Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

12 hours ago, Lois R said:

Thank you JP and Mysty.  I am glad we are off for the next 4 days. We are closed Christmas Eve and Christmas Day so I won't be going to back to work till Wednesday.  Oh, the new one will probably start mid to late January.

Lois, for what it's worth, take the job.  It's better to have one, especially the way the economy is going.  Also, you have the option of looking for another if this just isn't the position you want, as you know it's easier to find a good job you want while you are currently employed than to try to find one when you have no job.   Plus, as you get to a "certain age", it's much harder to start over at another company, different culture, etc ... not to mention, they can hire someone much younger, much less experienced for less money. 

There's a LinkedIn article that hit yesterday that said the prime age group for Start-ups is 55-65, with a far higher survival rate than the younger groups, mainly due to experience, tenacity, and being prepared for the costs (mental as well as material). Since you have a finance background, keep your eyes open for these type opportunities.   I've freelanced on top of my day job for the better part of 30 years, be it tax season, bookkeeping for small businesses when they are starting up, or someone is "on leave".  Right now, I'm helping a friend with her software company she started last year, it really took off this spring and well, I may have found my retirement gig (in about 5 years).  My job title is Financial Wizard for Good :classic_biggrin:  

Hang in there, I know it's upsetting, but it's not the worst case scenario.

11 minutes ago, UpstateJan said:

Mysty, love the funny, and no it is not wrong!   BTW, love those gowns, um my family never looked that put together for Christmas.  Where's the flannel and snowshoes?

Yes, Jan.....my family did not resemble anything like elegance no matter the occasion!  🙂  As such my style for Formal nights gives it a wink and a nod.  I am respectful of the requirements and I do it my way.

We did one formal night on our last cruise, ate at the Grill on the other.  This upcoming one has a Formal night (Dress optional), so neither Jeremy or I will wear a dress :classic_blink:   We will do the best we can utilizing carry-on only.  It's a 7 day Caribbean cruise, with a pre-night in San Juan, so it should be easier than our 2 week Asia last April.  Yes, I did get a bit creative for formal, black dress always looks formal, and a shawl or wrap can dress things up (and hide a whole lot more!).   We're toying with the idea of trying La Dame one night with our extra obc, but I may just send Jeremy to the spa instead.  He may need that after our planned hiking in Dominica.

We both admire you & Myster (as well as all the other World cruisers).  I can't even get my head around packing for that.  Can't wait to hear the highlights.  We'd love to do that, perhaps once we retire.....  Only a little time before adventure!

8 minutes ago, UpstateJan said:

We both admire you & Myster (as well as all the other World cruisers).  I can't even get my head around packing for that.  Can't wait to hear the highlights.  We'd love to do that, perhaps once we retire.....  Only a little time before adventure!

Interestingly the packing is not the most onerous part of this big adventure.  I'm a list maker and have always been more comfortable with jottings.  I listed clothing plans when the decision was made to go for it.  I edited those plans over the course of the 18 months since.  Then the packing was easy.  The logistics of everything else from bill payments to house sitter to ordering enough meds to dealing with the yellow fever vaccine (which is contraindicated for those over 60) to myriad other details was the most time-consuming.  And of course there are lists detailing each and every task pre-voyage.  I am now down to about 20.  🙂 If you can do an adventure like this I would definitely encourage you to go for it!

Dreaming of a wine Christmas too, but we are on call this week so it will have to wait. We were uncharacteristically sociable yesterday...went out for an early dinner with some friends then came home and had some other friends drop by until about 1AM. Needless to say much wine was opened and tasted. Luckily we got the fish tank cleaned in the afternoon before dinner because it wouldn't have been done otherwise! 

Today has been a restful day at home. Just a little shopping and some preliminary work for vacation coming up in 10 days or so. So the thoughts of our vacation will get us through the week and the weekend on-call. Both of our departments are, of course, very short-staffed during the Christmas Holiday week as everyone with kids takes the time off and we are left holding down the fort. Payback is coming shortly, though!

Made a nice recipe for dinner tonight with chicken thighs. I put sage leaves, garlic slices, and a pat of butter under the skin. They were marinated in garlic and lemon zest with olive oil. To cook, they first got crisped skin-side down in a skillet over the stove, then flipped and roasted in the oven to finish. Yum! Served with a salsa verde of capers, mint, garlic, lemon, and olive oil. 

i-zkTS9wj-L.jpg

The dish stood up to a nice Garnacha. The sage and mint were still from our herb garden. I picked all of the herbs a while ago and wrapped them in paper towels then stored them in plastic bags in the fridge. They are lasting remarkably well but doubt they'll hang on much longer.

Friday night I made a simple shrimp pasta with sweet peppers and a few other assorted vegetables.

i-Cp45S5Z-L.jpg

If only I loved exercise as much as I love eating!

Today we also cooked some cabbage and sauerkraut fillings for tomorrow's traditional Christmas Eve dinner - pierogies! So those will be ready to go tomorrow; just have to make the dough and assemble them. If I get motivated I will make some borscht tonight too.

Now that I read back over what we did today it doesn't seem too relaxing, but it wasn't too bad. Happy Christmas to everyone!

• Like 1

Merry Christmas to all 'Coolers' from Vietnam (it's Christmas eve here). Today, my landlady gave me a a beautiful little cake with "Merry Christmas" on it (it looks like it came from professional bakery). She spent all day yesterday baking and decorating many of them to give away.

I spent today making a gallon of chicken soup - more like a stew actually. I miss the smells of Christmas as a child: the fire, the tree and roasting turkey. No chance of a white Christmas here. :classic_rolleyes:

Morning all. Happy Christmas Eve.

sorry to hear about the change Lois, try and stay positive, change is sometimes tough but may turn out for the better.

Exciting times for M & JP! Hope you both have amazing trips. Lovely food pics Jeff & JP. I’m dreaming up a recipe for a Black Forest battenburg to make for Christmas.  I’m not enjoying this new CC. An example of sometimes change not being for the better! Hope all are well and have a lovely Christmas everybody. Ham butty for me on Christmas Day. 😀 I’d need to be tranquillised by a Pygmy with a blow gun to eat Turkey at this time of year, we’ve served about 1500 portions of it this month. I’m sick of the sight of it.

• Like 1

Hi TTS, Bill and DW!  So happy to see familiar "faces" in the Cooler bar!

TTS...thanks for the giggles this morning (although I felt a little guilty about finding the puppy story funny).  I did laugh anyway though.

Bill.....hope you enjoy your Christmas even without the familiar Christmas aromas!  There will be no traditional Christmas scents here either.

DW...I can understand your aversion to turkey at this point, considering!  Myster and I are going with a catered turkey meal for two this year.  Hopefully it will be satisfying.  Thanks for the travel well wishes.  I'm down to the last page of the To-Do list.  I am getting so excited that I think I am vibrating.  Ha Ha!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Tothesunset said:

Siblings can be so different. 

I mean, look at Albert Einstein and his brother Frank. 

Or John Maynard Keynes and his brother Milton. 

This one took some "research" TTS!  It was initially a head-scratcher.  Got it now though!