Caribbean Princess - Aug 4-11 - Better than I expected

DiTomCruisers

Have been on board caribbean princess since aug 4, get off aug 25.

The new highspeed wifi rolled out this sailing. So fast we were able to stream a movie on youtube. I was able to post a video to my page and video chat is easy. As elite we get an unlimited package for one device.

I assume since you are both elite that you each get the unlimited package and for each of you it is for one device at a time, and that you can switch which device after signing out from the one you are on.

I'm sorry if I seem confused here, but there's been a lot of conflicting info, it seems, on these boards. Are they still taking old coffee cards for now? My wife has an unpunched card and we were thinking of using it, rather than getting a new card, on our cruise in October. (My wife doesn't need the unlimited normal coffees if she can just get specialty ones)

I used up old punches on the CB in July.

I'm sorry if I seem confused here, but there's been a lot of conflicting info, it seems, on these boards. Are they still taking old coffee cards for now? My wife has an unpunched card and we were thinking of using it, rather than getting a new card, on our cruise in October. (My wife doesn't need the unlimited normal coffees if she can just get specialty ones)

Email received last night from someone currently on this cruise and will be on it until Sept. 1st. Yes, old cards are good and will be until August 31, 2019.

Very good, thorough review. Thanks for the insight.

One observation though regarding *****. I too am an IT person who's been in the industry since 1973. In talking to some of the crew on the Coral Princess last January on the Panama Canal transit as well as a very seasoned and well-informed cruise couple we met on that cruise, it sounds like two things went wrong. First, it sounds like Princess IT dropped the ball on testing ***** before rolling it out. I wasn't involved in the project so I can only speculate but based on the some of the specific issues expressed to me, it sounds like there wasn't enough stress testing to ensure it could handle a full load of passengers and crew. Second, I'm also guessing that there were significant design flaws and/or insufficient hardware/bandwidth capacity given that it was rolled out, pulled back and has taken so long to be reintroduced. It's all just speculation on my part but I've seen too many projects with the same issues as a result of poor design and testing.

I agree with you that an application such as ***** has amazing potential and I look forward to seeing it in action when we're on the Caribbean Princess for the two week Circle Caribbean starting 1/26/19. Technology, when well designed and implemented, can make life so much easier and enriching. I've subscribed to Idahospuds thread "Live from the Caribbean Princess" that starts tomorrow because she'll be giving details on *****. Looking forward to it.

Again, great review. Thanks for sharing.

Was Fantastic Journey the new show that premiered on the Majestic? It’s supposed to be really elaborate with drones and so on.

Very good, thorough review. Thanks for the insight.

One observation though regarding *****. I too am an IT person who's been in the industry since 1973. In talking to some of the crew on the Coral Princess last January on the Panama Canal transit as well as a very seasoned and well-informed cruise couple we met on that cruise, it sounds like two things went wrong. First, it sounds like Princess IT dropped the ball on testing ***** before rolling it out. I wasn't involved in the project so I can only speculate but based on the some of the specific issues expressed to me, it sounds like there wasn't enough stress testing to ensure it could handle a full load of passengers and crew. Second, I'm also guessing that there were significant design flaws and/or insufficient hardware/bandwidth capacity given that it was rolled out, pulled back and has taken so long to be reintroduced. It's all just speculation on my part but I've seen too many projects with the same issues as a result of poor design and testing.

I agree with you that an application such as ***** has amazing potential and I look forward to seeing it in action when we're on the Caribbean Princess for the two week Circle Caribbean starting 1/26/19. Technology, when well designed and implemented, can make life so much easier and enriching. I've subscribed to Idahospuds thread "Live from the Caribbean Princess" that starts tomorrow because she'll be giving details on *****. Looking forward to it.

Again, great review. Thanks for sharing.

Great insight as well Dennis.. Agreed, they needed some more customer acceptance testing with real people prior to roll out. I was on the Regal last year when it was rolled out, I was surprised that no one followed up with us users, so they missed out on some great feedback.

Now I think that there would be no problem with getting testers to provide some user testing. Heck I'd be willing to volunteer to go on anther cruise and give a daily recap over a drink or two. Princess would have no problem getting quality feedback if they sought it.

Thank you for the review!

Any idea which cabins have been included in the ***** trial? And was any indication given as to “speed” of roll out on CB?

I was on the CB on the July 21st sailing and on our last port stop we had ***** installed on our door so we could tap our key to get in our room. I was on Aloha Deck A424

Email received last night from someone currently on this cruise and will be on it until Sept. 1st. Yes, old cards are good and will be until August 31, 2019.

We've missed you Pia!!! Hope you can do a Live From during your stay onboard. Bon Voyage!