flights same day

cary1306

I've done non-stop from JFK/LGA to FL day of 3 times. All early morning (7ish am) flights. 2/3 times went off without a hitch. One time we were delayed 1 1/2 on the tarmac waiting on someone to sign off on a light bulb repair. I was flipping out the whole time. We still made it with plenty of time to spare, but oh the anxiety! I'm an anxious person with too many experiences with delays & cancellations so I don't do day of anymore.

That said, 7am from NY/NJ gives you a decent cushion with no stops & a chance of alternate flights if there's a hiccup. You'll probably be just fine.

I booked mine through Carnival, for the first time ever, flying in same day. Because, the price was exactly the same as booking myself and figured if a issue, I was covered through Carnival or they would be aware, maybe? And we have insurance.

But we have flown in same day a couple of time, but you never know, crap shoot I guess!

Can't remember if it was Miami or Ft. Lauderdale...but does anyone remember the airport shooting last year? The whole town was frozen. All of those people missed their cruise. Hey, you never know what could happen.

It was FLL. My friend flew in a day early and was at the airport at the time of the shooting... Thank God she was ok but she lives with that horror everyday... I was suppose to fly in later that day and meet her. I was connecting thru Charlotte and since FLL was closed the plan was to for me to fly to Charlotte spend the night and then fly to FLL the next morning. As luck would have it Charlotte had a freak snowstorm and shut the airport down before my flight departed the Lexington airport. I had to work with the airline and the only way I was getting there on time was to take a 6 am flight out of Louisville the next morning... I had been at the airport all day at that point and it was after 10 pm when the arrangements were made... I had to drive to Louisville to be on a 6 am flight to Miami and then take an Uber to Lauderdale... It all worked out but it was so stressful in so many ways. I was very glad to hug my friend when I arrived

I always fly in day before flight as I usually go in winter. this cruise I will be going at the end of September from nj to florida same day. I would be going early am . how many people have flown same day? any problems?

Delays !!!!!!!!

My first cruise, I flew in the day of the cruise, but booked it through the cruise line. So, I knew if I missed the ship, cruise line would fly me to first port. Mechanical delay kept me from catching my connecting flight in Atlanta, but I was able to catch the next flight. Landed at 4 pm, but luckily there was a massive ice storm on the East Coast and ship delayed leaving port until 9 pm since so many passengers were late getting in. Still freaked me out.

Earlier this month, we booked a flight the day before but had 11 hours of delays and so made it to the airport in Florida about 5 am the day of the cruise. Glad we had booked flight day before, but still afraid we were going to miss icruise ship.

We always fly in at least one day early. When checking on flights, I've found that sometimes if we fly in two days earlier, the cost of the flight is cheaper enough to make up for the hotel stay for the extra night. We always stay at least one day after the cruise. If you have two or three ships coming back in on the same day, the airports are jam packed. By staying another day or two, the flights may be cheaper and the airports aren't as crowded.

Too many issues to worry about to fly in on the same day, IMO.

And Florida and September? One word - hurricane.

September is prime season for storms, have a plan B

Any month can have a weather issue, it's not just hurricanes that can delay a flight. Summer T-Storms, or winter ice or snow storms can disrupt air schedules as well.

At least with a hurricane or major snowstorm you have several days sometimes a week advance notice, so you can reschedule your flight. The airlines usually waive change fees 48 hrs prior to a major storm warning.

That said, I've flown in the morning of my cruise from the NYC area on non stop direct flights to Florida maybe 35 times, never an issue. I have watched cruisers on standby beg for seats on a flight I've booked when they have tickets for the day before. Luck of the draw, I guess.

We have flown from DFW to MIA on the same day in the past. However, since 2016 when our same day morning flight was cancelled & we ended up booking another one the day before sailing, we have been flying in the day before. We travel with friends who fly in from Richmond & they always fly in the day before, as they are always having flight cancellations out of their airport. So, it works out that we get to catch up with each other the night before sailing. Anyway, you have to decide what level of risk you are willing to bear.

Another thing about flying in the day of the cruise is we are up so early to get to the airport & catch our flight that by dinnertime we are really dragging. I have enjoyed being able to get up & have a leisurely breakfast & not have to rush to make it to port.

I always fly in day before flight as I usually go in winter. this cruise I will be going at the end of September from nj to florida same day. I would be going early am . how many people have flown same day? any problems?

We also fly from a part of the country affected by weather (winter to be specific/snow), and do what you are doing. When weather is NOT an issue, we have flown in the 'day of' in the morning (to save hotel cost). But in winter, when snow and weather can seriously affect our arrival at the port, we fly in the day before. Has worked out perfectly for us!!

We normally come to the port city the day before the cruise. We drive in so we choose a hotel with a package that includes free parking and shuttle to and from the port. The hotel room is really cheap when you deduct what parking would cost.

Flights are often delayed in winter or during hurricane season. The problem then becomes the rearrangements of planes and/or itineraries. If a flight is canceled those with the canceled flight are put on future flights IF there are vacant seats.

On a December cruise we took - 400 people missed the cruise because of a blizzard in the northeast 2 nights before sailing.:(

We have flown in on the day of every other time we've cruised. Our next cruise will be the first time we fly in the day before because it leaves on a Sunday. Luckily, we've never been delayed or missed a flight. On our last cruise, the flights got changed to a later time. Luckily, the airline allowed me to change my flight to an earlier one, but then it added in a layover in ATL. I was worried about getting out of there or getting bumped, but we made it with no issues. They ended up offering people on our flight from ATL-MIA $500 a piece to take a later flight, so our flight was oversold. I always buy trip insurance because it covers flight delays/missed connections and they will help you get on a flight to the first port or wherever you will meet the boat. Our next cruise we will be flying nonstop on the first flight out to FLL the day before, so we have plenty of other options if there's any issues.