Having Ballot Sent To Port Agent

USN59-79

As a follow-up to my just posted message:

The address to the Hong Kong Port Agency was several lines in length. Requesting that this ballot be sent the first time, the Elections Board staff member repeatedly questioned me about the necessity of including all of those lines. ("All of the lines won't fit on our address label for the ballot envelope".) I convinced her that the address had to be written as directed and maybe using a larger address label or some other method would work. When the ballot envelope arrived, the complete, proper address was printed on it. I have concluded--rightly or wrongly--that the complete address (which had not changed in any way) was not fully shown on the ballot envelope and that prevented its proper delivery to me when I tried to vote the next time from Hong Kong.

The only problem I haven't solved yet is what to put for my overseas address. They won't be mailing anything there, but they require a "valid" one.

I received a response to my inquiry to my local Supervisor of Elections Office. Florida requires that an address in the first overseas port of call be listed as my overseas address. In my case, that would be Papeete, Tahiti. I called Princess for the Port Agent's address there, but the agent didn't have it. She gave me the address of the Port of Papeete. I'm going to use that. I'm glad they'll send my ballot by email. I don't think that snail mail would ever reach me using that address.

islandwoman,

I am glad that you will be able to receive your ballot by e-mail. But, for the Princess agent to not be able to provide you with the Port Agent's address? Ridiculous! You asked a question that was not among the FAQ that Princess receives, thus the agent had no better answer than what you were given. Whenever cruise ship passengers are in a port, the Port Agent's information is made available to guests in case there is a need to contact the Port Agent when ashore.

Whenever cruise ship passengers are in a port, the Port Agent's information is made available to guests in case there is a need to contact the Port Agent when ashore.

Yes, once we had to call him (long funny story). I don't want to wait until we reach Tahiti to find the port agent information on the shore information sheet. So I'll use the Port de Papeete address. Should work. It's important to me to vote. It goes beyond wanting to do my citizen's duty. We even considered cancelling the cruise so that we wouldn't miss voting day.

islandwoman,

Consider canceling your cruise just to be certain to be able to vote! You prize your ability to make your voice heard at the ballot box as much as I do! Even though it requires effort to try to be able to vote when one is not at home on Election Day, that effort is worth it to me and, obviously, to you as well.

Please pardon the second posting on this thread, but for those concerned with obtaining absentee ballots while traveling, according to www.overseasvotefoundation.org, the only state that does not provide absentee ballots on line and/or via e-mail is Alabama. The website is a gold mine of information between which and a visit to your local Registrar of Voters (or the appropriate functionary in your district) should enable the vast majority to cast a ballot come November. Please do so. It's important.

My browser does not like the above site. My local election officials recommended this site: https://www.fvap.gov/ I filled out a form online, mailed it to my local officials, and will receive my ballot by email while at sea. (I could have received it via fax). Will have to print the absentee ballot and return it via snail mail.

Other states may allow you to cast your vote online or via fax. See for yourself.

islandwoman,

Consider canceling your cruise just to be certain to be able to vote! You prize your ability to make your voice heard at the ballot box as much as I do! Even though it requires effort to try to be able to vote when one is not at home on Election Day, that effort is worth it to me and, obviously, to you as well.

Wonderful post. Thank you for it

As I mentioned above, we had primary election this week in Massachusetts and the voter turnout was ridiculously low. That saddens me. I cannot imagine not voting without an extremely valid reason, Ballot is the only place one's opinion really matters..

When I went into my place to vote, there were only three or four people there voting

Edited by sail7seas