Legendary Cruises

cruise pastor

The only time I've heard that word used in connection with a HAL cruise was for the Legendary Rhythm and Blues cruises. The the 2/3/19 LR&B on the Neiuw Statendam is sold out but you could join the wait list at https://bluescruise.com/

The 10/26/19 cruise on the Eurodam is prebooking now.

Edited by catl331

Been hearing a bit lately about Legendary Cruises, with HAL. We’re looking at 2019...But I cant find that designation, nor do the people that answer the phone know anything about that. Anybody know?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

In the Cruise Atlas 4/18-4/19 starting on page 160 list 4 cruises called Legendary Voyages

Janet

Informally, there are some "legendary HAL cruises" but with a small case L, not a capital L.

Voyage of the Vikings, Tales of the South Pacific, South America with Antarctic extension or any World Cruise come to mind. Certainly the London to Singapore via Indonesia for 50 days on the Rotterdam as a maiden voyage was legendary.

What makes them informally "legendary" in my mind - length of cruise, limited frequency of the offering, and non-routine port stops. The entire new Maasdam InDepth offerings have the potential to be "legendary" too. Associating the itinerary with legendary ocean explorers captures the imagination too: Dutch East Indies trade routes, Lief Erikson, Thor Hyerdahl, Captain Cook, Shakelton..........

• 4 weeks later...
Been hearing a bit lately about Legendary Cruises, with HAL. We’re looking at 2019...But I cant find that designation, nor do the people that answer the phone know anything about that. Anybody know?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Cruise Pastor,

I recently sent an email to Holland America's Guest Staff department to ask if there would be a minister onboard the cruise we booked on the Zaandam in April of 2019. I am a pastor at a community church in Washington State and offered my services if they were needed, as the cruise will include Easter, Palm Sunday, Good Friday, etc. In the response I received, the term "Legendary Cruises" was mentioned. I am also uncertain as to what that means and how many are designated that way. The question of whether or not a minister would be available for protestant services was not answered, because I do not know if the cruise we are sailing on is grand or legendary.

Here is the response I received:

Hello Tony,

Thank you for reaching out. We do not require a guest staff minister on the voyage in question. The program has been reduced greatly to only grand world voyages and legendary voyages. In addition I have a full roster and a waitlist that goes for days. I appreciate your interest and wish you the very best.

Warmly,

Kyle Baiz

Casting Coordinator – Guest Staff

Entertainment & Enrichment

Holland America Line

EMAIL: GuesStaff@hollandamerica.com

Thank you HAL4NOW for the information.

I was also curious about the "Legendary" term for some cruises.

HAL response letter used lower case "l", not upper case "L" when writing legendary - they must have their own in-house understanding what that term means: longer and more infrequent?

In the Cruise Atlas 4/18-4/19 starting on page 160 list 4 cruises called Legendary Voyages

Janet

The 2019-2020 Cruise Atlas lists six Legendary Voyages starting on page 148:

THE FARTHER WE TRAVEL THE CLOSER WE BECOME

Immerse yourself in different cultures, exotic locales and more of everything you love about travel on our Legendary Voyages. Slightly longer itineraries

make it possible to delve deeper, learn something new and enjoy even more leisure time aboard your classically styled mid-sized ship. Venture to Hawaii and the unforgettable islands of the South Pacific. Follow in the footsteps of the Incas in South America. Retrace the adventures of the mighty Vikings as you sail from Greenland and Iceland to Norway and beyond. In Ft. Lauderdale, Florida, embark on a Legendary Voyage to the heart of the Brazilian rain forest. Sail down the storied Amazon River past tribal villages and locals in dugout canoes to the fabled pink and white opera house in far-off Manaus. From discovering different ways of life to forging new friendships along the way, you can be sure your journey—and your memories—will be legendary.

Incan Empires: 28 days or more on Amsterdam from the west coast to Lima and back.

Voyage of the Vikings: 17- 35 days on Zuiderdam between Boston and Rotterdam.

Australia Circumnavigation: 30 days on Maasdam round trip Sydney.

Amazon Explorer: 30 days on Volendam round trip Ft. Lauderdale.

Tales of the South Pacific: 51 days round trip San Diego on Amsterdam.

Voyage of the Americas: 44 -48 days, Ft. Lauderdale to San Diego or Vancouver on Konigsdam with no Panama Canal.

Is Konigsdam really a "classically styled mid-sized ship."