Flights miami

dgm9610

I’ve had a problem with an Uber driver picking me up at Port Everglades but not Miami. They seem to be very familiar with the port and they usually call so they know where I’m at. There can be a line for the taxis and sure if time is getting tight, I would do it. But I’ve never had to wait more than like 3 min for an Uber. Plus they are a lot nicer than those nasty cabs and I love the fact that I don’t have to fumble with cash or credit card to pay. 

Good thing is you have a couple options. One of which shouldn’t include the shuttle. I avoid the airline delay and worrying about getting to the ship on time by flying in the day before. I don’t like being at the mercy of going through a middleman for my flights. Besides I go mostly on points anyway so I have to do it myself. 

1 hour ago, BNBR said:

That's because Port Everglades you have to go through a security check, Miami you don't.

No it wasn’t that. The guy got lost once he got inside. He turned right instead of going straight. I had to chase him down with suitcase in tow. Actually, I had an issue with the Uber driver on the way there too. He couldn’t seem to find the way from the hotel to the port. They definitely aren’t as familiar with it as they are in Miami. Either that or I got two bum drivers on the same trip. 

On ‎7‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 7:31 AM, beerman2 said:

You will have those that say they've made morning/early morning flights. Don't be one of those, you would be adding stress to the last day of cruise.

The cruise lines say after noon for a reason. Too many things can go wrong medical emergency, weather, engine problems, customs delays.

Much rather wait at airport than scramble/rush to get there.

Go with a 1:00 PM flight or later. Depending on traffic- MIA 15-25 min, FLL- 35 to 50 min. PBI would be over an hour. If you can stay a night on Miami Beach and enjoy.

23 hours ago, RW_MI said:

I'm trying to decide if I should use Carnival transfers or grab an Uber (or Lyft) to get back to the airport.  Our itinerary says we get to Miami at 8:00.  My flight leaves at 12:06. 

This is just to address the Carnival transfer vs. a Taxi. 

1)  As stated above, Carnival Transfer bus doe not leave until it is fully loaded.  Getting luggage off at the airport will take a while even if you are first off.  Trip will take much more time if you are in a hurry.

2)  Check out the price of Transfers vs. the flat fee for a Taxi from Port of Miami to MIA.  Taxi is a flat fee of $27 for up to 5 people.  Many times I have asked someone waiting in line if they are going to the MIA and willing to split a cab.  Works of about $15/ couple including tip.  Willing to bet Carnival transfer cost is equal or more than a taxi ride.

3)  Uber will be even cheaper for 2 than a Taxi.

Edited by HawkIVette

I’ve used Uber for my last two cruises and it was fantastic. Our Uber literally pulled up within 60 seconds of requesting it. It was a bit amusing to see the long line of people queued for a taxi while we hopped in our Uber so quickly and drove away.

About flight times: We’ve made flights as early as 8:30am BUT we weren’t planning on taking such an early flight. We just happened to get to the airport in time to standby for an earlier one. My suggestion is to book a flight after 11:30am but familiarize yourself with your airline’s standby policies. Some will allow you to take an earlier flight free of charge while others may allow you to do so for a small fee. 

And finally, there will be times when everything will line up perfectly to catch an earlier flight, but there will also be times when nothing will line up, even for a later flight.

My most extreme case was aboard the Destiny out of New York. We couldn’t dock for hours because of strong currents in the Hudson River. When the Captain finally made the decision to dock, we slammed against the pier, scraping the side of the ship. We were not allowed to get off for another hour while damage was assessed. Finally, we got off the ship, but with everyone trying to debark at the same time, the cruise terminal and customs were absolute chaos. Desperation and claustrophobia set in for many as we stood, tightly packed in non-moving lines. In the meantime, a mob of passengers for the next cruise were waiting outside the terminal blocking those trying to exit. We finally made it to JFK airport around 5pm. We had called the airline from the ship and informed them of our predicament, and they protected us on a 7pm flight.  

So morale of the story is to ALWAYS have a backup plan, even if you’ve booked a flight that you consider to depart at a safe time. 

I always book flights after 11:00 am just so I won't stress, but I have made it to the airport as early as 8:05.  If you take your luggage off yourself, grab a cab or an uber, have TSA pre-check, and don't check bags, there's a great chance you will make an early flight.  Also, let guest services know you have an early flight and you should be able to get off of the ship around the time the FTTF people do.   We always get in line at least 1/2 hour before the time posted and breeze through everything, including security at the airport.

IF you do self-assist debarkation and get off the ship as soon as you can, and have reliable transportation arranged for, I would say the earliest flight to take would be 10am, and even that's a little bit of a gamble.  One time, customs didn't start allowing for passengers to get off the ship until about 8:15am.  That was the last cruise that I ever did the zone debarkation, as my zone was 1 hr and 15 minutes late in being called off the ship, and they misplacced one of my bags (thankfully I found it at the opposite end of the terminal from where it was supposed to be.)  You never know what is going to happen at debarkation.