How to keep my kid from spending my retirement on the cruise

Shoppie124

We too learned the hard way!

When my kids were little, we kept noticing candy, mugs, hats, etc. in our room.. I didn't pay to much attention to it but I finally asked my boys, 'Who are those for and where did you get them'? They looked at me and seriously said, 'Dad, they're free and they're for gifts for grandma and grandpa. Just go to the gift shop and show them your room key and they'll give them to you'! OMG!! It was so hard not to laugh, but we explained to them that they were NOT free, lol!

Lesson learned, lol! After that, we were able to limit their spending....

This reminded me of when I was little and we were going on a trip. I went with my Kim to a bank to get travelers checks, and she told me we were getting them from there because they were “free.” I thought that was an awesome perk of having an account at that bank!

I think you should use this as a good teaching moment. Teach her self control and the importance to have money for what you really want/need and if you don't have it you save for it. I would have a frank discussion well before the cruise - tell her an amount you will fund her for the week in a separate account. If she wants to spend all of it on ice cream - well ok. If she wants to buy a top/handbag, etc from a gift shop then she will know the amount she has available for the week and can work it out. I would be sure she understands that the amount you decide on is final and if wants to spend more she needs to use her own money.

Believe me some day this will be the least of your problems so best to teach her moderation and self control now. Don't miss this opportunity to let her be responsible. If you cave on this then all the posts in the world won't be of any help.

To be clear, I don’t mind her having a couple hundred dollars to spend. I just know she could easily blow through $300 in 5 days in ice cream ( saw this firsthand at gymnastics camp). She also tends to be generous. She has been known to give kids money for lunch at school.

I was looking for a way to limit her spending but still allow her to spend.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You said she’s tends to be really good with managing her own money but simply poor with managing yours. Why don’t you give her an amount into her account that you definitely want to give her as a gift. If she spends it all during the cruise that’s fine and it’s gone but if she doesn’t spend all of it she gets the balance in cash. A person is going to learn to budget money much more rapidly if they are rewarded for their good financial habits.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums