First time in Bermuda and first time in overnight port

vivelerock88

Hi,

I'm going on a Carnival Cruise to Bermuda next month with 2 friends from college. I've been on many cruises but never to Bermuda. The ship will be there Wed - Fri.

I'm looking for recommendations of any must-do things in Bermuda, without doing anything totally extravagant and expensive because we're in our 20s / 30s. We're interested in things like snorkeling, caves, beaches, seeing pink sand and sunsets, and mostly relaxing (nothing too adventurous or physically difficult). What do you recommend and what should be booked with the cruise versus done independently? Thanks!!

Bermuda is small. There's almost nothing you "have" to book through the cruise line that you can't do on your own. There are "top 10 things to do in Bermuda" lists which are pretty standard: Horseshoe Bay, snorkeling, Tobacco Bay, the history in St. George's, cave tour, Gibbs Lighthouse, maybe a glass bottom boat if you don't go snorkeling. I don't think Hamilton is worth seeing on a two day stop over. It's a pretty city, but not much to do there.

Food and drink in Bermuda is very expensive.

One of the nice things about an overnight stop is that you'll have time leave the port area and explore. Like the previous poster said, there's nothing that you have to book through the cruise line. Just do some research ahead of time and book your own tours. You'll save quite a bit of money. I think some of the "must do" things are horseshoe bay beach (That's the pink sand beach), snorkeling at Tobacco Bay, St. George's and the caves. Hamilton is nice, but I wouldn't spend too much time there unless you find something of interest there. I've never been to Gibbs Hill Lighthouse, but I'd like to to there on my upcoming cruise (which is this week...so excited!). I'm assuming you'll dock in the dockyard (This is where all of the bigger ships dock.), and there are a lot of sunset cruises that leave from this area. I've seen quite a few posts about people being unable to book these independently, and the general consensus is that the cruise lines have reserved these tours for people who book through the ship, BUT, you could probably find on your own if you do a bit of research.

Horseshoe bay isn't a "must do". It's simply a natural beach closest to the dockyard that has amenities.

I'd suggest instead of horseshoe going to jobson's cove and warwick long bay which are a few minutes farther from Horseshoe. No amenities or lifeguards, but you'll see tons of awesome fish in Jobson's cove, and if you want to frolic in the waves, you can go to Warwick Long Bay which is a minute walk over from Jobson's cove.

If you're going to spend the time going out to St. George, then Clearwater Beach / Turtle Bay / Cooper's Island Nature Preserve offer a much nicer experience than Tobacco Bay. It's a bit longer to get to (Ferry to St. George and then cab, or about a 1 hour cab ride from the Dockyard to the beach). I arranged minibus transport in advance because we were a group of 14. There's a restaurant and facilities at Clearwater, as well as various rentals (paddle boats, etc). It's easy to snorkel at turtle bay where you have a very good chance of swimming along with sea turtles, seeing small eels, and various fish if you go out to the rocky area. There are also lifeguards on station.

Where is a good place to go shopping in Bermuda, if not Hamilton? Any shops worth going to?

Based on your roll call posts I assume you're on the Anthem of the Seas. The ship berths in the Royal Naval Dockyard, and you will have shopping right there in the Clocktower Mall as well as some other shops located in the Dockyard but not in Clocktower Mall itself. It's worth a brief shopping visit, but I wouldn't plan a day revolving around shopping.

Yes, the Washington Mall, right when you get off the ship :)

No...not the Washington Mall, which is in Hamilton. The poster's ship will be berthed in the Dockyard.

Where is a good place to go shopping in Bermuda, if not Hamilton? Any shops worth going to?

I don't really think of shopping in Bermuda. Really expensive place in general. One should go to the rum cake factory in the dockyard and eat as many free samples as they will allow.

I don't really think of shopping in Bermuda. Really expensive place in general. One should go to the rum cake factory in the dockyard and eat as many free samples as they will allow.

I like to shop at the Glassworks and the Bermuda Craft Market at the Dockyard.

In Hamilton and St. George’s, The English Sports Shop. The store in Hamilton is much larger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk