Ship to Sagrada Familia to La Rambla and back to ship

Pixiemom2

Have a few questions about our Barcelona plans. Planning on taking a taxi to Sagrada Familia (thinking this might be the easiest way). After that, is getting to La Rambla walkable (say 20 minutes) or is there a better way to get there? Is the port bus I've seen mentioned an option for getting from La Rambla back to the port?

We are on Symphony in a few weeks and I'm trying to figure things out.

Thanks!

Have a few questions about our Barcelona plans. Planning on taking a taxi to Sagrada Familia (thinking this might be the easiest way). After that, is getting to La Rambla walkable (say 20 minutes) or is there a better way to get there? Is the port bus I've seen mentioned an option for getting from La Rambla back to the port?

We are on Symphony in a few weeks and I'm trying to figure things out.

Thanks!

Google Maps shows it as about a 30 minute walk. I did the walk several years ago and that seems about right to my recollection. It's a pleasant and safe walk, but not all that remarkable. I'd probably suggest a taxi if I had to do it again. The upper end La Rambla starts at Placa de Catalunya and this is where the 30 minute calculation was made from. Most people who "walk La Rambla" would start here and walk the slightly downhill avenue all the way down to Columbus Circle. I have not read much on the Port Bus lately, but it used to run from the ships to Columbus Circle and back. So if it's still running, this could be your return transport to the ship. Worst case, another taxi could get you there as well.

We agree that using a taxi from the ship to the Sagrada Familia is the best option. If you decide to walk back to the Ramblas area....be advised that its a bit further then you might think. As an alternative you could use the Metro (L2 will get you relatively close or L2 to L3 will take you to the center of the Ramblas). A short taxi ride will also save you time and a long walk. We have done the walk a few times and its pretty boring....although through very safe and clean areas. Since we love to walk for exercise its a no-brainer....but many folks do not even like to walk from one end of the ship to the other :). I am not sure of the actual walking distance but it feels like about 2 miles.

Hank

Agree with previous posts re: walk from Sagrada Familia to Las Ramblas - rather long, uninteresting walk. According to Google Maps, the walk from SF to Placa Catalunya (essentially, the beginning to the Ramblas) is 2.7 km (1.67 miles). As Hlitner posted, the metro is an alternative that will quickly get you to the Ramblas.

Thanks everyone. Think a cab or metro is the way to go. Is it safe to assume cabs only take euros and not credit cards? Anyone take the port bus from La Ramblas lately?

The ones we took did not take cards, but that doesn't mean some wouldn't. They are pretty inexpensive.

Thanks everyone. Think a cab or metro is the way to go. Is it safe to assume cabs only take euros and not credit cards? Anyone take the port bus from La Ramblas lately?

Some taxis may take credit cards (ask before you get in the taxi).....but the drivers still might refuse a credit card on such short hauls. When traveling around on your own it is always wise to have some Euros in your pocket. Keep in mind that bank ATMs are everywhere in Barcelona so its always easy to get Euros.

Hank

We did the walk from Sagrada Familia back to La Rambla 2 years ago. The previous posters are correct, its longer than it seems and mostly unremarkable, especially if one is in a hurry. However, for us we stopped along the way for lunch and enjoyed it tremendously. Good beer and food. We also then walked down La Rambla back to the port area bus stop. For us the walk was more enjoyable than the previous posts. If you are pressed for time then a cab or metro may be the way to go.

We like the Barcelona cabs. Clean and reasonably priced.

Cheers

Tom

Have a few questions about our Barcelona plans. Planning on taking a taxi to Sagrada Familia (thinking this might be the easiest way)...? We are on Symphony in a few weeks and I'm trying to figure things out. Thanks!

My apologies if you know this already, but just in case, here is my two cents. Make sure you have your tickets for the type of tour pre-purchased, AND for the right date. We were behind a couple last year who had tickets for the wrong date and they were not let in.

Roehl