Gratuities

lippi1970

Man, I remember when we went to England in late 80s....it was almost $3 to 1 pound! Amazing how times change

In 2001 it was just about even Steven. In 2006 it was $1.5 or maybe a bit more to 1 pound. It is what it is. You either accept the exchange rate and enjoy your trip or choose to not go there. I remember in 2006 I was shocked at how much a beer cost in London. But I still tipped the bartender.

We chose to not travel to Europe again until this past summer.

Another point might be how come you tip loving Americans book a cruise and then if a promotion comes along with included gratuities many seem to say great! 15 day cruise we saved $450 by switching. :confused:

Do you really think the cruise line is going to put that $450 into the pot on your behalf? or perhaps you think, well I was expecting to have to pay that so I will take an extra $450 in cash and distribute it to make sure the staff get it and will still give the barmen extra$

Yes. In the past the cruise lines had sales that lowered the price of the cruise. This led passengers waiting to book in hopes of seeing lower pricing. Now the cruise lines maintain "price integrity" by not lowering fares for a sale. Instead they keep the price about the same and add amenities such as a beverage package or fee gratuities or OBC or.... to lower the effective cost of the cruise.

This seems to be working as companies such as CCL Corp and RCCL Corp report that advance bookings are up at higher ticket pricing.

Now the cruise lines maintain "price integrity" by not lowering fares for a sale. Instead they keep the price about the same and add amenities such as a beverage package or fee gratuities or OBC or.... to lower the effective cost of the cruise.

This seems to be working as companies such as CCL Corp and RCCL Corp report that advance bookings are up at higher ticket pricing.

My problem with that is that the included gratuities were included as part of the 3 for free which was NOT limited to NEW/advance bookings but was available to current bookings BUT not in the UK.

I dont see any reason why they could not have extended the offer to the UK to Included gratuities or a Bev Package and so " lower the effective cost of the cruise. " without it undermining ALL??? the advantages that we are supposed to have (BUT no-one seems able to define) that makes it so we have to cancel and rebook losing any deposit paid.