Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

55 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

I am very familiar with #17. I keep writing the name down but I can't seem to remember it. 😉

Was this one of the graduation requirements?  [writing prescriptions in griffonage so only pharmacists can decipher them...]

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Was this one of the graduation requirements?  [writing prescriptions in griffonage so only pharmacists can decipher them...]

I topped the course in griffonage.

We have a long history in Australia of poor writing as suggested by a famous Aussie poem.

"

And an answer came directed in a writing unexpected,
   (And I think the same was written in a thumbnail dipped in tar)"

http://www.middlemiss.org/lit/authors/patersonab/poetry/clancy.html

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

We were supposed to be in Portofino today but cancelled due to a severe storm.We got a taste of it in Livorno where we are spending the day instead. Glad we didn't do walking tours as a storm went through here with lightening,thunder and hail.

yesterday

DSC00729.JPG.015c21249b378ff1acfc9990321c059e.JPG

today

DSC00909.JPG.d3e68413158986e16f14fdbb29557ec8.JPG

• Like 2

For the cruise ending tomorrow in Civitavecchia the Dawn has been full. It remains full for the voyage to Venice.

Also must have the youngest median age of any SS cruise we have been on. Many children and under 40s.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, drron29 said:

For the cruise ending tomorrow in Civitavecchia the Dawn has been full. It remains full for the voyage to Venice.

Also must have the youngest median age of any SS cruise we have been on. Many children and under 40s.

any covid reports?

• Like 1

Just a few more weeks of summer to go. We usually stay home and work while our colleagues who have children go on vacation during the school holidays. We definitely enjoy vacationing during less busy times, but it does make for a long summer.

The past few days I've been looking at our trip pics from April. Slovenia and Croatia, then some time in Paris on the way there and back. This really gave me a craving for the ham and cheese galette that I had at a crêperie in Paris on our last night. 

Luckily I had some buckwheat flour in the pantry for just such an emergency. And a little leftover crème fraîche. With some ham and Gruyère, It was almost as good as I remembered. 

20220819_181634.thumb.jpg.148a4a488e40306b56eb78fc89796561.jpg

Tonight I made chicken wings, roasted with a balsamic-honey glaze, with rosemary and garlic. Lots of strong flavors. 

20220820_154727.thumb.jpg.572ee8693e38c21d3ef89e151cd19319.jpg

The cucumber salad from the garden went well.

20220820_155021.thumb.jpg.438764fcdf6d986d421effe790a91240.jpg

But what wine? The weather was too hot for a red, and the balsamic wouldn't go well with that either. But a white might be too light.

Then I remembered that we had brought some orange wine home from Slovenia! This orange Malvazija had tons of acidity, some citrus peel and honey aromas, and a touch of yeasty funkiness. It was a very different flavor profile, and a fun match with the wings! 

20220820_154517.thumb.jpg.e6e62501cd5accde4f74bdb329785233.jpg

5PM and still 90F degrees out. Time for a swim.

• Like 8

12 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

Just a few more weeks of summer to go. We usually stay home and work while our colleagues who have children go on vacation during the school holidays. We definitely enjoy vacationing during less busy times, but it does make for a long summer.

The past few days I've been looking at our trip pics from April. Slovenia and Croatia, then some time in Paris on the way there and back. This really gave me a craving for the ham and cheese galette that I had at a crêperie in Paris on our last night. 

Luckily I had some buckwheat flour in the pantry for just such an emergency. And a little leftover crème fraîche. With some ham and Gruyère, It was almost as good as I remembered. 

20220819_181634.thumb.jpg.148a4a488e40306b56eb78fc89796561.jpg

Tonight I made chicken wings, roasted with a balsamic-honey glaze, with rosemary and garlic. Lots of strong flavors. 

20220820_154727.thumb.jpg.572ee8693e38c21d3ef89e151cd19319.jpg

The cucumber salad from the garden went well.

20220820_155021.thumb.jpg.438764fcdf6d986d421effe790a91240.jpg

But what wine? The weather was too hot for a red, and the balsamic wouldn't go well with that either. But a white might be too light.

Then I remembered that we had brought some orange wine home from Slovenia! This orange Malvazija had tons of acidity, some citrus peel and honey aromas, and a touch of yeasty funkiness. It was a very different flavor profile, and a fun match with the wings! 

20220820_154517.thumb.jpg.e6e62501cd5accde4f74bdb329785233.jpg

5PM and still 90F degrees out. Time for a swim.

OMG JP!  The Gods and Goddesses of the Culinary World are cheering your offerings!  Super yummy! 😋

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/20/2022 at 11:03 AM, zqtchas said:

any covid reports?

No covid cases at all on the cruise ending in Rome. Though on our in transit tour there were a couple with quite suspicious coughs. The male would take off his mask to cough. Just wow.

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, drron29 said:

No covid cases at all on the cruise ending in Rome. Though on our in transit tour there were a couple with quite suspicious coughs. The male would take off his mask to cough. Just wow.

We encountered that same kind of thing on our cruises.   Is it really so difficult to connect the dots?

• Like 1