Strangest food in Bermuda?

Billzilla66

DH & I as well like trying weird food. But nothing in Bermuda seemed weird at all. Pepper jelly was a big thing. You'll find fresh fish (I think it's cod) and fish chowders. Rum cakes, which you find in Bahamas. The only thing I found there that I hadn't had elsewhere was Dark & Stormy (rum and ginger beer). I didn't care for it, but it wasn't anything weird.

I'm a foodie and enjoy all kinds of food, even if it can seem a little bit odd. I have had horse sashimi in Tokyo before. So what would you say is the strangest food in Bermuda?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

The strangest food in Bermuda is Kentucky Fried Chicken.....[emoji854]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't necessarily knock KFC. In some markets, the spice mix is more to local flavor.

Also McDs, has different offerings in different markets.

Just saying.

You didn’t get the joke. KFC is the only fast food restaurant in Bermuda. There is only the one KFC in Hamilton and there are no McDs in Bermuda. The KFC exists because it predates the ban on foreign owned restaurant chains. So that makes it strange. It’s also wonderful that

It’s also wonderful that there are no McDs in Bermuda. One of the reasons I love Bermuda. So there is no local McD spice mix to try there (yuck) and I would not personally try it anyway in any foreign market. I don’t go to McDonalds here or abroad (yuck)except as an emergency bathroom or wi fi stop. [emoji3]

I really can’t think of any strange foods in Bermuda. Food there is pretty usual. I suggest the other person sample local specialties like the fish chowder and fish sandwich’s on raisin bread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Charles4515

Why would you expect 'weird' food? We're a normal civilised little island. More civilized IMO than some countries with Atlantic coastlines.

I don't think there was any disrespect intended. By using the word strange or wierd I think the OP was just looking for food suggestions of things you might not find in other countries.. I would say that a fish sandwich on raisin bread is something I have not seen before. Also The codfish breakfast seems to be a Bermudian thing.

Why would you expect 'weird' food? We're a normal civilised little island. More civilized IMO than some countries with Atlantic coastlines.

What I believe the OP is looking for is food that is weird to Americans. Like for example Haggis in Scotland. Bermuda is food is pretty much what Americans could expect to dine on in restaurants in the US.

Actually, there is a difference between 'weird' and 'strange' neither term is necessarily perjorative and as I read it, the OP was not posting this maliciously, just wanting to find out if there were foods, food styles or types they could look for while on your beautiful island, which would not necessarily be found in the US.

They provided an example of what was considered strange in the post, horse sashimi in Tokyo, almost considered a 'national' food type (sashimi) there... something which we would not get here in the U.S. either knowingly or unknowingly.

So please do not take the question as an attack on Bermuda's 'normalcy or civilized' nature, as it were, then again I would think it depends on where you are living or from on the island which would have a further say in that, which is a study or dissertation best left for 'social anthropologists' and not CC.

bon voyage

No insult intended, I was just looking for local flavors that were off the beaten path that I wouldn't get at home. I'm looking forward to trying the rum cakes and the swizzle. And I was just reading about some fish sandwiches that you get to go that sounds pretty good.

You didn’t get the joke. KFC is the only fast food restaurant in Bermuda. There is only the one KFC in Hamilton and there are no McDs in Bermuda. The KFC exists because it predates the ban on foreign owned restaurant chains. So that makes it strange. It’s also wonderful that

It’s also wonderful that there are no McDs in Bermuda. One of the reasons I love Bermuda. So there is no local McD spice mix to try there (yuck) and I would not personally try it anyway in any foreign market. I don’t go to McDonalds here or abroad (yuck)except as an emergency bathroom or wi fi stop. [emoji3]

My point was, many Americans, like I have done, assumed American chains outside the US are same as they are in the US. And that is not the case.

McDs does not, AFAIK, do local spices, but when I was in Paraguay, there were ads for a McD burger, on a brioche bun, with cheddar cheese and grilled onions. Not something I have seen in US stores.

My point was, many Americans, like I have done, assumed American chains outside the US are same as they are in the US. And that is not the case.

McDs does not, AFAIK, do local spices, but when I was in Paraguay, there were ads for a McD burger, on a brioche bun, with cheddar cheese and grilled onions. Not something I have seen in US stores.

True, while in Tokyo McD puts wasabi on their Big Macs, which is actually pretty good.

I always try something 'different' everywhere I go.. even in the states there is 'weird' food. I come from a city where they put french fries and cole slaw on a sandwich. And now live in a town where they serve roast beef in buns covered with salt and caraway seeds..