How Bad is Jamaica?

Lhound92

We are looking for an all adult great resort there if you here of any! Not the clothing optional ones, just regular ;p. We have been to fantastic ones in Cancun but want to switch it up a bit.

Resortforaday dot com has many resorts and a few that are adults only. I love the Hyatt Zilara. It's adults only.

Somewhat over dramatic.

Millions of people visit Jamacia every year and have a fantastic time.

Maybe half a dozen times myself both by air and sea.

Looking forwards to visiting again in October.

Agreed. We absolutely loved Jamaica. We hired a private driver through Marvyn's and went to Dunn's River which was amazing. After that we did some shopping in downtown Ochi and ate at John Crows Tavern which had the best jerk chicken I'd ever had. We'd love to go back to Jamaica!

We are from NY and see policemen heavily armed daily, some even with assault rifles. We used two different private tour companies in Jamaica, and are returning soon, and will use another one. As to the people selling their wares, just say no, walk on, or ignore them.

Safe sailing

Sent from my SM-N950U using Forums mobile app

Bad things can happen anywhere. With that said, always be smart when travelling. Do not leave your valuables on the beach under a towel or chair, don't flash around a lot of cash, and pay attention to your "gut" (if you get a bad feeling/vibe, it's probably not a good situation)

I am so amazed to see people are still using Peat Taylor as a guide. We've used him twice in the past once on a cruise stop and once while staying at an All Inclusive. We love Jamaica. Could the person who used him post his current contact information for me? We may use him again when we go on our anniversary cruise.

• 2 weeks later...
I think most of them are clothing optional. We love Couples in Ocho Rios. They have an actual nude island accessible by boat, so there was no nudity at the actual resort, you had to go to the island.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK, come on. This is completely untrue. Out of the 50 or so resorts in Jamaica, there is one "clothing optional" - Hedonism II - Adults only, and the Couples with the clothing optional island. Other than that the resorts are gorgeous, most of them family friendly, some adults-only, but absolutely beautiful. There are a ton of resorts that you can do a day pass to as well.

I agree with the posters that say it's beautiful. Here's my tip....get away from the port!!! That's where the people are going to hang to try and get money and get you to purchase things (yes, including ganja), but if you get away from the ship, you'll experience the beauty that those staying in the resorts see when they go.

• 4 weeks later...
I will say that Jamaica is the only port I have ever stayed on the ship. The very first time we went off the ship there were armed guards, with machine guns. That alone made me a bit nervous. We went on our own to Margaritaville assuming that this would be a safe place, and it was. Hubby and I got drinks and our son (8) played on the man-made beach and we swam for hours. Had a great time! However, getting a taxi back we were told one price and halfway through the ride, we were told another (price doubled). The driver made it very clear that we would not get back to the ship unless we paid..... I believed him. That was the last time we ever got off in Jamaica.

If you go, please be careful. There are several people that love it, but if you go - go with an excursion. Hopefully a larger group. I know crime can happen anywhere, but I've never had an experience like the one I had there.

There is a man made beach at Margaritaville?

We're making our second visit to Jamaica this winter. We did Dunn's River Falls and Raggae Hill first time. It was a blast! Looking forward to river tubing and Bamboo Beach this time around. Beautiful island and delicious food. Go and enjoy!
Are u doing a ship excursion or private?

Sent from my SM-T550 using Forums mobile app

I am so amazed to see people are still using Peat Taylor as a guide. We've used him twice in the past once on a cruise stop and once while staying at an All Inclusive. We love Jamaica. Could the person who used him post his current contact information for me? We may use him again when we go on our anniversary cruise.

Peat Taylor infoFDE353EF-EE3A-4C43-ADA4-B4EBFEA08796.thumb.png.0ce1084c7e5053186f5c55a43cb51538.png

• 2 weeks later...

Like everywhere you have to be sensible. I have been to Jamaica twice on vacation (once as a lone female!) and also as a cruise start, stop and unscheduled extra stop. Always best to do organised excursions but once you have 'done' Jamaica then is gets tricky to fill your time. Resort/beach passes are an option. Men seem to get the ganja offers and females the marriage proposals lolll 

Ricks Cafe Negril has the iconic rock jumping and Dunns Falls kills some time. Yes the locals try selling you stuff but when the ship sails or the main tourist season ends what do they do?

I know this is an older topic but does seem like something people will look at in the future so...re Nassau

went on a ship sponsored tour to view the city and visit a bedraggled garden/bird sanctuary with parrots in little dark cages. Ok. Now back to the ship. Big line to get through customs/Jamaican security and be processed onto the dock. Fine. Lots of people lined up and a couple of guys in military type camo uniforms going along the line and asking to see people's ID. Assumed they were trying to speed the line along. NO AUTHORITIES STOPPED OR QUESTIONED THEM. Because of course they were not any kind of security personnel. I didn't realize that until I handed over my drivers license and he took a picture of it with his cell phone. Really! Even then I didn't quite grasp what had happened until a very loud and indignant Italian woman asked me why did I do that. "He's no one!!!" This tookplace in public under the eyes of Jamaican police or port security or whatever they were. The two or three guys just strolled away and talked for a while, then left. They had been approaching various people up and down the line in "secure area" in front of the ship. Just saying I wouldn't get off the ship in Nassau again.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Having been to Falmouth, I don't think it's dangerous. Concerns about safety are overblown.

That said, it can be quite uncomfortable and the likelihood you'll be harassed by aggressive touts as you leave the port if you're self-touring is really high.

We left the port in Falmouth intending on doing a walking tour with a map we had. We attracted several tout/guides that insisted on following us and when we declined the drugs, sex and tour services that we were offered he started screaming at us for being racist americans. He would not leave us alone and continued to scream and swear at us for blocks. We were nothing but polite.

We've dealt with aggressive touts all over the world from Thailand to Egypt to Central America and have never experienced anything so dramatic.

We ended up discontinuing our walking tour after a couple of blocks and heading back to the ship. Port is pretty sterile and boring.

The only people that seemed to have a good time were those that arranged tours. I think there is safety and a better experience in numbers in Falmouth - I would not recommend self touring if you're planning to leave the port.

We spent a week on a vacation in Jamaica and we just got back from a cruise with a stop there.  We did an excursion to a resort through the ship.  I only went through the ship because I couldn't get to this resort unless booked directly so we did.  On the way to the resort, the tour guide told us what type of language they spoke (besides English) and said it tends to be very loud and direct sounding like they are mad and they aren't.  It is just the culture.  We had a great time.

As for armed guards, I would be surprised if I didn't see any.  20 years ago I had my vehicle stopped at a road block on the Baja and had it searched by Federales.  With automatic guns!  :classic_huh:  We have been off on Roatan and have pictures of the armed soldiers.  The only place I can think of right now that didn't have armed security has been Alaska.  Oh, maybe the private islands.  I don't tend to think of armed security as equaling danger.  It is a presence.  Something as a deterrent.  When I go in uniform to an event, I don't think I am necessarily putting my life on the line (although it could happen).  I am there to deter the stupid people from acting.  Not that it is inherently dangerous to attend the function.  Just that people need a little reminder to act mature. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/18/2018 at 2:56 PM, sturderick said:

We are looking for an all adult great resort there if you here of any! Not the clothing optional ones, just regular ;p. We have been to fantastic ones in Cancun but want to switch it up a bit.

Sunset At The Palms in Negril is an adult only, boutique style resort. 

We adore it!!

• 3 weeks later...

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/3229566721

I walk 8.9 miles around Ocho Rios last week.  See the link above where I walk to.

2x when I want to cross the road, the Jamaicans stop the cars and helped me cross the road.  I dont see anything dangerous.  Just use common sense and dont wander to the alley ways.