Horseshoe bay during upcoming bermudian public holiday

bromleypod

I heard that horseshoe bay is closed on Thursday due to a large event? Is that true??

And will the shuttle bus from the Dockyard still running?

Horseshoe Bay will not be closed. In the past there was a planned event there some years called Beachfest on the holiday, Thursday is Emancipation Day, but it even with Beachfest there Horseshoe remained open to locals and tourists. No planned event this year but people will still head to the beach to celebrate. Thursday and Friday are Bermuda’s biggest holiday celebration. Back to back holidays. Emancipation Day and Somers Day. Businesses will be closed and many will head to the beaches. Expect Horseshoe to be very crowded. I have heard lots of drunk people.

The minibuses that shuttle back and forth are privately owned vehicles. It is up to the owners of the vehicles whether they take the holiday off or not. You would think the minibus owners would want to make money those days, if they don’t work, no income, but sorry, I don’t know what the availability of minibuses or taxis will be. Public Buses will run on a reduced holiday schedule.

Edited by Charles4515

Addendum. Horseshoe will be close at 7:00 PM on August 2 to clean up for the next day. Expect the beaches to be crowded Thursday August 2 thru Sunday August 5. The holiday celebration extends to over the weekend.

http://www.royalgazette.com/news/article/20180729/cup-match-camping-guidelines

Edited by Charles4515

From facebook: Don't forget to stop by Rum Bum Beach Bar during the holiday - We're OPEN every day!

Can't seem to get the picture to come up but open Thur-Sun-9am-10pm

Here is a photo someone posted on the internet from a previous year of what Horseshoe Bay will likely look like this Thursday and Friday over the holiday.

da237b672dbdaf177d19e6d59002bca3.jpg

Here is a photo someone posted on the internet from a previous year of what Horseshoe Bay will likely look like this Thursday and Friday over the holiday.

da237b672dbdaf177d19e6d59002bca3.jpg

certainly not ideal to have that amount of people on the beach but it is not any different than any lovely beach on a summer weekend! We live near Hilton Head SC which has some lovely beaches and we have learned to go either early morning or later in the day to avoid the crowds😄

certainly not ideal to have that amount of people on the beach but it is not any different than any lovely beach on a summer weekend! We live near Hilton Head SC which has some lovely beaches and we have learned to go either early morning or later in the day to avoid the crowds[emoji1]

Well.....Horseshoe Bay on a normal day which some complain about as being crowded, is nowhere near as crowded as in the photo of the holiday day. I doubt if I would go to Horseshoe on a day like is pictured. If Hilton Head is like the picture I won’t be going there.

Well.....Horseshoe Bay on a normal day which some complain about as being crowded, is nowhere near as crowded as in the photo of the holiday day. I doubt if I would go to Horseshoe on a day like is pictured. If Hilton Head is like the picture I won’t be going there.

you would be missing a beautiful beach!! Again, you have to time your visits, always more crowded in the summer when all the tourists are here. Early morning and evenings are beautiful😄

you would be missing a beautiful beach!! Again, you have to time your visits, always more crowded in the summer when all the tourists are here. Early morning and evenings are beautiful

Charles wouldn't be missing anything because I can guarantee he's been to Horseshoe Bay more times than he can count on his fingers.

That picture makes Coney Island or Orchard Beach on July 4th look like they're in an uncrowded tropical paradise that no one has discovered by comparison. :rolleyes:

I'd never go to Horseshoe Bay, or any other beach for that matter, on a day when it was that crowded...and I wouldn't be missing anything either...

That's about the last place I would send a new visitor to Bermuda. What a wonderful impression a tent city makes on a visitor.

Edited by njhorseman