Our "Not-Quite-As-Planned" Horizon 8/8 Adventure

sb4ever

Speaking of JiJi's and Cucina, I didn't eat there. The one day we were going to go at lunch (I think third "official" sea day), people were lining up at 11:00 (it didn't open until noon). At one point, I saw they were handing out pagers and it was a 45 minute wait. The lunchtime reviews from those I talked to were "meh" at best or not worth the wait.

Because we were already doing one night at Chef's Table, we didn't eat at either for dinner. However, I heard rave reviews about JiJi's at dinner. I think we may try this on the next sailing.

We ate dinner at JiJis on the Vista and are looking forward to going again on the Horizon. IMO it's a better option than the Cucina (way too much food and not enough variety for just a couple dining) and as good as if not better than the Steakhouse. Each person should order a different thing and then split it up at the table.

Do you think we need reservations ahead of time for dinner at JiJi. Could we do it the week we are sailing? I made reservations for the steak house and the Teppanyaki (because we love that)

I don't think it would hurt. That way, you would get the date/time you want. I think the only one they don't specifically give you a date for is Chef's Table. I know Teppanyaki was so popular on our sailing that they ended up opening up lunch seating.

I know Teppanyaki was so popular on our sailing that they ended up opening up lunch seating.
The reason it's popular is because of the limited availability since there are only 16 seats at 530, 715 & 900. Not a really good value though compared to Jiji's, Cucina and the Steakhouse. All three of them are priced cheaper than at land based comparable establishments. Teppenyaki at 25-30 is similarly priced to Benihana type places.

The reason it's popular is because of the limited availability since there are only 16 seats at 530, 715 & 900. Not a really good value though compared to Jiji's, Cucina and the Steakhouse. All three of them are priced cheaper than at land based comparable establishments. Teppenyaki at 25-30 is similarly priced to Benihana type places.

What is offered at JiJi's for lunch? Is it just a Mongolian grill type bowl or are there entrees to choose from?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

What is offered at JiJi's for lunch? Is it just a Mongolian grill type bowl or are there entrees to choose from?
We went the first sea day. It is a bowl - choose a noodle, a protein, vegetables and sauce. There's also salad and fried wontons as appetizers. (The wontons are to die for!)

I agree the Steakhouse is the best value for a upgrade but its a vacation thing. We like the "choppy choppy" as my kids call it. If there is a "choppy choppy" on a ship we have to do it.

CHEF'S TABLE ----------> JUST DO IT!!!!

Oh my! We decided to splurge and book Chef's Table for this cruise given that Horizon had specifically built a special dining room for it. We were certainly not disappointed. I set a "reservation" a few months before the cruise, but I did not know the exact date we would have the dinner. On embarkation evening, we received a letter with instructions. Our specific reservation was for the night of San Juan. I'm pretty sure if you let them know you want a specific date on your cruise, they would do their best to make it work for you. We were fine as we didn't have an excursion planned for San Juan.

We checked in at 6:30 in the main lobby. We had 10 people at our dinner because one couple forgot about their reservation. The experience takes place in the galley and the hostesses lead you in through the reflections dining room. When booking, don't make firm plans for anything else that evening as we didn't finish until well after 10 p.m. Every dish was superb and the presentation was amazing! Wine is free-flowing - my glass was never empty. We could not finish the last course. Everything was decadent. For the price, you won't find anything like it on land. If you are even considering it, don't wait; it is well worth it!

Blue Iguana Cantina: This is my "go-to" breakfast place. I love the breakfast burritos! They are so filling that I typically wasn't hungry until after the big lunch rush. They also have breakfast tostadas and heuvos rancheros (sp) I think they are open for breakfast from 7-11:00 (? - don't quote me) and then they close to prepare for lunch at noon. During lunch, they have burritos with your choice of shrimp, chicken or steak (they may have pork, I was a little fuzzy) or you can forego the tortilla and get a salad in a shell - YUM! Be sure to ask for extra guacamole because you can break apart the shell and dip it :) The other side of the cantina serves tacos with fresh made tortillas. I believe you have the option of fish, chicken or beef. I had tacos one day and a salad another day. There is usually a pretty big line for burritos during the lunch rush but the tacos are pretty much walk-up.

My husband loves BIC for breakfast too. Thank you for your review!