Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

On 6/14/2024 at 4:10 PM, Emtbsam said:

we will see you in October.  We get on in Southampton and off in Athens.

Hi again to you emtbsam...I know the cooler is not really for cruise content ( been told off before in the early days of me joining the cooler 😂) but I just wanted to know what date you join the spirit in Southampton?.. we don't join untill Oct 25th but as we live so close to Southampton we occasionally have had a visit for the day on board🥂... Happy cruising 

For those interested here is the June tasting menu for the Black Tartan Kitchen.  We won't be sampling this one.  Instead we are going to a Beer and Whisky pairing adventure at BTK on June 27th.  Some of the items from the tasting menu for June may appear on the menu for the 27th.

BTKJune2024.JPG.06edd32451d897f0b488be1e37e159cc.JPG

• Like 1

Coming back to the subject of music. To some people it is incredibly important. I have some amazing stories. The first was during the pandemic when I was working in Tasmania and I witnessed the inhumanity of lockdowns. People forgot there were not so well off people living in the community that totally relied on other's help to be able to have a little bit of quality in their life. There were quite a few admissions of people with Dementia as their network of help just disappeared overnight.

But what really got to me was those Young adults with a disability. We had an admission of a 23year old with cerebral palsy who pre covid was leading a nearly normal life. He would ride his bicycle up to 100 Kms a day. Again overnight his carers disappeared. His parents tried their best but he just withdrew into his shell and was bed bound when admitted. He basically refused all help and was going downhill quickly. And he disliked me. I would walk into his room and he would shout get out, get out..

I sat down with his parents because the situation was serious. I asked what did he really like and his father said Music. Then added it is really funny because his favourite song is You Are my Sunshine.

So the next morning I prepared to embarrass myself in front of the team. I walked into his room singing you are my sunshine, my only sunshine. It was magical. he looked at me quizzically for a minute or 2 and then he burst into a wonderful smile. He then started co operating with the therapists. about 9 months later I was leaving the hospital for the last time. His father heard so rang me to say he was now walking independently though still couldn't manage his bike.

• Like 17

Lovely moving story drron for which you have every right to feel proud of and share. 

If you can forgive me for being soppy, but that is an extraordinary example of the very finest of DoctoringPlus. 

🙏

Jeff

• Like 7

Forgiven, Jeff.  Not many men will admit to being soppy, though the nicest ones can be, at times.  Dr. Ron's story is indeed lovely, and shows how pieces of music can bring back memories of better - or even worse - times more easily than almost anything.  My emotional favourites all have memories attached to them, which is why they bring tears to my eyes.  We had some of my DH's  favourites at his funeral, from Bach to Glenn Miller, and I keep trying to decide what I would like.  Quite probably either or both of the Jeff Beck and John Williams pieces.  My musical son will be in charge at the time.

• Like 3

Thanks L!

My two which still affect (effect?) me are “Let’s stay together “ by Al Green and “Lovely Day” with Bill Withers.  

I’m just so fortunate that a long, long time ago I accidentally met someone who was sufficiently lovely but thankfully not quite clever enough to know that she could have done a lot better than me if she’d simply waited a bit longer. I’m so lucky. And she has been stoically beside me through an unusual life. . And she stuck on in there.  So if I hear those two tunes - Al green or Bill Withers  - then I’m affected (effected?) every time. 

I think I may have inadvertently overdone the schmaltz so I’m seeking forgiveness yet again. 🙂

Jeff

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Jeff, those 2 songs and the men who sing them are awesome!😃 so very soulful. 

Here they are:

• Like 4

I created a list of the music which has impacted me throughout my life.  I hope the flash drive can be copied and distributed to my friends at the appropriate time.  The music begins with the somber Pomp and Circumstance and ends on a more upbeat note.  In between is a mix of English, French, Brazilian and Italian music which I love.  

Edited by Emtbsam
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, Emtbsam said:

I created a list of the music which has impacted me throughout my life.  I hope the flash drive can be copied and distributed to my friends at the appropriate time.  The music begins with the somber Pomp and Circumstance and ends on a more upbeat note.  In between is a mix of English, French, Brazilian and Italian music which I love.  

Share with us at spotify! we can create a Coolers playlist there, although I have no idea how to do it.

Edited by Lirio
  • Like 2

Good Evening Coolers!

Tonight’s snack was a hummus I’d been thinking about.  It’s beetroot and horseradish with some ciabatta.  We haven’t found any real good hummus as they obviously don’t use the best ingredients they can but max their profits and it’s so rewarding to make and play with new ideas.

I’m glad I did it as she said it was the best I’ve made and said I could do it again.  

Jeff

IMG_5795.jpeg

• Like 7

Good afternoon fellow inmates!  🙂

Today is lovely and sunny and I made some poached salmon on potato and a well oiled Greek salad - and a very cold bottle of house Cremant.  In retrospect I should have opened a second one.  Human error. 

Have a great day all …. and do tap away and post something or other - it needn’t be of anything of import - for all of us fellow inmates to read,  My posts are never of any import and no one dies.  Otherwise logically there is nothing to read.  And where would we all be then?!  We would all be staring at a page that hasn’t changed!    🤔

Thanking You!  😀

Jeff 

ps what’s a captian?

IMG_5799.jpeg

IMG_5801.jpeg

Edited by UKCruiseJeff
  • Like 5

17 hours ago, Lirio said:

Share with us at spotify! we can create a Coolers playlist there, although I have no idea how to do it.

Not a clue how to do it.  I tried to get a copy of A Banda, the song Chico Buarque introduced at Carnival in 1967 without any success.  I have the record but no way to transfer it to a digital recording.

15 minutes ago, Emtbsam said:

Not a clue how to do it.  I tried to get a copy of A Banda, the song Chico Buarque introduced at Carnival in 1967 without any success.  I have the record but no way to transfer it to a digital recording.

https://open.spotify.com/search/a banda

Do you have Spotify or similar?

Edited by Lirio

That looks delicious, Jeff, but sadly I can't fully appreciate it after my enormous pub lunch - tempura type chicken with sweet chili sauce (starter size), and bowl of hot chunky chips, and then a raspberry pavlova.  I can hardly move.  The others loved theirs too.  We are lucky to have a real well run old fashioned pub  near here, with swift and friendly service, hot and well cooked food - not gourmet, but always tasty - in an old pub nicely decorated and spotlessly clean.  A decent wine list, nothing pricey but well chosen and fairly priced at £7 for a 250 ml. glass of NZ sauv blanc.   The sort of pub to treasure, and it is always busy with diners, thank goodness.  I enjoy this in many ways just as much as an amazing gastronomic menu by a Michelin starred chef.

Evening meal - a glass of orange juice.  It looks as if summer might be here at last, on the longest day.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Lirio said:

https://open.spotify.com/search/a banda

Do you have Spotify or similar?

Obrigada!  I was able to open Spotify and listen to it.  One of the highlights of my travels with my parents was attending the Carnival Ball at the municipal opera house in Rio in 1967.  We were on a round trip cruise from New York all the way to Buenos Aires and stopped in Rio two times.  Between our two visits, the currency was devalued!  I learned a lot of Brazilian music before the trip and continue to listen to much of it to this day.  Insensatez is one of my favorites.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, lincslady said:

That looks delicious, Jeff, but sadly I can't fully appreciate it after my enormous pub lunch - tempura type chicken with sweet chili sauce (starter size), and bowl of hot chunky chips, and then a raspberry pavlova.  I can hardly move.  The others loved theirs too.  We are lucky to have a real well run old fashioned pub  near here, with swift and friendly service, hot and well cooked food - not gourmet, but always tasty - in an old pub nicely decorated and spotlessly clean.  A decent wine list, nothing pricey but well chosen and fairly priced at £7 for a 250 ml. glass of NZ sauv blanc.   The sort of pub to treasure, and it is always busy with diners, thank goodness.  I enjoy this in many ways just as much as an amazing gastronomic menu by a Michelin starred chef.

Evening meal - a glass of orange juice.  It looks as if summer might be here at last, on the longest day.

L,

Lovely to read of your pub lunch!  🙂

It saddens me greatly that of the many things our governments’ does, that there has been insufficient effort given to help our pubs from epidemic closures. Inns and taverns and coaching inns etc are such a very precious and unique part of our heritage and that are now rapidly disappearing as a result of dumb laws that on our watch will be gone for good.  Britain without pubs.  Over 500 lost in the last year. 

A quarter litre glass!  That is a heuriger mug!    £28 per litre of Sauvy is an exceptional pub bargain. 

Jeff

• Like 2

I always think of it as a third of a bottle - and one is enough!  If three of us want one, we share a bottle, which works out even cheaper.  We are not as daft as we look up in these benighted parts, you know.  As there are not many pubs in the area this one does very well, and deserves to as they work very hard, but in the local town there were really too many, and some have not made it.

• Like 2