Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

2 hours ago, Emtbsam said:

Thank you Charles and Jeff.  My work is cut out for me.

No probs.  But don’t be overwhelmed … the end result will be worth the effort and bring those images alive.  AI will fill in what the camera could have filmed if it had been a modern camera.  AI is extraordinary for this stuff.   🙂

Jeff

7 hours ago, mysty said:

Myster's favourite meal is a Prime Rib.  He found the perfect recipe and has used it repeatedly.  Of course, with the price of Prime Rib these days, those opportunities are not as abundant as they once were.  For those interested here is the recipe and a little info about the chef who created the recipe, Ricardo Larrivée.

Prime Rib Roast (The Best)

Preparation - 15 min
Cooking - 2 h 25 min
Servings - 6

Ingredients

1 tbsp unbleached all-purpose flour

1 tsp salt

1 tsp ground black pepper

1 tsp onion powder

1/2 tsp garlic powder

1 roast beef prime rib, about 4.5 lbs (2 kg) with the bone, at room temperature for 1 hour

Preparation

With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 500°F (260°C). Line a baking sheet with foil.

In a bowl, combine all of the ingredients, except for the roast.

On a work surface, rub the roast all over with the seasoning mixture.

Place the roast on the baking sheet, fat side up. Bake for 25 minutes. Turn the oven off and do not open the door for 2 hours. It is very important not to release any heat from the oven. Remove the roast from the oven and slice. Serve with béarnaise sauce, if desired.

496x670_5367.jpg.125b4ae6eb258c4549a9c2ce7957b65e.jpg

The Chef.....

Ricardo Larrivée, sometimes credited as Ricardo, is a television host and a food writer who lives in Quebec, Canada. He hosted the television show Ricardo on Radio-Canada and previously hosted Ricardo and Friends on Food Network Canada...

https://www.ricardocuisine.com/

Thanks for posting this - brought back some memories, as I've watched Ricardo a lot and it's very similar to a technique that my mother bequeathed to me many years ago - also for a 4.5 - 5.5 lb roast.

- Use any rub or marinade of your choice in advance. Mine is a 50/50 mix of Worcestershire and Soya, followed by a generous dusting of garlic powder.

- Preheat to 350F, place the roast in the oven and roast for 1 hour.

- Turn off oven, for at least 1 hour but up to 3 hours. NO opening of the door!

- Roast for 45 minutes at 325F prior to desired serving time. Rest for 20 minutes.

The method works (as I suspect yours does) for roasts in the 5lb range. They both make sense if you consider the temps and times versus a continuous cook. Roasts that are too small or large suffer unfortunate consequences!

I look forward to trying Myster's approach! 🍺🥌

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, CurlerRob said:

Thanks for posting this - brought back some memories, as I've watched Ricardo a lot and it's very similar to a technique that my mother bequeathed to me many years ago - also for a 4.5 - 5.5 lb roast.

- Use any rub or marinade of your choice in advance. Mine is a 50/50 mix of Worcestershire and Soya, followed by a generous dusting of garlic powder.

- Preheat to 350F, place the roast in the oven and roast for 1 hour.

- Turn off oven, for at least 1 hour but up to 3 hours. NO opening of the door!

- Roast for 45 minutes at 325F prior to desired serving time. Rest for 20 minutes.

The method works (as I suspect yours does) for roasts in the 5lb range. They both make sense if you consider the temps and times versus a continuous cook. Roasts that are too small or large suffer unfortunate consequences!

I look forward to trying Myster's approach! 🍺🥌

Thank you @CurlerRob !  I don't think you will be disappointed!  🥰

• Thanks 1

@mysty When we first started going to Acadia National Park there was a restaurant that offered "Grilled Prime Rib" – apparently they cooked the whole rib to very rare, then sliced it and when you ordered they would finish a slice for you as desired.  It was wonderful!  Seared on all sides.  I don't order Prime Rib in restaurants, because without that grill finish I find the meat flavorless.  

Myster's production above looks wonderful – for the outside pieces at least.  But "serves 6" and there are only two of us [as you, I think?] – so what do you do with the other 4 servings?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

@mysty When we first started going to Acadia National Park there was a restaurant that offered "Grilled Prime Rib" – apparently they cooked the whole rib to very rare, then sliced it and when you ordered they would finish a slice for you as desired.  It was wonderful!  Seared on all sides.  I don't order Prime Rib in restaurants, because without that grill finish I find the meat flavorless.  

Myster's production above looks wonderful – for the outside pieces at least.  But "serves 6" and there are only two of us [as you, I think?] – so what do you do with the other 4 servings?

I Thought American steak consumption was a matter of national pride HostJB? Our local butcher is superb and whenever I spy a tomahawk of Welsh Black I can’t resist. He usually cuts it to around 1kg (with the bone). We’re so lucky with our local butcher here, he puts on the blackboard  which farm each days cuts are from. Luckily (as a disassociated animal lover that will never find satisfaction from a vegetarian diet) he doesn’t give us the animals names. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

26 minutes ago, DavyWavey70 said:

I Thought American steak consumption was a matter of national pride HostJB? Our local butcher is superb and whenever I spy a tomahawk of Welsh Black I can’t resist. He usually cuts it to around 1kg (with the bone). We’re so lucky with our local butcher here, he puts on the blackboard  which farm each days cuts are from. Luckily (as a disassociated animal lover that will never find satisfaction from a vegetarian diet) he doesn’t give us the animals names. 

With age comes wisdom – or else obesity.  DW mentioned yesterday that when we were married she used to cook us 2 pork chops each for dinner.  Now we don't finish 2 together.  But we have kept our weight steady and our Lipids reasonable (me with a little help from one of the oldest statins – the one with the fewest side effects).  

We don't eat as much beef as we used to – so we savor what we do:  only USDA Prime.  I haven't found Black Angus to live up to its hype [and they rarely tell us its USDA rating, so I wonder...].  Wagyu is just too fatty and not beefy enough.  And grass-fed doesn't seem to taste right either.  Just plain old Amurcan beef with the govt seal of (marbled fat) approval, thank you very much.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Myster probably consumes slightly more than 1 serving.  We freeze the leftovers and have open-faced beef sandwiches as a dinner sometime later.  😁

• Like 4

The only steak we eat these days is bavette, a French bistro staple.  We love it because it has so much flavour and is also fairly cheap because no one knows about it, apart from chefs.   Fillet is tender and tasteless, sirloin just a bit boring, rib-eye OK if bavette isn't available.  The trick with bavette is not to overcook it and it must be carved into thin slices in the right direction.  The great chef Albert Roux, using the British name for bavette, once said "I love a piece of skirt."

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, drron29 said:

Well @TLCOhio we are getting a bit of news about the Ohio State NFL team. Seems you have a great team this year. But our news is mainly about your new Aussie punter.

https://www.nine.com.au/sport/college-football-2024-ohio-state-buckeyes-nick-mclarty-punts-ball-out-of-stadium-20240824-p5k511.html

Appreciate this great tip/follow-up as to this very talented Aussie kicker.  Had not followed and will share with others the super skills for this punter. Good news!!  BUT, in our American version of what we call football, punters are not needed and kicking that much if the offense is successful in moving the ball down the field, scoring touchdowns and kicking field goals to score points.  

For our Ohio State, their few games are against lesser teams.  The first "BIGGIE" game will be on Oct. 12, when they travel to the third-ranked Oregon campus to play the fast-moving Ducks.  

Oregon, USC, UCLA and Washington are now in the Big Ten (with 18 teams) and this is the first season when this mostly Midwest league will be totally Coast-to-Coast with their league games.  For those college football fans, the changes are big with NIL, new conference alignments, the rich getting richer, a 12-team play-off to decide a National Champion, etc.  

Any other college football fans here at the Cooler?

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Summer 2019 Calgary, Jasper/Banff National Parks, Western Canada Rocky Mountaineer rail adventure, Vancouver, sailing up to Alaska on Silver Muse, post-cruise excursion to Denali, etc.  Many visuals, Our firsts in these scenic areas!  Now at 22,836 views. Live/blog: 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2682584-live-terryohio-silver-muse-alaska-canadarockies-pix’s/

Good Afternoon Coolers,

Yesterday’s schnitzel harvest was too much for one meal, so half were reserved for some relatively lazy planned kitchen down-time cooking for me and so I fried her favourite schnitzel in butter plus her favourite side which shows how low a standard she is prepared to accept from me.  It’s tinned spaghetti hoops/loops … 🫣  .. + …. !  😀

In my own defence, I added fried buttered mushroom, fresh chopped herbs (thyme, oregano, tarragon and parsley) and a sprinkling of reggiano.   It was more than good enough if I hadn’t confessed. 

Also in my own defence, this is a picture of the actual rustic plate made by my own fair(ish) lazy hands.  

There are no days that cannot be improved by a schnitzel. 

Jeff

IMG_7016.jpeg

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

8 minutes ago, UKCruiseJeff said:

Good Afternoon Coolers,

Yesterday’s schnitzel harvest was too much for one meal, so half were reserved for some relatively lazy planned kitchen down-time cooking for me and so I fried her favourite schnitzel in butter plus her favourite side which shows how low a standard she is prepared to accept from me.  It’s tinned spaghetti hoops/loops … 🫣  .. + …. !  😀

In my own defence, I added fried buttered mushroom, fresh chopped herbs (thyme, oregano, tarragon and parsley) and a sprinkling of reggiano.   It was more than good enough if I hadn’t confessed. 

Also in my own defence, this is a picture of the actual rustic plate made by my own fair(ish) lazy hands. 

Jeff

IMG_7016.jpeg

SpaghettiO’s??????

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

TLC, Yuppers, there are few of us college football aficionados.  Out here in Track Town, USA (aka Eugene, Oregon), we will be watching the Duck football season unfold with great interest.  Dan Lanning is a great coach, who has assembled a stellar coaching staff.  Dillon Gabriel, sixth season quarterback, has stellar stats, lots of starts and Vegas Heisman buzz.  In most positions Ducks have a lot of skilled players and deep bench.  I understand on the first College Game Day, two of the four commentators suggested Ducks would finally go all the way this year, the other had them coming in #2 in the Natty.  It would be a real Cinderella Story if the Ducks walk into the Big10 and say "Hold my beer, while I go all the way!".  Whoda thunk little old UO at Eugene could field a team like this?  So, we'll be making chili and corn bread, roasting jalapeños and cracking open a nice Cote de Rhone this Saturday.  Gonna be fun!  Go Ducks!   

And when not rooting for the Ducks, we support the OSU Beavers, 50 miles up the Willamette Valley, who got the fuzzy end of the lollipop in this whole Pack12 realignment. This after literally tearing down and rebuilding their stadium last year.  But I think they're going to land on their feet.

14 minutes ago, spinnaker2 said:

SpaghettiO’s??????

You have led a far too sheltered life.  

I’m so looking forward to a Cooler posting that they make their own “O’s” and it’s worth the effort.  Wait long enough and it will happen.  😜

The terrible thing is that the own brand we choose is 50p per tin.  And it is wonderful and She is happy.   

As an aside, she is dyslexic.  And she use to make me shopping lists.  It use to say “spahittig”.  How can you not be besotted and adore such lovely individualism that makes a person you love so completely unique.   There is a unique language that only She and I have. It is precious. 

I’m getting soppy now so will stop. 🙂

Jeff

Edited by UKCruiseJeff
  • Like 1

My granddaughter when a toddler referred to milk as "numpf". And she preferred the full fat version that her father drank so that became "Daddy numpf". 

She's in her teens now yet, on our shopping list for her visits we have, among other things, "Daddy numpf". 

And she still likes Drawberry Numpfshake! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

2 hours ago, Will Work for Tiramisu said:

TLC, Yuppers, there are few of us college football aficionados.  Out here in Track Town, USA (aka Eugene, Oregon), we will be watching the Duck football season unfold with great interest.  Dan Lanning is a great coach, who has assembled a stellar coaching staff.  Dillon Gabriel, sixth season quarterback, has stellar stats, lots of starts and Vegas Heisman buzz.  In most positions Ducks have a lot of skilled players and deep bench.  I understand on the first College Game Day, two of the four commentators suggested Ducks would finally go all the way this year.

YES to our friend in Oregon!!  The Ducks are loaded with talent and skilled coaches.  The Nike money and support have made their teams excellent in recent years.  Did watch the ESPN Gameday where two of their experts picked Oregon to win the National Championship.  

Will be watching Oregon closely leading up the game hosting Ohio State in Eugene.  Prior to that Oct. 12 showdown, the Ducks must play Oregon State, UCLA and Michigan State. As another unique twist, former Oregon and UCLA Head Coach Chip Kelly is now at Ohio State as their Offensive Coordinator.  

Great questions as to where Oregon State and Washington State end up as all of the college conference re-organizations continue to evolve.  

Keep tuned in.  Lots of good upcoming games and match-ups.  Will share with friends in Ohio your insights and background about the Oregon athletic machine.  Hopefully, those in your state will welcome the Buckeyes when they visited on Oct. 12.   

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

India to Singapore 2024:  Live/Blog over 22,300 views with many visuals, including “Golden Triangle”, Japan, Sri Lanka, Thailand and Malaysia:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2992045-live-terryohio-india-to-signapore-silver-moon-rising-pix’s/

• Like 1

While talking about tinned food, below shows my lunch two days ago. It is called Labskaus, a typical Northern German (am on Sylt now) sailor's dish, combining mashed potatoes, corned beef, beetroots into an unsightly mush (my darling husband used to call it worse and refused to even taste it) and then crowning it with a fried egg,  some pickles and a rollmops (pickled herring) or two. All stuff they would have on a ship. Tastes a lot better than it looks, I actually like it when it is a bit stormy outside, as it was on that day.

IMG_8448.jpeg

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, Grand Duchess said:

While talking about tinned food, below shows my lunch two days ago. It is called Labskaus, a typical Northern German (am on Sylt now) sailor's dish, combining mashed potatoes, corned beef, beetroots into an unsightly mush (my darling husband used to call it worse and refused to even taste it) and then crowning it with a fried egg,  some pickles and a rollmops (pickled herring) or two. All stuff they would have on a ship. Tastes a lot better than it looks, I actually like it when it is a bit stormy outside, as it was on that day.

IMG_8448.jpeg

That looks so yummy!!!!  I say, yes please!  😋

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Grand Duchess said:

IMG_8448.jpeg

That’s very much like what l call a corned beef hash…l mix the beef, mash with onion, place into a baking dish top with grated cheese and thinly sliced tomatoes and bake for about twenty minutes….it’s a meal in itself…yours looks very tasty! 😊

• Like 3

We visited Barbados for the first time in December past. We really enjoyed our time there.  One of the many things we learned about were the Chattel houses.  Such an interesting concept!

From Wikipedia....

"Chattel house is a Barbadian term for a small moveable wooden house that working class people would occupy. The term goes back to the plantation days when the home owners would buy houses designed to move from one property to another. The word "chattel" means movable property so the name was appropriate. Chattel houses are set on blocks or a groundsill rather than being anchored into the ground. In addition, they are built entirely out of wood and assembled without nails. This allowed them to be disassembled (along with the blocks) and moved from place to place. This system was necessary historically because home "owners" typically did not own the land that their house was set on. Instead, their employer often owned the land. In case of a landlord tenant (or employer/employee) dispute, the house could be quickly moved to a new property.

It has been customary for people in Barbados to build additions onto their chattel houses. As such, the house may look as though different sections are at slightly different heights or in a different pattern due to each part being constructed at different stages.

Modern chattel houses tend to have a greater degree of permanence, as they are often connected to the electricity mains, and may either have a permanent septic tank or be connected to a public sewer system.

Timbers were in pre-cut in standard lengths of 12 to 20 feet (even numbers). The front façades tend to be symmetrical, with the door in center flanked by a window (equally spaced), on each side. As the financial situation changed additions would be made. The roofs were often made of corrugated metal made of iron.

A single unit was the first-step and consisted of two rooms within. By nickname, these were often called a "one-roof house".

Next, a shed may be added onto the back. The second roof added, was often called the "shed roof". Creating what was commonly called a "one-roof house and shed".

Further-yet another roof was often later added on to the home, transforming it into a "two-roof house and shed". In some cases a "three-roof house" might even be developed with a final shed at the back for use as a kitchen.

As the dimensions changed the style of roofs also changed. These earlier styles gave way to the four-sided roof called the 'hip'. or the steep two-sided gable'. Since then many homes have also transitioned to a more 'flat top' roof with a minimal slope."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chattel_house

Here is our little Chattel house.....

20240621_1548022.jpg.4bb8875f6ddbaee59dcb8097010a95fa.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1