Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

3 hours ago, UKCruiseJeff said:

It never occurred to me but do you live in the UK or just visit?

Jeff

Just visits.  First time in 1967 on a "school trip" – 10 days in London and Stratford from Stanford-in-France in Tours.  Then with DW in 1977 (London et vic. then rental car to Cheltenham and the Lakes District – that's where I discovered Cream Tea, in Broadway, and learned that a mustache doesn't go well with clotted cream...), 2018 (cruise calling at Lerwick, Invergordon, Edinburgh, Kirkwall, Orkneys, Ullapool, Belfast, Liverpool, Holyhead, Dover & Canterbury, & Greenwich followed by London then a rental car to Devon & Cornwall, Wye Valley, and Cotswolds) and 2021 (Portsmouth pre-cruise, where I realized that Krispy Kreme is an international phenomenon).  We'll be back in Portsmouth next year pre-cruise, and hope to get back to the Lakes District in the near future while we can still climb the fells.  

• Like 5

2 hours ago, DavyWavey70 said:

I Think I’ve seen this video actually Jeff. 

A follow-up would be the scene from the Marx Bros' Monkey Business, where they give a crew member's luxuriant handlebar mustache a 'trim' which they can't even out until he is completely clean shaven.  "I think you give him one 'snoop' too much..."

• Like 1

Jazzbeau - climb some fells for me, as I have just got back from the very wet Lakes and can no longer climb them - but still a wonderful area to visit.  I am lucky to have offspring who live there, and are occasionally willing to have their old mum to visit.

Admission - I have heard of Krispy Kremes but never seen one, so looked them up online and they are not available in this part of the world, apparently.  I must ask friends and neighbours, but only out of interest as I would not eat them anyway, not loving very sweet food.

4 hours ago, lincslady said:

Jazzbeau - climb some fells for me, as I have just got back from the very wet Lakes and can no longer climb them - but still a wonderful area to visit.  I am lucky to have offspring who live there, and are occasionally willing to have their old mum to visit.

Admission - I have heard of Krispy Kremes but never seen one, so looked them up online and they are not available in this part of the world, apparently.  I must ask friends and neighbours, but only out of interest as I would not eat them anyway, not loving very sweet food.

They sell them in our local Tesco Lola. In our local branch they are in a cabinet by the sandwiches and meal deals. If you don’t like very sweet though you should run at least a mile.

I did wonder; don't actually go out to do grocery shopping any more, I get deliveries from Waitrose - though it could be Sainsbury, Asda or Tesco as well.  They don't stock them at Waitrose, probably not surprising.  Probably not at Fortnums either, at a guess.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, lincslady said:

Hi,

If you want to try some - say for a family event - then you order directly from KK for DPD delivery before 1pm next day.  Small orders carry a £4.95 delivery charge … larger orders ie two boxes … are free.

I know it’s not for you, but they can work great for family events where a few kids and “older kids” are expected.  They can even be “personalised” for say some special event. 

We order every few months when the yearnings overtake.

Jeff

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

14 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Just visits.  First time in 1967 on a "school trip" – 10 days in London and Stratford from Stanford-in-France in Tours.  Then with DW in 1977 (London et vic. then rental car to Cheltenham and the Lakes District – that's where I discovered Cream Tea, in Broadway, and learned that a mustache doesn't go well with clotted cream...), 2018 (cruise calling at Lerwick, Invergordon, Edinburgh, Kirkwall, Orkneys, Ullapool, Belfast, Liverpool, Holyhead, Dover & Canterbury, & Greenwich followed by London then a rental car to Devon & Cornwall, Wye Valley, and Cotswolds) and 2021 (Portsmouth pre-cruise, where I realized that Krispy Kreme is an international phenomenon).  We'll be back in Portsmouth next year pre-cruise, and hope to get back to the Lakes District in the near future while we can still climb the fells.  

Appreciated the gaps filled.  I hadn’t realised that you were NY’er and so found myself pondering and thinking.  

Having been in reverse of you ie seeing NY and my other US explorations from the eyes of a Brit, (but never from such an early age as your school trip)  … and I found on every visit so much that was new to my senses and was by varying degrees often challenging and sometimes for which I was envious … so I’d be interested to hear of  your observations from the reverse perspective ie about your trips - from the school trip and onwards about your impressions and suprises and bewilderments from an American’s perspective.  

Sort of what is it that you saw and understood that was weird, or interesting, or disappointing or surprising  … what did you envy of us … and what was it that you were pleased that you had at home that was better … if you get my drift.  And if there is a question you think I haven’t asked .. then please ask it of yourself on my behalf. 

I’m incurably inquisitive and nosey.

Jeff 🙂

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

You asked for it Jeff.  This is turning in to one of your very long posts!

A few things stand out in my memory.  (1) On that school trip we stayed in Clapham Common in a school dormitory.  For breakfast there was a cafeteria line and the ladies were pouring tea out of an enormous metal kettle.  Periodically someone from the kitchen would bring out a giant pot of boiling hot water and add it to the kettle – which magically kept producing "builder's tea" just as strong as before.  I assumed that the kettle went back to Merlin's time and enchantment.  [Probably the refill pot actually contained tea, but I like my story better...]

(2) On the 1977 trip DW and I were both in the habit of having tea with dessert after dinner.  Could not get it anywhere in London.  When you ordered tea at that time of day, they looked at you as if you had two heads.  Even went to Twining's restaurant on the Strand – same story!  [I finally deduced that the issue was the paraphernalia that accompanies a cup of tea in England.  All the tea pots and strainers and tea cups etc. were put away after Tea Time and their space in the pantry taken by coffee pots and coffee cups etc.  But no one ever explained it to us.]

(3) In 2018 we were hoping that they finally would have finished the preparations for the Queen's 1977 Jubilee, which had had all of London swathed in scaffolding – but no, everything was covered up again for 2017 Jubilee projects running late.  But we are grateful for Queen Elizabeth having another Jubilee so that we got two!  [We missed a couple in the meantime, but we weren't paying sufficient attention...]  Don't think we'll make it for King Charles' Silver...

(4) The first time I visited Stonehenge, you just walked right up to the stones.  More recent visits show the heightened security we see everywhere.  No one is going to be able to add 21st-century graffiti to the Roman stuff already there...

(5) The 1977 trip was planned using the Egon Ronay travel guide.  My theory was that if you found a top-rated restaurant with rooms above, you would not only get a good dinner but also a cracking good breakfast.  Worked a treat.  British food may have deserved its bum rap in the past, but except for our first night in London [too jet-lagged to leave our hotel, which had a "Joint of Beef" restaurant that lived down to the worst reputation...] every meal was memorably good.

Sadly Egon is no longer with us [looked him up – never realized he was Hungarian, and his names aren't a tip off to any one nationality] but in Cornwall we were able to do the "restaurant with rooms" thing thanks to Rick Stein.

(6) On our 2018 trip we had a day-long tour in the Cotswolds that showed us small villages and 'secret' sites off the tourist track.  It included three stops at the tour guide's 500 year old thatched cottage whose kitchen is dominated by an AGA Cooker.

(7) Driving is the obviously big difference between our countries.  DW has no problem adapting to driving on the 'wrong side' but it throws me as the navigator.  On the 1977 trip the first roundabout was really perplexing [working off a paper map back then] and we went completely round at least three times before I could choose an exit!

In 1977 we knew the driving rules, but we were surprised that you also walk on the left side of the sidewalk [which you call the pavement] – it makes sense, but no one had ever mentioned it.  In 2018 we didn't notice it, either because so many tourists muck up the instincts or because people everywhere have just gotten lax about such things...

Also the size [or lack thereof] of British country roads.  We rent what in the US are considered mid-size cars [Audi A6] to hold our luggage – in Britain they feel as wide as lorries!  The last time I had reserved a Jaguar XF [because I have never been in one, and when I owned an MG I always lusted after E-types] but Sixt Victoria Station said they couldn't find one [!] and gave us a Maserati instead.  That was a very nice car, but in Dartmoor???  [DW ways the worst was just getting out of London...]

Distance markers and speed limit signs – I had to verify with someone that they are in Miles.  Very nice of you to do that for us American tourists!

America is a much bigger country than Britain, so we plan trips for longer distances than you imagine.  When we were staying in Cheltenham in 1977 [Egon Ronay restaurant with cozy rooms above] we mentioned at breakfast that we were heading for Bath, Salisbury and Stonehenge.  They asked if we wouldn't be wanting our room that night?  We said "We'll be back for dinner!"  It was only 172 miles, a piece of cake for a day trip.

But in 2018 the traffic in England was worse than anything we get on the East Coast of the US.  Trying to drive from Padstow to Chipping Campden [244 miles, under 4 hours says maps.com] took so long that both Chepstow Castle and Tintern Abbey had closed by the time we got there [they are pretty from the outside...] and we barely made dinner at our "GastroPub with Rooms."  The detour into Wales was supposed to add an hour, but given the state of the M5 I think it may have saved us time...

Anyway, we are very much Anglophiles and are looking forward to more trips.  Next spring we're taking a Noble Caledonia cruise Island Hopping in the Hebrides, and in the summer we'll be back in Portsmouth for an Azamara cruise to France.

• Like 6

This is a fun assignment! We’re just stepping out for lunch at our favorite restaurant on the beach so I’m going to mull this over and see what I can remember. It’s been a long time now, mid 1960s and several times since through the years.

My first lesson. A yard is not a garden or lawn!

• Like 1

1956 chocolate ice cream at the Park Lane Hotel.  1958 picking up our new Mark VIII with steering wheel on the left side and driving through England and even into London.  More chocolate ice cream.  Riding in our cousin’s 1929 Bentley with the sunroof leaking.  My father kept a daily diary of all our trips.  I will have to read it to dig up more memories.  The English reporting of the 1972 Olympics while I was alone in the Bonnington Hotel.  This was before the days of sensationalism in the news media.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Emtbsam said:

This was before the days of sensationalism in the news media.

I don't think there was ever such a time.  Remember that William Randolph Hearst caused the Spanish-American War!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

You asked for it Jeff.  This is turning in to one of your very long posts!

A few things stand out in my memory.  (1) On that school trip we stayed in Clapham Common in a school dormitory.  For breakfast there was a cafeteria line and the ladies were pouring tea out of an enormous metal kettle.  Periodically someone from the kitchen would bring out a giant pot of boiling hot water and add it to the kettle – which magically kept producing "builder's tea" just as strong as before.  I assumed that the kettle went back to Merlin's time and enchantment.  [Probably the refill pot actually contained tea, but I like my story better...]

(2) On the 1977 trip DW and I were both in the habit of having tea with dessert after dinner.  Could not get it anywhere in London.  When you ordered tea at that time of day, they looked at you as if you had two heads.  Even went to Twining's restaurant on the Strand – same story!  [I finally deduced that the issue was the paraphernalia that accompanies a cup of tea in England.  All the tea pots and strainers and tea cups etc. were put away after Tea Time and their space in the pantry taken by coffee pots and coffee cups etc.  But no one ever explained it to us.]

(3) In 2018 we were hoping that they finally would have finished the preparations for the Queen's 1977 Jubilee, which had had all of London swathed in scaffolding – but no, everything was covered up again for 2017 Jubilee projects running late.  But we are grateful for Queen Elizabeth having another Jubilee so that we got two!  [We missed a couple in the meantime, but we weren't paying sufficient attention...]  Don't think we'll make it for King Charles' Silver...

(4) The first time I visited Stonehenge, you just walked right up to the stones.  More recent visits show the heightened security we see everywhere.  No one is going to be able to add 21st-century graffiti to the Roman stuff already there...

(5) The 1977 trip was planned using the Egon Ronay travel guide.  My theory was that if you found a top-rated restaurant with rooms above, you would not only get a good dinner but also a cracking good breakfast.  Worked a treat.  British food may have deserved its bum rap in the past, but except for our first night in London [too jet-lagged to leave our hotel, which had a "Joint of Beef" restaurant that lived down to the worst reputation...] every meal was memorably good.

Sadly Egon is no longer with us [looked him up – never realized he was Hungarian, and his names aren't a tip off to any one nationality] but in Cornwall we were able to do the "restaurant with rooms" thing thanks to Rick Stein.

(6) On our 2018 trip we had a day-long tour in the Cotswolds that showed us small villages and 'secret' sites off the tourist track.  It included three stops at the tour guide's 500 year old thatched cottage whose kitchen is dominated by an AGA Cooker.

(7) Driving is the obviously big difference between our countries.  DW has no problem adapting to driving on the 'wrong side' but it throws me as the navigator.  On the 1977 trip the first roundabout was really perplexing [working off a paper map back then] and we went completely round at least three times before I could choose an exit!

In 1977 we knew the driving rules, but we were surprised that you also walk on the left side of the sidewalk [which you call the pavement] – it makes sense, but no one had ever mentioned it.  In 2018 we didn't notice it, either because so many tourists muck up the instincts or because people everywhere have just gotten lax about such things...

Also the size [or lack thereof] of British country roads.  We rent what in the US are considered mid-size cars [Audi A6] to hold our luggage – in Britain they feel as wide as lorries!  The last time I had reserved a Jaguar XF [because I have never been in one, and when I owned an MG I always lusted after E-types] but Sixt Victoria Station said they couldn't find one [!] and gave us a Maserati instead.  That was a very nice car, but in Dartmoor???  [DW ways the worst was just getting out of London...]

Distance markers and speed limit signs – I had to verify with someone that they are in Miles.  Very nice of you to do that for us American tourists!

America is a much bigger country than Britain, so we plan trips for longer distances than you imagine.  When we were staying in Cheltenham in 1977 [Egon Ronay restaurant with cozy rooms above] we mentioned at breakfast that we were heading for Bath, Salisbury and Stonehenge.  They asked if we wouldn't be wanting our room that night?  We said "We'll be back for dinner!"  It was only 172 miles, a piece of cake for a day trip.

But in 2018 the traffic in England was worse than anything we get on the East Coast of the US.  Trying to drive from Padstow to Chipping Campden [244 miles, under 4 hours says maps.com] took so long that both Chepstow Castle and Tintern Abbey had closed by the time we got there [they are pretty from the outside...] and we barely made dinner at our "GastroPub with Rooms."  The detour into Wales was supposed to add an hour, but given the state of the M5 I think it may have saved us time...

Anyway, we are very much Anglophiles and are looking forward to more trips.  Next spring we're taking a Noble Caledonia cruise Island Hopping in the Hebrides, and in the summer we'll be back in Portsmouth for an Azamara cruise to France.

J,

Thanks so much for these recollections and observations, which my wife and I have now read several times and found them both fascinating and illuminating on several levels. 

I think our first impressions was realising just how really small our country is because I have personal affiliations on several levels with almost everywhere you mentioned ... and the MG even! 

This is how small our country is.

For example, I worked for a short time from an office at Clapham Common where my company car was a new MGB GT. 

I had an office for a while at 212 The Strand ... a couple of doors along from Twinings.  I'm not aware that they ever had a restaurant there ... it was a place to taste and buy tea so perhaps you went to a place to eat nearby?  Simpsons perhaps?  Certainly having tea with desert is unusual here even now, but I'm surprised anyone said "no".

I lived in Cheltenham for half of the week when I DJ'd and hosted at what was then Cheltenham Spa Ballroom a couple of nights a week and my uncle later owned an Egon Ronay restaurant just down from the Queens Hotel on The Promenade.  He also had a shop selling expensive kitchen stuff on The Promenade.  Cheltenham was a great place for a DJ because they had a rather decent Girls  School.  😉 

We now live a few miles from Stonehenge and Salisbury.  It doesn't seem long ago that you could walk around the Stones without paying an entrance fee and walk straight from the road where you parked. .

I think the tea experience is simply that before we all knew about different types of tea ... it was simply "tea" served from enormous normally aluminum tea pots with a handle at the back and another by the spout that stewed and stewed and then boiling water was continually added to accommodate the stewing until it was time to give up and make a fresh pot.

And more ...... but ....  the overwhelming impression is of how small our country really s compared to my impressions of my many visits to America.

Thanks so much for your patience and efforts which we found really interesting and entertaining. We learned and it put what we take for granted into a new perspective.

Jeff

• Like 5

This was a real trip down memory lane.  My digital photos only go back to 2003, so I have to pull out the cases of color slides to check details on the prior trips.  My college "grand tour" was quite amazing!  Too bad Stanford doesn't have European campuses like that any more, or make any attempt to provide a traditional liberal education.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

This was a real trip down memory lane.  My digital photos only go back to 2003, so I have to pull out the cases of color slides to check details on the prior trips.  My college "grand tour" was quite amazing!  Too bad Stanford doesn't have European campuses like that any more, or make any attempt to provide a traditional liberal education.

Your recollections are extraordinary and  … dare I suggest … even precious because I don’t think we should overlook that we are the very first generation in our long history where everything we recall or think and then write in place like The Cooler will not ever be lost in the future mists of time as so much of what happened in our world just a short time ago.  Everything will always henceforth be archived and available through increasingly clever AI search algorithms  for anyone inquisitive to find out about us in the future.  

So we should do more of this sort of thing because we can both learn now and help others do so in the future. 

🙂

Jeff

• Like 4

I found a fall recipe last week but it took a while to gather the ingredients.

Pork chops cooked with bacon, in an apple cider and mustard sauce, with sliced apples, shallots, and sage. It was worth the wait.

20240825_164345.thumb.jpg.31d2dada176d0d379e4ebda6b521ae96.jpg

Berkshire heritage pork chops from Fred the Butcher. Found some tasty Gala apples at the supermarket. I didn't have fresh cider so I used boiled cider and diluted it. Sage was from the garden, crisped in bacon grease.

I matched it with an Austrian Grüner Veltliner. 

It was great, but now we have to take a walk around the block to metabolize some of it!

• Like 8

Gotta love the Cooler.  Sitting here in Southern Virginia and reading and seeing of so many interesting places; England, Wales, Switzerland when we're lucky, Brazil and its South American neighbors, Australia, New Zealand, upstate New York where I just learned the folks there have access to Berkshire Heritage foods, Florida, New York, Ohio, California, Maryland, Virginia, Texas, Oregon, DC area, (tell me if I've missed somewhere!).  All I can say is thank you all!

So, what's missing?  Well, tonight's music roaming led me to Stellenbosch, South Africa.  The choir at the university there knocked me out with their rendition of "Some Nights".  Do we have any coolers, lurking or otherwise, from this beautiful country?

One touching verse:

My heart is breaking for my sister
And the con that she called "love"
And then I look into my nephew's eyes
Man, you wouldn't believe
The most amazing things
That can come from
Some terrible nights

• Like 11

Last night we had neighbors over for dinner, and had them cook it!  The fellow had been eyeing my 55k btu outdoor gas wok-friendly side burner for some time, and said he'd like to make his specialty chicken black bean sauce stir fry on it sometime.  So, weather being most cooperative, we went out with a bottle of wine and the wok & ingredients, and he stir fried to his heart's content.  Before their arrival, I made UKJeff's flourless orange cake (again), and tried my hand for first time making scallion pancakes.  I added some gomasio before rolling up, which added some additional sesame flavor.  They came out pretty well, and are actually pretty easy to whip out.  I think a second time I could improve them quite a bit.  They were a good compliment to the stir fry.   A splendid time was had by all, based on the count of empty wine bottles this AM while doing cleanup.  

IMG_6734 4.jpeg

IMG_6735 4.jpeg

IMG_6736 4.jpeg

IMG_6737 4.jpeg

• Like 10

1 minute ago, QueSeraSera said:

Gotta love the Cooler.  Sitting here in Southern Virginia and reading and seeing of so many interesting places; England, Wales, Switzerland when we're lucky, Brazil and its South American neighbors, Australia, New Zealand, upstate New York where I just learned the folks there have access to Berkshire Heritage foods, Florida, New York, Ohio, California, Maryland, Virginia, Texas, Oregon, DC area, (tell me if I've missed somewhere!).  All I can say is thank you all!

So, what's missing?  Well, tonight's music roaming led me to Stellenbosch, South Africa.  The choir at the university there knocked me out with their rendition of "Some Nights".  Do we have any coolers, lurking or otherwise, from this beautiful country?

One touching verse:

My heart is breaking for my sister
And the con that she called "love"
And then I look into my nephew's eyes
Man, you wouldn't believe
The most amazing things
That can come from
Some terrible nights

Beautiful QSS, I'll be there in January. Can't wait. I've been suffering from a rather persistent ear worm all day today. Watch this Video with great caution!

• Like 6

This is one of the artists that work with Scott Bradlees’ Post Modern Jukebox that I’ve got front row seats for at the Royal Albert Hall on St George’s day 2025. I Can’t wait. I think Scott is a genius. And what’s more the dress code is vintage so my smoking jacket will get a bonus outing! 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:(2) On the 1977 trip DW and I were both in the habit of having tea with dessert after dinner.  Could not get it anywhere in London.  When you ordered tea at that time of day, they looked at you as if you had two heads.  Even went to Twining's restaurant on the Strand – same story!  [I finally deduced that the issue was the paraphernalia that accompanies a cup of tea in England.  All the tea pots and strainers and tea cups etc. were put away after Tea Time and their space in the pantry taken by coffee pots and coffee cups etc.  But no one ever explained it to us.]

It sounds like what you needed HostJB was the Savoy Grills’ pre and post theatre supper. You’d arrive at 6, enjoy a starter and main course in the Grill, pop off to enjoy a show and then return to the Thames Foyer after the show for Desert and Tea/Coffee. The Grill is all Ramsey these days so I’m not sure they still offer that but I’ll let you know in April. I’ve not felt able to visit since I left in July 1997 after they ripped the heart out of the place, (I lived and breathed The Savoy for 8 years). I Finally feel able to visit now 27 years later and we are probably going to stay for our trip to London. I Absolutely love the bones of that very special place. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, DavyWavey70 said:

It sounds like what you needed HostJB was the Savoy Grills’ pre and post theatre supper. You’d arrive at 6, enjoy a starter and main course in the Grill, pop off to enjoy a show and then return to the Thames Foyer after the show for Desert and Tea/Coffee. The Grill is all Ramsey these days so I’m not sure they still offer that but I’ll let you know in April. I’ve not felt able to visit since I left in July 1997 after they ripped the heart out of the place, (I lived and breathed The Savoy for 8 years). I Finally feel able to visit now 27 years later and we are probably going to stay for our trip to London. I Absolutely love the bones of that very special place. 

That would indeed have worked on our 1977 trip, as we were doing the West End of an evening.  I remember seeing Robert Morley in Banana Ridge – a dreadful plot, but a perfect vehicle for him.  A few days later we were having dinner in Henley and a couple of tables over were Eli Wallach and Anne Bancroft, dining with (and fawning over) Morley!  [BTW, I'm not playing 'can you top this?' – or at any rate I'm one and done, as that is my only encounter with the rich and famous]

In addition to not having digital photos of that trip, we don't have one of DW's wonderful blogs.  In those days she wrote a précis of each day on a postcard and sent it to her mother, with instructions to keep them.  But we have no idea where they are now...

• Like 1