Carnival visits HMC? Thought it was HAL only.

Operator

I am hearing a lot of ads on local radio for Carnival cruises touting visits to Half Moon Cay. I was under the impression that this was a HAL-owned island; am I going to be bumping shoulders with a few thousand Carnival Cruisers? Please refrain from the obvious class warfare replies; I am just trying to understand if a (presumably) previously exclusive port is no longer so. Thanks.

-Operator

I feel it is good that the island will be used in the summer months as well. I would think it really benifits the workers there.

The one thing that is a bit annoying is the fact that price for cabanas for Carnival is only 149$ (i believe). :mad: How is that fair?

If the information on CruiseCal.com is accurate, and that's a big "if", the only time in 2006 that HAL and Carnival will share HMC is on May 22 when Prinsendam and Elation will both be there. All other HAL ships will have departed the Caribbran for the summer long before then.

Even in the non-summer months, HMC is only used 3 or 4 days a week by HAL, so they could rent out the island on the off days with no... or few... problems.

If the information on CruiseCal.com is accurate, and that's a big "if", the only time in 2006 that HAL and Carnival will share HMC is on May 22 when Prinsendam and Elation will both be there. All other HAL ships will have departed the Caribbran for the summer long before then.

Even in the non-summer months, HMC is only used 3 or 4 days a week by HAL, so they could rent out the island on the off days with no... or few... problems.

Oh No!:( Hopefully Cruise.cal is wrong..According to the itinerary I have we're (Prinsendam) at HMC on May 20 & we arrive back in FLL on May 21..But wouldn't mind sharing though if HAL decides to give us two extra days..

Oh No!:( Hopefully Cruise.cal is wrong..According to the itinerary I have we're (Prinsendam) at HMC on May 20 & we arrive back in FLL on May 21..But wouldn't mind sharing though if HAL decides to give us two extra days..

Oops...Sorry my mistake:o ..Forgot this is the Prinsendam's return trip..But oh do I wish they were giving us two extra days FREE...LOL

In my (admittedly brief) experience with HAL, and based on various posts and web information, it is rare for HAL to give anyone anything other than an apology (which they dispense freely). I was on the Maasdam for one of the ill-fated Spring 2005 engine-failure cruises, and with two missed ports, AC problems en suite, and various other issues, we received nothing more than several apologies (and we asked, politely and repeatedly, for shipboard credit; ended up having this discussion:

Diplomatic Operator: "So if the ship leaves Norfolk, the engines die, and we sit out in the Atlantic for 11 days then get towed back into Norfolk, HAL would not owe us anything, is that your position?"

Deer-in-the-headlights Hotel Manager: "According to the terms of your contract, yes. Yes, that is correct.")

But that's another thread. Sorry - I just feel that (even with a non-guaranteed contract) failure to deliver (i.e. missed ports) should result in partial credit of purchase price. If you bought eggs and only got nine in your dozen, would you expect the store to give you three more eggs or 25% off? I would. The best I've ever heard from HAL is an offer of credit on a future cruise, bringing to mind the image of a surgeon that amputates the wrong arm, then offers to cut off the other one at a discount.

-Operator

If you bought eggs and only got nine in your dozen, would you expect the store to give you three more eggs or 25% off? I would. The best I've ever heard from HAL is an offer of credit on a future cruise, bringing to mind the image of a surgeon that amputates the wrong arm, then offers to cut off the other one at a discount.

-Operator

BUT! If there were a sign as you entered the store that stated " We do not guarantee that our cartons of eggs will contain one dozen eggs, or any eggs at all, and no refund will be made for missing eggs" then you would not be entitled to any compensation, would you.

In essence, that is what your contract states.

But we're getting off topic of the thread here....

Okay, bad example.

My point is that even in the absence of a guarantee - or in the presence of a contract giving the vendor an out - common sense, good business practices, and plain fairness dictate that when one spends thousands of dollars on a product and the vendor doesn't deliver, equitable compensation is appropriate.

I'll put it to the experienced readers of these boards:

If you missed two of six ports on a cruise, would you expect to be told "too bad, your contract doesn't guarantee any ports" or given some compensation? What if you missed all of the ports, steamed circles in the Atlantic for a week and a half, then came home? Would you expect anything then?

These are not rhetorical questions - I am truly trying to understand if I simply don't grasp the cruise industry's concept of fairness and fee for service. I agree that a full refund is not remotely warranted - you would still be lodged, fed, have access to activities, etc. But ports are (to me) a major part of why we cruise. Sea days are fun, but we already had plenty on our Norfolk-based itinerary.

I am anxious to hear some replies.

-Operator

P.S. Don't get me wrong - this is a minor point and I am repeating on HAL later this year.

Wow, am I getting old.

I just remembered that in the wake of the Maasdam mess of April 2005, HAL did offer everyone a $100 shipboard credit. I was torqued because I felt it should have been a percentage of fee paid (yes, I was in an S suite).

Just wanted to set the record straight - previous questions still apply.

-Operator

I'll put it to the experienced readers of these boards:

If you missed two of six ports on a cruise, would you expect to be told "too bad, your contract doesn't guarantee any ports" or given some compensation? What if you missed all of the ports, steamed circles in the Atlantic for a week and a half, then came home? Would you expect anything then?

In answer to your questions: yes/no, and no. When I cruise the ship is the destination, and any ports are just an interruption in an otherwise lovely voyage.

Anyone who has any experience cruising knows that if you want to enjoy a particular area you take a land-trip there---on a cruise there is no guarantee that you will actually make it to the port. When a port is missed you are entitled to a refund of your port charges---and that only. When the line provides a complimentary glass of champagne at dinner that is a bonus.

Wow, am I getting old.

I just remembered that in the wake of the Maasdam mess of April 2005, HAL did offer everyone a $100 shipboard credit. I was torqued because I felt it should have been a percentage of fee paid (yes, I was in an S suite).

Just wanted to set the record straight - previous questions still apply.

-Operator

I think offering a $100 shipboard credit was very generous of HAL..All cruise lines have missed ports for one reason or another & most of them don't offer anything but the port charges back & as RuthC says maybe a glass of Champagne..Don't think that a returning a percentage of the fee is warranted in this case..I've been on other lines, of which one was a transatlantic cruise where we missed several ports & nothing in the way of compensation was ever offered..Have also been at resorts, where their pools were out of comission for several days &/or they were partially under construction & did not get our $$$ back..HAL housed you, cleaned your cabin, entertained you & & fed you for those days.. Don't really understand why would anyone ask for anything back other than the port charges.. And yes if they offered me a discount on a future cruise, I would be delighted, but not expect it..

Sorry, did not mean to start anything here..My asking for the two extra days for sharing was strictly meant as "tongue in cheek"..

Okay, then.

I see that I was uninformed about the standards and practices of the cruise industry, and will reset my expectations appropriately. I appreciate the non-incendiary feedback folks have provided on this topic.

-Operator

P.S. Did some other research that shows 10-15% of all sailings on all lines miss at least one port. Explains the itinerary change clause in the contract, as well as the industry position on the non-compensability of these misses.

To clarify - Carnival owns HAL. See excerpt from Hoovers.com:

Carnival offers a boatload of fun. The company is the world's #1 cruise operator, with 12 cruise lines and more than 75 ships carrying about 6.3 million passengers. Carnival operates in North America primarily through its Princess Cruise Line, Holland America, and Seabourn luxury cruise brand, as well as its flagship Carnival Cruise Lines unit.....The company acquired luxury cruise business Holland America Line in 1989 and formed a joint venture with Seabourn Cruise Lines in 1992. Carnival changed its name to Carnival Corporation in 1994 to reflect its diversifying operations, and it took a 50% stake in Seabourn the following year.

Archived