Spain: Taxi drivers call an indefinite strike

aviator1945

The longer they strike more and more will find how easy uber is to use. they are shooting themselves in the foot.

Uh huh. Until they block the roads to and from the airport and ports , as they are threatening to do. How easy will it be to use Uber then?

Uh huh. Until they block the roads to and from the airport and ports , as they are threatening to do. How easy will it be to use Uber then?

this is coming from an American ignorant in Spain's legal system and laws, but this just seems like something that would be illegal and police would step in. I would genuinely love to know if I'm wrong and if this is how it works in Spain.

this is coming from an American ignorant in Spain's legal system and laws, but this just seems like something that would be illegal and police would step in. I would genuinely love to know if I'm wrong and if this is how it works in Spain.

https://www.cp24.com/world/taxi-drivers-in-barcelona-continue-to-block-traffic-in-protest-of-ride-hailing-apps-1.4031760

You are probably not wrong about action being illegal. However, take a look at the pictures of number of taxis parked...do not know how police would be able to enforce a peaceful end to protest. (Yes, the words police, enforce, peaceful and protest probably do not make sense being used in the same sentence lol). Anyway, already two Uber drivers hospitalized and one major road blocked in Barcelona (to airport). Declared as a “two day” strike but looks like tempers are high and who knows if it will escalate.

https://www.cp24.com/world/taxi-drivers-in-barcelona-continue-to-block-traffic-in-protest-of-ride-hailing-apps-1.4031760

You are probably not wrong about action being illegal. However, take a look at the pictures of number of taxis parked...do not know how police would be able to enforce a peaceful end to protest. (Yes, the words police, enforce, peaceful and protest probably do not make sense being used in the same sentence lol). Anyway, already two Uber drivers hospitalized and one major road blocked in Barcelona (to airport). Declared as a “two day” strike but looks like tempers are high and who knows if it will escalate.

Wow...what a mess....I still can't imagine police wouldn't even go in to try. They are blocking emergency vehicle access. Fire/Medical couldn't get through if needed. I'm not going to Spain currently, I just thought it was interesting.

I have a friend leaving today for Barcelona for a cruise on Symphony. They are traveling with an almost 80 year grandmother. Any advise as to get from the airport to there hotel in Barcelona? The last thing they need is an emergency room visit. Is Uber their only option?

I have a friend leaving today for Barcelona for a cruise on Symphony. They are traveling with an almost 80 year grandmother. Any advise as to get from the airport to there hotel in Barcelona? The last thing they need is an emergency room visit. Is Uber their only option?

Uber and Cabify suspended operations last week. I don't know if they have restarted. Can your friend call their hotel and find out what alternate arrangements can be made? Should also consider contacting Symphony to see if they have travel to port alternatives.

Hoping for the best for your friend. RR

Thank you I will pass the hotel suggestion on to her. She is really stressing now. As for the Symphony, they don't leave on the boat until 8/5 so I doubt they have anything in place.

Sorry, I also forgot the obvious suggestion (my excuse is I am not app savvy). Is there a way for her to check her Uber app to see if operations are back?