For those who participate in Afternoon Tea

bichonandon

Has anyone ever done it as an Elite on your balcony? Do they just put it out and leave?

We did afternoon tea for 7 on our Ruby Princess balcony in Glacier Bay last month on a beautiful, warm day. We had 3 adjacent cabins with the balcony doors open. Our cabin had an extended balcony (E731) so we placed the 3 tables together in the aft curve of the balcony. The room service waitress covered them with tablecloths and offered to set out all the food and drink but we declined and did it ourselves. It was delicious and lovely -- we even saw 3 orcas swimming together! It was the best afternoon tea ever.

The Royal/Regal/Majestic have both High Tea for a cost and the regular tea with no charge.

I have never seen High Tea on a Princess ship.

High tea is a meal which includes hot courses.

Its a different thing altogether from afternoon tea, or a cream tea

High tea is a meal which includes hot courses.

High Tea will include savories whereas Afternoon Tea won't; however they may well not have to be hot.

When we had it BITD on our return from a hard days work it would have included pie, omelette or welsh rarebit and if any of those had not been hot there would have been trouble at t'mill.

Different customs in different parts of the country. Or former British Empire or Commonwealth or what have you

Edited by Griller

For those who are interested:-

https://www.thekitchn.com/whats-the-difference-clotted-c-87144

If you are ever in Devon make sure you have a Devonshire Cream Tea.

If you are eating scones on the boat do you have the cream first or the jam?

Jam first, then clotted cream on top.

We did several taste tests as we did a driving trip around England several years ago, and our vote goes to Cornwall’s clotted cream, although I wouldn’t turn down either.

On the boat I expect they add sugar to partially whipped cream, but just my suspicion

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Jam first, then clotted cream on top.

If you are as greedy as I am then the weight of the clotted cream (not that on Princess) would push out any jam (that is the consistency of the Princess jam) all over my fingers. It doesn't help that Princess scones are VERY crumbly too, BUT all in all they are very yummy and moreish.

On the Royal Princess, they have a variety of loose leaf teas available in the International Cafe. They counted as 1 punch on a coffee card. I was known to get a pot of tea and take it to the dining room. I never found out if you could order it from the MDR. But on the Royal that's an option for those wanting upgraded tea choices.

On the CB recently, my mother in law had a pot of tea from the International Cafe. They were using the Mighty Leaf tea bags. It is a cut above the Bigelow products available in the buffet and MDR. I was please to see however, that they were using Stash green tea instead of Bigelow. I strongly dislike Bigelow green tea. I cooled off some hot water and made it for myself in the buffet once.

Arctickitty

Do you know if they had any Darjeeling tea available on board?

Mike

Yes, they did.

They had Lipton, Bigelow English Breakfast, and Bigelow Darjeeling tea for black tea options in the buffet. Every morning in the MDR I wanted to ask for it but I was shy of sounding like a snob. I did ask for English Breakfast in the MDR and got it.

While we are on the tea subject...this was my first time doing Traditional Dining and I am sold on it. They brought my husband and I pots of chamomile and mint tea every night with dessert, without us asking after the first night.