Tsa

neilkear

From the article, TSA does have authority over cruise departures, and works with the cruise lines to make sure the procedures are in place. The actual people doing the security checks are contacted either by the cruise line or the port. Bus and train stations are handled the same way for the TSA's requirements.

Local law enforcement may be there too. When you return there are agents from CPB as well for customs enforcement, and they have the right to search you for nearly any reason (no probable cause required at any border or port of entry, so most of the 4 amendment protections simply don't apply). They can take and clone your computer, phone, tablet or smart watch and search it later at their leisure.

Does the TSA do security for embarkation at The New York Cruise Terminal?

NO, TSA has nothing to do with port security. Security in the terminals is contracted to private companies and local law enforcement. Once on board the ship, it is done by NCL and the USCG.

Why are you asking?

I was thinking that a cruise terminal is a major transportation hub and the TSA, as part of Homeland Security does have jurisdiction over airports, railroads, highways, mass transit systems, pipelines and ports. So I wondered if they did security. I am actually glad to hear that it's not handled by them, after many years of flying I have no real confidence in the TSA.

I was thinking that a cruise terminal is a major transportation hub and the TSA, as part of Homeland Security does have jurisdiction over airports, railroads, highways, mass transit systems, pipelines and ports. So I wondered if they did security. I am actually glad to hear that it's not handled by them, after many years of flying I have no real confidence in the TSA.

TSA is involved in it but I think the actual federal agency in charge of security at ports is the Coast Guard. They have this article on their web site that explains their interaction with the CG and local authorities.

I know the Port Authority in NY threatened to kick the TSA out of the three airports under its jurisdiction, so I think a local government could kick them out.

TSA is involved in it but I think the actual federal agency in charge of security at ports is the Coast Guard. They have this article on their web site that explains their interaction with the CG and local authorities.

I know the Port Authority in NY threatened to kick the TSA out of the three airports under its jurisdiction, so I think a local government could kick them out.

This is correct. TSA agents do not do port screening, but they provide the expertise to train the security personnel used by the port authority, and guidance on requirements for inclusion in the port's ISPS (International Ship and Port Security) code, and how to implement those requirements.

As for state/local government trumping TSA at airports, I'm not sure about that, as air travel is considered interstate commerce, and therefore falls under federal jurisdiction, but you'd have to read the ATSA (Air Transportation Security Act) to know for sure where the jurisdictional lines lie.