Carnival tipping to Bag Porters

20 hours ago, rolloman said:

Agreed about Miami.

A few years ago I pulled up to the curb in Miami, pulled the bags out of the car and rolled them to where other passenger bags were being staged. A porter walks over, takes one of the bags and asks where is my tip? I was like... tip for what? He said in order for my bags to make it on the ship... I said where is your supervisor and I followed him as he pointed toward where he was. I asked the supervisor for his name and if this is your practice? He said no and called over the porter who of course denied saying it...I took a picture of the Supervisor and I told him I hold him responsible for my luggage making it on the ship and that was that.

Anyway, my bags did make it on the ship

but certainly not the way I wanted to start off a cruise. 

Thank you for handling this corruption in the proper manner!

This is what happens

when the absurd Amerikin process of tipping everyone in sight,

gets out of hand!    Those of us who are not American .... cringe.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/8/2022 at 6:12 AM, rolloman said:

I tip but only a dollar or two per bag. If the guy sits and watches me pull the bags out of the car and still does not flinch as I roll them to his feet...he gets nothing. 

I generally tip $1 per bag, or $5 for 3 bags.  

However, back in the glory days of Faster to the Fun, I'd surreptitiously watch the porter and if he noticed the FTTF "Priority" logo on the luggage tags and wrapped an orange Priority tag on the bag without prompting, I'd point to that and tip an additional $5.  

On 4/8/2022 at 10:52 PM, DPTexas said:

We tip him well because he provides a personal service, is friendly, and we don't have to lift or worry about our bags.  We also tip the shuttle driver, as well as those that load the bags onto the shuttle bus at the parking garage.  We are not rich but have family members who have worked for tips and know how hard that can be.  As in all my tipping everywhere, I do it for the service provided and as a "thank you" for the person being there to do it. 

Same here, pretty much.  I've worked for tips and have done quite well with them ("within 30 minutes or it's $3 off!" -- pizza delivery hustling for the win).   I tip for most service-oriented tasks, and bump it up for extra effort or an extra pleasant attitude.  (I'm a softie; I have a low bar for both of those. 🙂 )  

5 hours ago, Pellaz said:

I generally tip $1 per bag, or $5 for 3 bags.  

However, back in the glory days of Faster to the Fun, I'd surreptitiously watch the porter and if he noticed the FTTF "Priority" logo on the luggage tags and wrapped an orange Priority tag on the bag without prompting, I'd point to that and tip an additional $5.  

Same here, pretty much.  I've worked for tips and have done quite well with them ("within 30 minutes or it's $3 off!" -- pizza delivery hustling for the win).   I tip for most service-oriented tasks, and bump it up for extra effort or an extra pleasant attitude.  (I'm a softie; I have a low bar for both of those. 🙂 )  

Agree when you "work for tips" it is an important issue but these porters are union longshoremen and make very large salaries so much that you would really be shocked......some in the six figure bracket!

• Like 2

On 7/20/2018 at 1:56 PM, Bernardo62 said:

Some people just guess and have no clue of who the "porters" are...

I think 1 person knew they are LONGSHOREMEN

You would be surprised how much they get paid before your tip

LONGSHOREMEN start off at 6 figures and have a union

So with your tip for (7 days a week) they go home with a nice wage - - - $1,500+ (TAX FREE) remember it's cash!!

Do they go in the ship- - -- NOOOOOO

Will your bag get lost if you don't tip them - - - -MAYBE

I live in a port city and we have Longshoreman. I worked at a bank where a lot of them bank. They make $$$$$$!