The Baths in Tortola

Hello Everyone,

We are cruising December 2019 on NCL Encore. When in Tortola I would like to visit the Baths but I have read so many horror stories of crowds and tour guides not helpful and rude...some say only spent an hour there and it isn't enough time etc etc.

Has anyone just went on their own? Get a Taxi or shuttle and go there yourself so your not on a time limit. Is it possible to do that? If so...who did you go through and how much was it?:confused::confused: :confused::confused::confused:

Let me know what else there is to do in Tortola because I have no interest in "the baths." I have never been but just looking at the endless videos of the place does not impress me. OMG! Giant rocks on the beach!!!! Endless tourists marching back and forth over and through rocks. Big deal. Are excursions this desperate in Tortola? Any good beaches to hang out all day? I saw on someone's cruise video the island is very conservative and does not allow swim suits to be worn around town among other things. I wish NCL would bring St Maarten back.

OP, while the place does not impress me, I have not read any bad stories (yet). Many seem to enjoy the trip. I will be on Encore a few months after you. Let me know what you decide ;)

The Baths are not actually on Tortola. They are located on Virgin Gorda. It's a short ferry ride to Virgin Gorda.

We did this on our own 3 years ago. You may want to Google "ferry from Tortola to Virgin Gorda". They run a very reliable ferry service between the islands. You then catch a shuttle to bring you from the dock to the Baths. We spent a half day at Virgin Gorda, caught the ferry back to Tortola, and then spent the rest of the day hanging out in Road Town, Tortola near the cruise dock. Drank a few Painkillers and really enjoyed them.

The British Virgin Islands suffered significant damage during the past hurricane season. Please visit their attractions and help them recover.

Hello Everyone,

We are cruising December 2019 on NCL Encore. When in Tortola I would like to visit the Baths but I have read so many horror stories of crowds and tour guides not helpful and rude...some say only spent an hour there and it isn't enough time etc etc.

Has anyone just went on their own? Get a Taxi or shuttle and go there yourself so your not on a time limit. Is it possible to do that? If so...who did you go through and how much was it?:confused::confused: :confused::confused::confused:

If you go to the Tortola port of call boards there are plenty of threads on how to get to the Baths on your own. It is easy to do. You certainly don't need a tour guide, but unless you want to stay and swim 60 - 90 minutes is more than enough time to crawl through the rocks, and hike back up the hill.

BTW someone said it is a short ferry ride. I would disagree that it is short, it is about 45 minutes each way.

The Rebel Yell catamaran excursion to White Bay on Jost Van Dyke is Fabulous! The White Bay beach is beautiful and the Soggy Dollar Bar is famous for its Painkilles.

It is a popular place for a reason! This is my husbands favorite excursion that we have done! It is a large area so yes there are some crowds but we were able to see everything in our shore excursion time frame. We booked through NCL when we were on the Escape. The ferry is about 45 min but it wasn't a bad ride (even got a good nap in ;) I know they offer an excursion where you can swim into the Gorda with a Guide. We did the non-guided excursion and moved at our own pace and did our own thing. We took the ferry and then were shuttled over!! Best to go with the earliest tour (as we did) that way crowds won't be such an issue!!! Oh and I recommend water shoes!!!

Hope this helps! If you have any specific questions let me know!

The Rebel Yell catamaran excursion to White Bay on Jost Van Dyke is Fabulous! The White Bay beach is beautiful and the Soggy Dollar Bar is famous for its Painkilles.

This is the winner. Jost Van Dyke is the best beach I have ever visited.

We loved Virgin Gordo and it wasn't all that crowded, but we did it years ago. The only thing I would say is, the experience ins't for people who are totally out of shape. Still be sure to enjoy yourself. Yes, we too did the excursion with the ship, though we do not always book this way.