Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

One of my current musical obsessions is Scott Bradlees Postmodern Jukebox. They take popular songs, mash em up a bit, rearrange them and play them in a completely different style. Here are some of my favourites but he has produced hundreds. Well worth a look on YouTube if you enjoy. I Love his sense of humour.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

57 minutes ago, DavyWavey70 said:

One of my current musical obsessions is Scott Bradlees Postmodern Jukebox. They take popular songs, mash em up a bit, rearrange them and play them in a completely different style. Here are some of my favourites but he has produced hundreds. Well worth a look on YouTube if you enjoy. I Love his sense of humour.

Just found them at Spotify, thanks:  coolers ar all about music! great.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Port Power said:

For those of you who might have wondered whatever happened to Silver Explorer after she was sold….

IMG_5175.thumb.jpeg.af10a742cce138f17c6c3a16e724a950.jpeg

Longbearyean, Svalbard, 24 June 2024.

You'd never know she was built in 1989.  They did a beautiful refurb job.  Too bad I'm not French...

Greetings Coolers from a very warm day here in wales….

DW…love that blues version of Purple Rain….love the blues in general….saw BB King at the RAH many moons ago…l can go with anything music wise from Sinatra to Status Quo but what never fails to bring tears to my eyes is the glorious sound of a Welsh Male Voice choir with some of the best being local to us…

S 😊

• Like 1

Good morning coolers, Miss Sophia, nice to see you again😀

Today I go to the dentist (just a cleaning)😁. I am all packed for my trip. I will be leaving here VERY early tomorrow morning.  I never realized how different it is to pack for a land trip (especially this type of land trip) as compared to a cruise. I think I packed and re-packed 3 times😮.  Should be good to go now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, lincslady said:

Have a lovely  trip, Lois, and enjoy seeing your friends.  I expect you have got some good places lined up  to have dinner; we will look forward to reading about it in due course.

Hi Lola, thanks so much😀. Oh yes, the gal who planned this trip has all the restaurants reserved and even some other meals too. Sunday we are going to brunch and when you have a party of 7, you have to make sure they know you are coming. Dinner, various places that all look good😀

2 hours ago, MissSophia said:

Greetings Coolers from a very warm day here in wales….

DW…love that blues version of Purple Rain….love the blues in general….saw BB King at the RAH many moons ago…l can go with anything music wise from Sinatra to Status Quo but what never fails to bring tears to my eyes is the glorious sound of a Welsh Male Voice choir with some of the best being local to us…

S 😊

Good afternoon S!

BLUES!

We also saw BB at the RAH and took our younger son who is now a guitarist.  We also saw him at the RFH.   You may have noticed upthread that we managed to get The Beatles to support Brady in the ‘60’s  and BB King came to Brady at roughly the same time and from recall I think he got around £60 or so for the whole band.  It might have been £100 but it wouldn’t have been any more because the figures wouldn’t have supported it.  But at one time I think BB held the record of the most gigs of all time.  They parked their large coach right outside the club doors and were happy to chat to one and all.  No sound check opportunity was taken.  They simply all plugged in and played.  It was a big thing for us.  

I know you know I worked with Quo on and off for two years who really wasn’t my cup of tea at all.  I really gelled with Rick  he was simply always fun - but never quite with Rossi.  I last saw Rick a few months before he died in Spain when we were passing through LHR at the same time.  He was a delightful, puppy like man who had time for people but was simply hopeless at life. He ended up trying to sell cars and property in Spain and failed having spent most of his fortune on the wrong things.  I cannot ever recall him not smiling but I cannot recall Rossi ever smiling. A dour unhappy chap. 

Re Blues.  My icon in the 60’s was the mostly unknown player to most Alexis Korner who I was much more thrilled to work with a few times than almost anyone else.  He was a real “Blues” man and he was the basis of so many bands that followed.  The only problem was that I booked him a few times in the 60’s to work at clubs but you never knew exactly what you were going to get.  The worst was in ‘67 or so when I booked him for Cheltenham Spa Ballroom (remember ballrooms?) 😃

He turned up by himself with  a very small Selmar practise amplifier and guitar but no other band.  He was a real gentlemen but always a moving and evasive musical  target but this seemed even for him a bit lean.  He plonked the amp on a chair on the stage and played his stuff, then finished unplugged his amp, packed his guitar thanked the audience and wandered off.  I filled the rest of the evening playing records.  The club didn’t allow me to book any further bands for them and so ending a lucrative profit stream for me. 

Nostalgia isn’t what it was. 🙂

Jeff

• Like 4

14 hours ago, DavyWavey70 said:

Love these! Thanks for sharing.

On 6/23/2024 at 8:42 PM, UKCruiseJeff said:

Oh dear,

My eatings and drinkings today are comparatively unimpressive but in mitigation at least entirely by my own hand.  

Sunday lunch was bacon and chip sandwiches with Sarsons followed  by afternoon coffee with choux and Seven Tails Brandy.  

The brandy was new because I wanted something really good between over fiddled and characterless cognac and overly cheap and robust Spanish brandy and as it happened this was it. It is wonderful and I have vowed to drink more.  Tonight will be the last of the chicken soup.  

A lovely day at home with #1 wife!

Jeff

IMG_5863.jpeg

IMG_5865.jpeg

Bacon and Chip sandwiches! I always thought someone was pulling my leg, now seems this actually exists. 
I suppose it must be good if you say so, will try this next time when in the UK.

Weirdest (for me) experience was "Spaghetti on toast" back in the Eighties in Newcastle. Spaghetti out of a can too🤣

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Grand Duchess said:

Bacon and Chip sandwiches! I always thought someone was pulling my leg, now seems this actually exists. 
I suppose it must be good if you say so, will try this next time when in the UK.

Weirdest (for me) experience was "Spaghetti on toast" back in the Eighties in Newcastle. Spaghetti out of a can too🤣

This is extremely sad I know.  But I think Bacon and Chip sandwiches are our very favorite meal.  It is a one a week thing at least and considered a meal.

You must try it.  Once tried, never left off of the menu.

I need to be precise about this.

Two slices of thick soft buttered sliced bread.

Far too many very thinly-sliced fatty streaky smoked bacon either microwaved or fried until just before completely crisped.  You let the slices cool so that the butter doesn't melt and excess fat drains off. Just sort of not cool but not too warm.  The butter must stay as butter when you assemble..

An over the top over large portion of McCain French Fries airfried.  There must be sufficient so that when you put the bacon on they fall off all over the plate as later perks.

Assembly instructions.

Two slices of Tiger or other soft supermarket bought sweet white bread slices.  Butter both.  Bacon on the bottom.  Put the coolish bacon slices on the bottom slice.  Sprinkle with Sarsons Vinegar other malted vinegar's are acceptable.  Sprinkle with course sea salt.  Add far too many fries on top.  Salt and vinegar.  Put the buttered top bread on top.  Fries should be so many they fall out of all sides and become perks when the sandwich has been consumed. 

Handy Presentation Hint:  If you have posh company - or the vicar - then cut the sandwich poshly along the diagonals.  if however it is a lap based TV treat for you or a cheap unplanned neighbor or simply with your best friend then cut it across the narrow width as it's easier to eat. 

Please post piccies - I'll grade them out of 10/10.

Jeff

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, UKCruiseJeff said:

This is extremely sad I know.  But I think Bacon and Chip sandwiches are our very favorite meal.  It is a one a week thing at least and considered a meal.

You must try it.  Once tried, never left off of the menu.

I need to be precise about this.

Two slices of thick soft buttered sliced bread.

Far too many very thinly-sliced fatty streaky smoked bacon either microwaved or fried until just before completely crisped.  You let the slices cool so that the butter doesn't melt and excess fat drains off. Just sort of not cool but not too warm.  The butter must stay as butter when you assemble..

An over the top over large portion of McCain French Fries airfried.  There must be sufficient so that when you put the bacon on they fall off all over the plate as later perks.

Assembly instructions.

Two slices of Tiger or other soft supermarket bought sweet white bread slices.  Butter both.  Bacon on the bottom.  Put the coolish bacon slices on the bottom slice.  Sprinkle with Sarsons Vinegar other malted vinegar's are acceptable.  Sprinkle with course sea salt.  Add far too many fries on top.  Salt and vinegar.  Put the buttered top bread on top.  Fries should be so many they fall out of all sides and become perks when the sandwich has been consumed. 

Handy Presentation Hint:  If you have posh company - or the vicar - then cut the sandwich poshly along the diagonals.  if however it is a lap based TV treat for you or a cheap unplanned neighbor or simply with your best friend then cut it across the narrow width as it's easier to eat. 

Please post piccies - I'll grade them out of 10/10.

Jeff

Thank you!

I suppose it must be something along the lines of Elvis' Banana Peanut Butter sandwich, combination sounds totally off, but actually delicious. Will try this😊

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Grand Duchess said:

Thank you!

I suppose it must be something along the lines of Elvis' Banana Peanut Butter sandwich, combination sounds totally off, but actually delicious. Will try this😊

In a way yes,  but whilst a banana and peanut butter (and in my view) caramelised banana and peanut sandwich) does make sort of sense, I really feel that the bacon and chip sandwich is much more logical and not so much off-piste as Elvis’s.  

(EDITED: Can you imagine how Elvis’s banana and peanut butter sandwich life might have been improved if he had a “toasty” maker! I think he’d love this as a toasty)

It is perfectly normal and logical  to me but then I concede I am totally abnormal in my lingerings.

You cannot buy this on a visit to the UK and I cannot recall ever seeing it on a menu.  It might be that when I inadvertently made it after a beer or two it might have simply been visceral.   It isn’t really offered and if it were it is almost certainly unlikely to be right for you.  It is an eating you tune to your own taste.  It is something I say has to be made at home.  And I genuinely believe that once you’ve made it does become a mainstream eating.  

Of all the things wifey commands me to make, after a very plain and simple pasta with fresh tomato sauce  - then it is a bacon and chip sandwich  (but not at the same time!) followed by thick fish finger  sandwiches and every so often  then cod in tempura bites. I might have missed out some other demands.

Jeff  

Edited by UKCruiseJeff
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Lois R said:

Good morning coolers, Miss Sophia, nice to see you again😀

Today I go to the dentist (just a cleaning)😁. I am all packed for my trip. I will be leaving here VERY early tomorrow morning.  I never realized how different it is to pack for a land trip (especially this type of land trip) as compared to a cruise. I think I packed and re-packed 3 times😮.  Should be good to go now.

Thank you Lois,

hope you have a lovely trip

S 😊

1 hour ago, Grand Duchess said:

I was raised on "Graham Cracker, Peanut Butter and Banana" sandwiches!  I have never liked graham crackers in any other application [especially as the crust for that abomination "New York Style Cheesecake" – which is unacceptable to anyone who has had real New York Cheesecake like S&S or Juniors!], but it was essential here because this was my school lunch and after several hours bread would have been soggy.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, UKCruiseJeff said:

Good afternoon S!

BLUES!

We also saw BB at the RAH and took our younger son who is now a guitarist.  We also saw him at the RFH.   You may have noticed upthread that we managed to get The Beatles to support Brady in the ‘60’s  and BB King came to Brady at roughly the same time and from recall I think he got around £60 or so for the whole band.  It might have been £100 but it wouldn’t have been any more because the figures wouldn’t have supported it.  But at one time I think BB held the record of the most gigs of all time.  They parked their large coach right outside the club doors and were happy to chat to one and all.  No sound check opportunity was taken.  They simply all plugged in and played.  It was a big thing for us.  

I know you know I worked with Quo on and off for two years who really wasn’t my cup of tea at all.  I really gelled with Rick  he was simply always fun - but never quite with Rossi.  I last saw Rick a few months before he died in Spain when we were passing through LHR at the same time.  He was a delightful, puppy like man who had time for people but was simply hopeless at life. He ended up trying to sell cars and property in Spain and failed having spent most of his fortune on the wrong things.  I cannot ever recall him not smiling but I cannot recall Rossi ever smiling. A dour unhappy chap. 

Re Blues.  My icon in the 60’s was the mostly unknown player to most Alexis Korner who I was much more thrilled to work with a few times than almost anyone else.  He was a real “Blues” man and he was the basis of so many bands that followed.  The only problem was that I booked him a few times in the 60’s to work at clubs but you never knew exactly what you were going to get.  The worst was in ‘67 or so when I booked him for Cheltenham Spa Ballroom (remember ballrooms?) 😃

He turned up by himself with  a very small Selmar practise amplifier and guitar but no other band.  He was a real gentlemen but always a moving and evasive musical  target but this seemed even for him a bit lean.  He plonked the amp on a chair on the stage and played his stuff, then finished unplugged his amp, packed his guitar thanked the audience and wandered off.  I filled the rest of the evening playing records.  The club didn’t allow me to book any further bands for them and so ending a lucrative profit stream for me. 

Nostalgia isn’t what it was. 🙂

Jeff

Rick was my favourite too….had tickets to see the Rossi one man show but sadly Covid hit so couldn’t go….

One of my favourite nights out years ago was at BB Kings blues club in Memphis…..he wasn’t there but the bands were still brilliant…..great memories 😊

• Like 1

[Editor's note:  here begins an extremely amusing sub-thread between @UKCruiseJeff and @Host Jazzbeau about BBC comedy series – if I say so myself! —Host Jazzbeau...]

3 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

As you can see, Jeff, none of us lost the will to live reading your post!  😉

Thanks!  

There use to be a wonderful comedy TV programme in the UK about two men’s taylors called “Never Mind The Quality - Feel The Width!”  Sums up my post!  😁

If anyone is interested in a taster … it wouldn’t be allowed now!

Jeff

1 hour ago, UKCruiseJeff said:

There use to be a wonderful comedy TV programme in the UK about two men’s taylors called “Never Mind The Quality - Feel The Width!”  Sums up my post!  😁

I can still quote most of the lines from "Are You Being Served?" which also wouldn't be allowed now.  [But I own the complete DVD set, and nobody can stop me watching it!!!]

• Like 2

1 minute ago, UKCruiseJeff said:

You smutty person you.  😇

"Has anyone seen my pussy?"

Jeff

I love Mrs. Slocombe, and I am unanimous in that.  

But I was actually thinking of "Can you take his inside leg?" for the Scottish customer...