Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

49 minutes ago, UKCruiseJeff said:

TTS,

Thanks.

Carol King has to be at the top of singer/songwriters.  She deserves it not because of her singing which is enthusiastic, but because of her extraordinary songwriting.  When I first realised that she had written stuff I had always presumed was composed before her time by others eg Up On The Roof, Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow, Take Good Care Of My Baby, It Might As Well Rain Until September, Go Away Little Girl, Chains, A Natural Woman, One Fine Day, I’m Into Something Good, I Can’t Stay Mad At You, The Locomotion, You’ve Got A Friend, etc etc I realised she had occupied a place way above all else.  And the3se are just a few that others made her compositions into hits. 

Instinctively Burt Bacharach might have been ahead but he is two ie with Hal David.  So you divide his score by two and therefore Carol wins on points. 

I don’t think she was the best singer of her own songs but her compositions musicality reigns supreme.  So, a contender for headlining act at CoolerGlasto has to be Carol King singing her own songs on  Pyramid Stage is a sublime submission.

🙂

Jeff

Carol King wasn’t alone on her earlier material. She wrote the music with Gerry Goffin writing lyrics, until she went out on her own. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

Carol King wasn’t alone on her earlier material. She wrote the music with Gerry Goffin writing lyrics, until she went out on her own. 

Yes, they were a part of a hits factory.

Who are you nominating for CoolerGlasto?

Jeff

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

TTS….you’re so right about being able to know the words to every song….so much more pleasurable for one….

So many of the great artists of our time that could grace the stage…Beach Boys, The Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, Annie Lennox….

Can’t get my head around all this modern music or dancing they do now! 
I’m a 50/60’s gal…😊

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, MissSophia said:

TTS….you’re so right about being able to know the words to every song….so much more pleasurable for one….

So many of the great artists of our time that could grace the stage…Beach Boys, The Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, Annie Lennox….

Can’t get my head around all this modern music or dancing they do now! 
I’m a 50/60’s gal…😊

I have been holding back on this nomination because the moment that she suggested it I realised  it might be universally agreed top billing.

Freddy Mercury and Queen.  

The story was he fell out with Eavis and never played and wasn’t bothered about Glasto anyway.

That might have been the very best night of all Glastos.

Think Band Aid  +++

Jeff

Edited by UKCruiseJeff
  • Like 3

My photos are nothing close to what JP posted but I am going to try to attach a few of them.

The picture of the drink was the"House Special". It was gin but I can't recall the mixer part....but it was delicious!

Just now, Lois R said:

My photos are nothing close to what JP posted but I am going to try to attach a few of them.

The picture of the drink was the"House Special". It was gin but I can't recall the mixer part....but it was delicious!

It would be lovely to see your drinky piccies Lois.

Make sure there’s ice and a straw and a parasol.

🙂

Jeff

For Cooler Glasto may I put in a word for The Carpenters. Not only did Richard pen some catchy tunes but Karen had, surely, the pre-eminent voice of her generation. A few get close - Annie Lennox maybe, Eve Cassidy perhaps - but nobody can match that soaring, smokey purity. I'm not alone. Paul McCartney thinks so too! 

Edited by Tothesunset
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Tothesunset said:

For Cooler Glasto may I put in a word for The Carpenters. Not only did Richard pen some catchy tunes but Karen had, surely, thepp pre-eminent voice of her generation. A few get close - Annie Lennox maybe, Eve Cassidy perhaps - but nobody can match that soaring, smokey purity. I'm not alone. Paul McCartney thinks so too! 

That’s not fair.  Of course The Carpenters.  He - few liked.  She everyone loved and it turned out everyone wanted to protect her. 

She has the most wonderful of voices.  

Have you heard Rumer?  When I first heard her I thought it was new Karen tracks.

Jeff

42 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Lovely photos of your ‘Girlie’ trip Lois….thanks for posting 😊

• Like 4