Stateroom Door Width on Regal Princess MiniSuites, M1

ginnynj

Hi All, I had posted this on the sub-board but no responses. Could use your help.

DH has shortness of breath when getting around and I am considering renting a mobility scooter for a repo cruise from NYC to FLL in November. HC cabins long gone but I do have a M1 on Baja. Anyone know the width of the cabin door, would help in choosing a mobility scooter, mainly to get around the ship. Thanks Bunches! :halo:

From the mobility questionnaire:

Mobility devices with batteries must be a dry cell, gel, or lithium-ion type and must be stored and recharged in the stateroom.Mobility devices of any kind, like other items, may not be left outside the stateroom. Please be sure that your mobility equipment is nowider than 22” if booked in a standard cabin or no wider than 31” if booked in an accessible cabin.

Since you will be on an open-jaw cruise I expect you will need to rent from one of the ship's authorized suppliers that will deliver and retrieve the scooter from your cabin at the start and finish of the cruise. Unless you plan is to use the scooter for your return travel to your home airport, thus renting one to be both delivered and picked up directly to you at home.

Further from the FAQs; these companies know which of their products will collapse to fit through the standard door width:

All Princess ships have wheelchair-accessible staterooms, but we highly recommend collapsible wheelchairs, as the widths of the stateroom doors vary. You may bring your own, or you can pre-reserve a wheelchair and have it and other medical equipment delivered to the ship by contacting Special Needs at Sea at 800-513-4515 (outside the US 954-585-0575) or by visiting the special needs at sea website. Alternatively, you can contact Scootaround at 888-441-7575 (or outside the U.S. or Canada at 204-982-0657), email at webinquiry@scootaround.com or visit the scoot around website.

Thanks so much for you reply. I am working with our TA and she uses the approved cruise mobility company, so not a problem there. I have considered our portable wc as well. But the door width is golden! Really appreciate your help, we are elite and haven't cruised for a year so I am so looking forward to being at sea once again. :cool:

My husband had a lung removed almost 5 years ago. The first cruise we took after his surgery I thought our cruising days were over, he had a terrible time getting around. We have taken three cruises since that one and I have rented a scooter through Special Needs Group toll free 1-800-513-4515. It is in our cabin when we board the ship. The last cruise we took 1-18 through the Panama Canal we again booked our usual balcony cabin, but with a concentrator, and a scooter in the room we were way too crowded. For this January I have booked a mini and am looking forward to it. Hope this helps, do let Princess know, because you will need help with getting an approved extension cord from your room steward. Phyllis

Thank you, yes we are aware, that he can do and so can I. The hardest thing for us was the lack of space, we were tripping over all the cords and having that couch made him much more comfortable. That is that for us, we need the extra space.

When making rental inquires, just let them know the width restrictions for a cruise. You may want to look into just buying your own.

Thanks. I have been exploring that as well. I appreciate your reply. :cool:

Thanks so much for your encouraging comments on cruising again. We sure have missed it. We have had mini suites many times, never on the newer boats, but many many on the grand class ships so although there is a tub/shower there are grab bars. It is about having the room. Our TA is right on top of communications and noting our rez with what we are doing. So glad you are cruising again, it's just one of the many pleasures of life I would hate to have to give up. Knowing there are support options is a great thing. Really appreciate your thoughts and comments. Wishing you many happy cruises ahead! Yes, I know all are ships :-)

My husband had a lung removed almost 5 years ago. The first cruise we took after his surgery I thought our cruising days were over, he had a terrible time getting around. We have taken three cruises since that one and I have rented a scooter through Special Needs Group toll free 1-800-513-4515. It is in our cabin when we board the ship. The last cruise we took 1-18 through the Panama Canal we again booked our usual balcony cabin, but with a concentrator, and a scooter in the room we were way too crowded. For this January I have booked a mini and am looking forward to it. Hope this helps, do let Princess know, because you will need help with getting an approved extension cord from your room steward. Phyllis

hopefully, you are aware that the mini suites have a tub/shower combo which may or may not be a problem

we don't book them for that reason...

Handicap cabins have much more room than standard and the doors are wider. We bring my husbands scooter and rent an oxygen concentrator from Special needs at Sea and space is not a problem,even in an inside cabin. The shower is also much larger. We bought a scooter and find it has much improved quality of life both on a ship and at home.

Hi All, I had posted this on the sub-board but no responses. Could use your help.

DH has shortness of breath when getting around and I am considering renting a mobility scooter for a repo cruise from NYC to FLL in November. HC cabins long gone but I do have a M1 on Baja. Anyone know the width of the cabin door, would help in choosing a mobility scooter, mainly to get around the ship. Thanks Bunches! :halo:

My husband has COPD and therefore shortness of breath.

You will never get a mobility scooter though the standard M* stateroom door. You might be able to have the scooter stored by your room steward but it seems to be hit and miss. Some suggestions.

1. Research your ship before you go. Find out where venues are that you know you will want to use and see where they are.

2. Get a cabin as close to the middle elevators as possible. He’ll have less walking down a long corridor to get to an elevator. You can get to your activity deck and walk forward and aft as needed.

3. Buy (not rent) an FAA approved Portable Oxygen Concentrator (POC) with spare battery. Inogen makes one that weighs less than 5 pounds and can be slung over your shoulder. Be sure to buy extra cannulas. The extra oxygen will help a lot. Your doctor will have to proscribe supplemental oxygen to buy the POC but it’s pretty common.

4. Rent (or buy) a folding wheelchair (consider a transport chair). When collapsed they will fit thought a standard stateroom door and can be stowed in your closet.

5. Princess has a form online that can be emailed or faxed to them about your mobility and special needs. Send it in as soon as possible. They need to know in case of an on board emergency.

Try not to use the chair on ship, they often get in the way and cannot be left in corridors or many public spaces. That’s where the POC comes in handy.

If you are flying you will need to use the POC and you must contact the airlines medical department about using it. You will have to show it to TSA and security and be able to prove what it is. The flight staff will also want to know what it is. Typically you need batteries that will last twice the total flight duration.

One more thing, have a good time! Do and enjoy what you can and ignore the rest.

Good luck, Fred

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks Fred! Great information and I appreciate all your direction. I will download that form to fill out and send to my TA. Already use a foldable portable wc for distance walking, it's some mobility and SOB so it's a work in motion. Your comment though are aces. Thanks bunches!

My husband has COPD and therefore shortness of breath.

You will never get a mobility scooter though the standard M* stateroom door. You might be able to have the scooter stored by your room steward but it seems to be hit and miss. Some suggestions.

1. Research your ship before you go. Find out where venues are that you know you will want to use and see where they are.

2. Get a cabin as close to the middle elevators as possible. He’ll have less walking down a long corridor to get to an elevator. You can get to your activity deck and walk forward and aft as needed.

3. Buy (not rent) an FAA approved Portable Oxygen Concentrator (POC) with spare battery. Inogen makes one that weighs less than 5 pounds and can be slung over your shoulder. Be sure to buy extra cannulas. The extra oxygen will help a lot. Your doctor will have to proscribe supplemental oxygen to buy the POC but it’s pretty common.

4. Rent (or buy) a folding wheelchair (consider a transport chair). When collapsed they will fit thought a standard stateroom door and can be stowed in your closet.

5. Princess has a form online that can be emailed or faxed to them about your mobility and special needs. Send it in as soon as possible. They need to know in case of an on board emergency.

Try not to use the chair on ship, they often get in the way and cannot be left in corridors or many public spaces. That’s where the POC comes in handy.

If you are flying you will need to use the POC and you must contact the airlines medical department about using it. You will have to show it to TSA and security and be able to prove what it is. The flight staff will also want to know what it is. Typically you need batteries that will last twice the total flight duration.

One more thing, have a good time! Do and enjoy what you can and ignore the rest.

Good luck, Fred

Sent from my iPad using Forums