dress-up nights. On NCL all you have to do is make sure you wear long pants at the main dining rooms or the specialty restaurants. Jeans are fine. Otherwise shorts are fine at the buffets, etc.

The thought of having to share a table with someone I don't know (as in assigned eating) horrifies me. I like to meet new people, but what if you get stuck with someone who doesn't let you get a word in edgewise throughout the entire meal. No thanks. I can't risk the possibility of that happening. NCL for me ALWAYS! :):):)

Free-style is the key. No assigned eating times unless YOU want to reserve a specific time at a specialty restaurant (all of which are WONDERFUL if you do go that route).

I'm a guy, and I wanted nothing to do with special dress-up nights. On NCL all you have to do is make sure you wear long pants at the main dining rooms or the specialty restaurants. Jeans are fine. Otherwise shorts are fine at the buffets, etc.

The thought of having to share a table with someone I don't know (as in assigned eating) horrifies me. I like to meet new people, but what if you get stuck with someone who doesn't let you get a word in edgewise throughout the entire meal. No thanks. I can't risk the possibility of that happening. NCL for me ALWAYS! :):):)

I guess in my experience these things aren’t unique to NCL (maybe they were at one time). I’ve had a table for two with no assigned dining time and not dressed up on Carnival and RCL.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I booked anytime dining with RCCL 2015, when We boarded we were forced into 8:30 pm set dining - anytime was oversold - it will be very hard for me to give RCCL another chance

Hmmm... we sailed 11 times and always got my time dining when we wanted. One time it was sold out (my fault, didn’t book my time prior we got 8:30, but were able to change to 6:30 after talking to MD)

Princess has officially 2 anytime dining restaurants since ... well our first cruise with them was in 2006. On Celebrity unless we get a table for two for time that we want we use their Select Dining.

One line which doesn’t offer choice dining for regular accommodations is Cunard.

I guess in my experience these things aren’t unique to NCL (maybe they were at one time). I’ve had a table for two with no assigned dining time and not dressed up on Carnival and RCL.

Sailed on Carnival in May for the first time in years. Was nice to see Your Time Dining offered but every night it was at least a 20-30 minute wait for a table, never had that happen in NCL main dining rooms.

Why have they been cancelling the 10 day cruises?

They're just cancelling specific cruises on the Pearl and Jade. Those are their 2 primary charter ships. They do it all the time. They make a ton of money on charters, so if someone wants one, they'll cancel the cruise scheduled for that time. I'd never those 2 ships from January through April, if I needed exact dates. That's the busiest charter season. Although if you're flexible, sometimes they give decent OBC for cancelling.

We booked our first cruise ever in 2013 with NCL because our TA recommended it from among the 2 or 3 cruises to which we had narrowed down our choices. The price was right, and she thought we'd enjoy the more casual atmosphere and Freestyle dining. She was right - we did.

And after that, they just sucked us in with future cruise credits and Latitude points. I'd like to try another cruise line some time for comparison, but my DH is hooked on these cruise credits. I forbid him from buying them on our last cruise in February, and yet...here we are booked on the Bliss with the cruise credits he bought in February.

And after that, they just sucked us in with future cruise credits and Latitude points. I'd like to try another cruise line some time for comparison, but my DH is hooked on these cruise credits. I forbid him from buying them on our last cruise in February, and yet...here we are booked on the Bliss with the cruise credits he bought in February.

That is exactly our "problem"! It's hard to beat the CruiseNext credits and the free category upgrade if you book while on ship. When we were on our first cruise on the Escape in February, we bought four CruiseNext deposts. Used two right away too book the Bliss for NEXT February while on ship. Then we ended up going on the Gem in June and bought four more CruiseNext credits (had a total of 6 at this point) and used two to book the Encore TA in November 2019 while on ship. Then shortly after we got home from the Gem, we used two of our credits to book the Escape for this October. And now my parents are going to be joining us on that cruise, so we are gifting them our remaining two credits. Which means we will almost definitely be buying more credits while on board the Escape in October, just so we can have some in the "bank" again! NCL knows how to get you hooked and how to keep you coming back for more!!!

One more thing we liked about NCL. They have an app you can buy for your phone for around $20 per phone which allows you to make calls while on the ship so we did not need the wifi package to keep up with each other. Saves a lot & no need to purchase walkie talkies!

Sent from my LGMS210 using Forums mobile app

I would love to hear more about this app....what is it called? Do you have to wait until you are on the ship to download?

I would love to hear more about this app....what is it called? Do you have to wait until you are on the ship to download?

It's called iConcierge and you can download and install it ahead of time, but it won't actually work or do anything until you are on board. Here are some details on the NCL site: https://www.ncl.com/apps#d4m2

They leave from New York (I don't cruise CCL and I don't want to go to Jersey for RCCL.) So it's easy to hop on when we want a quick trip and don't have the time to, or feel like flying.

You don't have to share tables.

Sometimes you run into familiar friendly faces either with passengers or staff.

The perks from Platinum plus are nice but not a deciding factor.

I do cruise with other lines but we know NCL and are used to it. And this combined with #1 & #21 are the biggest reasons of all. If I'm going on a vacation to relax and not for adventure, I prefer not to be surprised. I know what's going to happen with NCL and have probably been on the ship at least once before. I like the familiarity.

Well.. NYC, NJ are our main ports aside from Boston, Baltimore and Florida.

I love leaving from NYC, but it’s $40 per day vs $20 per day from other ports including NJ.

One main negative for us with NCL for colder sailings is that ships don’t have covered pools and/or solariums for regular accommodations, so we only can pick NCL for April - September ones.

Also for me personally WiFi quality and cost.

By the end of this year we’ll have 8 with NCL and 13 with RCCL.

RCCL is starting to win us over by Diamond benefits (Open bar for 3.5 hours a day, 2 free photos).

Other than this we like NCL.

We actually like Jewel and Dawn classes more than Breakaway class.

Big plus for us is that NCL does 3 Days in Bermuda.

Sailed on Carnival in May for the first time in years. Was nice to see Your Time Dining offered but every night it was at least a 20-30 minute wait for a table, never had that happen in NCL main dining rooms.

No wait even at prime dinner time (6:30-8?) Impressive.

No wait even at prime dinner time (6:30-8?) Impressive.

There is, there is wait.. even at 5:45 when we sometimes arrive. Not 20-30 minutes but it does exist.

I have only been on one cruise ( so far) and that was with NCL - I went to all the major cruise lines websites and registered with them all - NCL were the only ones to bother to send me an email asking if I needed any help or advice - I told them straight I wasn't even sure I wanted to do a cruise but we had been to Barbados like 10 times and wanted to see some more islands - I asked them what they suggested - my PCC put together a few options and we chose one we liked the look of - booked everything through him - I wasn't sure we would like it but hey ho we would see some more Caribbean Islands and decide where to go next. Turns out we loved it, and enjoyed the ship more than the islands - booked again for next March ( with the same PCC ) and now he is like a friend - he invited us the Bliss inaugural from Germany as his guests but we were working ( gutted) - looking at Panama Canal for 2020 and maybe Far East for 2021 - don't think I will do a land based holiday again - I was amazed how much we loved cruising

DinkyDee --

To answer your original question - Why NCL?

We choose all cruises based first on itinerary & value. We enjoy Celebrity, NCL & Princess. Living in Alaska - we generally leave the state for 2+ weeks at a time & are seeking 12+ Nights cruising. As a general rule - we like the smaller intimate ships. Although we enjoyed both the NCL Epic & Regal Princess.

Our upcoming Transpacific will be our longest, starting w/ a day in Vancouver & 19 Days on the ship, plus 5 days in Japan. We use the cruises to achieve 3 goals: Relaxation, Fun & Research. We use the ports as a taster for places we'd like to return, via a land trip. This is will be our first NCL cruise in a couple of years & are looking forward to the new ports to visit & all the Sea Days on this trip!!!

Cheers -- Von & John

Edited by Von & John

Jamie --

Happy to see you were able to convince your parents to join you!

Cheers -- Von & John

That is exactly our "problem"! It's hard to beat the CruiseNext credits and the free category upgrade if you book while on ship. When we were on our first cruise on the Escape in February, we bought four CruiseNext deposts. Used two right away too book the Bliss for NEXT February while on ship. Then we ended up going on the Gem in June and bought four more CruiseNext credits (had a total of 6 at this point) and used two to book the Encore TA in November 2019 while on ship. Then shortly after we got home from the Gem, we used two of our credits to book the Escape for this October. And now my parents are going to be joining us on that cruise, so we are gifting them our remaining two credits. Which means we will almost definitely be buying more credits while on board the Escape in October, just so we can have some in the "bank" again! NCL knows how to get you hooked and how to keep you coming back for more!!!

We have sailed in Carnival, became loyal RCCL cruisers because it was better food and service than Carnival. The took 2 disney cruises for our little one ( he loved) but dislike the forced dining options and then last month we tried NCL Bliss. It was the BEST vacation/ cruise/ entertainment we ever have. Food blew us away of choices, the extreme happy employees smiling all the time. Then one day into our cruise, i had a hard time finding chicken tenders for my son and asked the head chef for them. He made a few calls and got them from another kitchen. I go into our cabin and we get a call from the Maitre'D of the Manhattan . He was informed about our son limited eating choice and he arranged that we can get him tenders at the burger area of the buffet as well as any dining room we went. At dinner, he came in person to introduce himself and let us know all was taken care off. After day one, he had tenders anywhere we went. This for us was above all. NCL crew was the most pleasant we have ever encounter. Besides this, the food is superior, the ability to eat at any time, the amount of choices at night, the camp personnel was the most enthusiastic we have ever encounter( even over Disney). My son told us NCL camp was the best. These are just some examples of customer care NCL has. If you need something, just ask :)

I'm curious...Why do you book NCL instead of other cruise lines?

Though I like the cruise line, I don't have much to compare it to. Been on DCL a few times, but my kids were younger and it was a totally different cruise experience. I honestly booked my August cruise on NCL because it was around 2:00am and it was the only cruise line that let me do an online booking for six people into one cabin! lol

I've been on five cruise lines, three times on NCL, I have three more booked, and I don't like Freestyle Dining. I also don't like getting dressed up just to eat dinner. Each cruise line has something good to offer. Each cruise line does some things better than the others. I book different cruise lines because I like to experience different things. I have reached the second highest loyalty tier on Carnival, Royal Caribbean, and Princess. Soon I'll reach the second highest tier on NCL. There are at least three, and perhaps five other cruise lines I would like to try.