Long-Time Lurker, First Time Cruiser...

LakeWobegon

Loving your review! We sail the horizon in December and amtaking in any vista reviews with similar eagerness! And also new CCL, I have similar trepidations so am so relieved to read about your positive vibe. Our only cruise experience has been a brief stint on Disney...

Question on the credit card you referenced...do you feel the benefits are better than the delta skymiles card?

And from MN...wondering how it was to leave during the precious summer months? I am also a teacher with similar contract requirements. But I cannot give up camping and outside days during our amazing summers so we are cruising at Christmas....(and spring break...).

Thanks. Carnival is great. Yes, FlexPerks is much better than SkyMiles in terms of earning free flights and you can book a flight on any airline, not just Delta. This year we purchased 8 "free" airline tickets between the two for our vacations. Granted I travel a lot for work on Delta/SkyMiles and we purchase everything personally almost on our FlexPerks card.

We had no problem leaving Minnesota during the Summer. In fact we've been gone nearly three weeks this Summer between a condo stay in Cozumel and this cruise. We've lived on a lake for nearly 15 years now and while we love it, we get plenty of boating and sun the rest of the Summer. Plus this Spring Break, we spent nearly every day at church between First Communion and Confirmation.

On Tuesday, La Romana, we were up early for a relatively fast breakfast in the MDR and then headed off the ship shortly after they began allowing passengers ashore. I was a little nervous about the independent shore excursion we had booked through Seavis Tours (Saona Special) in terms of getting back in time before the ship left. I had read lots of great reviews though and everything worked flawlessly. Taxis were waiting for us just outside the cruise terminal and we left immediately. And the guides were cognizant of the ship's departure time and had us on taxis and back to the ship with an hour and 15 minutes to spare before departure.

No pictures this day but I do have a lot of GoPro video to download. The tour consisted of a fun powerboat ride to and from Saona Island where we had a beach break and good lunch buffet of chicken, pork chops, rice, fruit, etc. Free beer and rum drinks served in little cups but they kept pouring if you wanted more. The beer was "One" or something that must be local and poured from the finest 40 oz bottles.

The guides were helpful and made stops on the way to and from the island to show us features of the National Park and mangroves, etc. We also stopped at a sandbar with starfish and spent about 40 minutes in the water being served drinks and "rum cake" where the guides put a slice of pound cake on your palm, poured rum over it and topped it with a slice of pineapple.

We would recommend this tour but probably not book it again as we like to try new things.

On Wednesday, Curacao, we opted to not do much of anything. We enjoyed the sea day brunch and played the morning $750 balloon bingo where the winner of the last game gets to pop one of many balloons affixed to the cruise director to see if they can get the one with that amount of money. We ate lunch at the Mongolian Wok which was just OK and then when everyone was preparing to get off the ship at 1 pm, we headed upstairs to the SkyRide.

Tip (Given to us by SkyRide staff): One of the best times or least congested ones to visit is when approaching Curacao. The winds die down dramatically given the location of the pier and everyone is rushing to get ready to get off the ship. We all went twice on the SkyRide and could have went a third time, probably within an hour's time. We did the ropes course as well which is a little more challenging than you would think from looking at it.

Afterward, we took a walk into town across the floating pontoon bridge to buy some souvineers and headed back to the ship. The kids did the slides while the adults rested in the hot tubs and Tides pool on the back of the ship, enjoying the view before dinner.

No picture by the southern most point marker as we would have had to wait in line for about an hour.

It's crazy how quick that line starts and grows. We usually stay a block away when we're in Key West and the last time we were there my son and I walked down there around 7:30a and already had about 30 people in line. It was only about a 10 minute wait but by the afternoon that line was ridiculous.

Instead we ate at Blue Heaven before heading back.

The guy who owns this is a fellow Tar Heel who graduated from UNC, I was just reading an article about him in our alumni magazine.

Some pics that day of the Flying Scotsman and his balloons, Curacao from the balcony and cheesecake! Son loves cheesecake. First really eat other desserts on the cruise so he gets a slice after breakfast at sea day brunches to go and stores it in the cabin fridge for later. Note the hand of my daughter taking no my cheesecake and the port wine. I love the option of a good port with dessert since visiting Portugal and have me every night on a cruise. They had Dow’s 20 Year Tawny, which was nice.

6d3353c66486e4e7fecb43e7c5ab7c03.jpg19dfc4f7b8075331eed94fdff511dff1.jpg39d629fb369c7659b624218ffe51e307.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blue Heaven seemed nice enough. The pie was GREAT. Most people were eating breakfast at Noon still. Seemed more popular than lunch and a few couples around us were seated, looked at the lunch menu, stood up and left. Just not impressed with the lunch selection. I guess I would have been more OK paying that for cheeseburgers had they been huge and juicy, with fries. But they were thin and dry and smaller than a regular hamburger at McDonalds. And with a tiny scoop of coleslaw on the slide. Point being, go for breakfast, not lunch apparently. Or the pie, which again was great. The service and wait staff were very good too though. They had a sign saying they were closing for a week to go on a cruise. :D

And yes, that line when we were there with a cruise ship in port was nuts. We waited for 10 minutes in the hot sun and it barely moved so we took some pics of other people taking pics and moved on. lol

Thursday, Aruba, we had ordered room service to be delivered the night before. A bit underwhelmed as they only sent half the order but that was OK as the kids had enough pastries and I snagged a few breakfast burritos for my wife and I from the Blue Iguana along with some Lattes on the way back. We were off the ship shortly after 8 and it was a quick taxi ride (20 minutes) to Moomba Beach. I think it was $4 a person or $16 each way without tip.

We did the Jolly Pirates excursion which I highly recommend. The boat departed at 9 am and was back by 1pm. During that time, we cruised out to the old German shipwreck to snorkel in some very rough waters. Then off to a calmer spot near shore with lots of fish and white sea urchins, the type you can pick up! A gentleman in St. Thomas had showed us the difference last year. With everyone back on board after that, the main entertainment was swinging off the rope swing on the side of the ship. Very fun and many people lined up to do it 10 times or so. You wanted to go again and again to keep improving your form. lol. A small boat motored out to us around Noon to bring us a good BBQ lunch. And there were free rum drinks throughout the cruise. At $60 pp booked online, I would highly recommend this excursion and do it again - if not just for the rope swing.

On the way back, the taxi driver said she would drop us off at the shops just a few blocks off the cruise terminal as they had more variety and were cheaper than those right outside and inside. Well, she lied. : P But it's a good story how my wife bought her magnets for twice what she could have paid right there at the terminal. Twice for the same exact ones.

We had dinner at the Steak House that night. My wife hurried up to the Spa beforehand to get a pedicure, discounted by the $50 gift card Julio our room steward placed in our room to help celebrate our anniversary. She would only go on the waterslides if wearing socks the rest of the week. The steakhouse itself was great and it was determined the next night in the MDR that our head waitress was our MDR head waiter's girlfriend. We told him it was wonderful service in the Steak House and he said he would tell her we said it was the worst ever.

The meal itself was good with a minor hiccup. I had the Fire and Ice Oysters that they bring out in a dome of cold smoke that dissipates over the table, followed by lamp chops and the chocolate orb. All very good except one of the chops was tough. I considered bringing this up but the other's were excellent. And the service great so I let it drop.

One thing I wonder is if the wait staff in the MDR don't angle for a spot in the Steak House or specialty restaurants eventually given the tipping situation. There was no auto gratuity involved in the fee so you tipped what you felt comfortable with and I wonder if this doesn't present an advantage to the wait staff here depending upon how they split it?

On this board and on Carnival that is. So, I was veryexcited that our first Carnival experience was the 8-day Southern Caribbean itinerary on Vista this past week+ and I’d like to offer my perspective if you want to read along.

I want to start by saying I was more than a little nervous about this cruise. Before cruising on NCL’s Escape in 2016 and 2017, our last cruise was our honeymoon on RCCL’s Explorer of the Seas 16 years ago. On thatcruise, we encountered some old rusty Carnival ships along with hundreds ofrowdy passengers in port and it pretty much created a stereotype of Carnival forme for the next decade plus.

We really enjoyed NCL and the Escape but wanted to trysomething different. The Vista and its itinerary looked amazing, but that impression was tempered with comments like “Carnival is the Walmart of the Seas,” in threads I have read on this board no less. Would I be disappointed or worse yet, disgusted with my experience? As I tell my kids, you must try something before you can make a judgement like that. And I thought, if we are spending thousands of dollars on an 8-day cruise, it can’t be too much like Walmart, can it?

So off we went to Miami two Saturdays ago, and to sum it up on the front end, it was pretty much awesome. So much so, that my wife said several times throughout the week “I really liked Norwegian and the Escape. I’m glad we went both times. But this is nicer. It has a better vibe. The service and food are both much better.” My kids (11 and 13) concurred.

Now, those are generalities. I will try to be more specificin my review – and without comparing to or knocking NCL throughout. I would go on one of the newer NCL ships again and have a good vacation if you must push me to. But the “better vibe” comment (comparing the better vibe on Vista to Escape) sort of sums up how we felt all week. The food comment I will elaborate on, but it had to do with two fronts – the MDR (food and service) and the fast and free options like the Blue Iguana Cantina and Guy’s BBQ for lunches.

Took this exact same itinerary on the Vista last year. It was a lot of fun and there is nothing really to complain about. As for being the "WalMart of the Seas", I can see why some might brand it that, but it doesn't interfere with having a good time, or deter me from sailing on CCL. I think a lot of it depends on which port you sail out of actually.

Took this exact same itinerary on the Vista last year. It was a lot of fun and there is nothing really to complain about. As for being the "WalMart of the Seas", I can see why some might brand it that, but it doesn't interfere with having a good time, or deter me from sailing on CCL. I think a lot of it depends on which port you sail out of actually.

Yes. I think it really is the ship and port more than the line. Good to hear you had a good time. We just loved it. Over on our FB group, so many people are complaining and saying worst cruise ever. We filled out our post cruise survey and recognized our MDR serving team, coffee shop staff, room steward, cruise director and bingo emcee by name.

Great review. I really want to do this itinerary next year. I'm sure I will be able to convince the other half!

It's really great. Though you will be doing it on the Horizon I believe. We'd like to do the Horizon next on the Eastern 8 night itinerary but have plans to do the Seaside from MSC before that in March 2019. And the Panorama in March 2020.

I am so enjoying your review!!! We have stuck with smaller ships, but your review is making me want to try the Vista and her amazing staff!!!! Thank you!

Thanks. We did meet a few people who shared they did not like the large ship concept on Vista but we met equally if not more that loved it. And many brand new cruisers who were like, this is awesome. One woman we met from Georgia was with her husband who was cruising for the first time and while she disliked the ship, he loved it. He would pass by with a beverage in his hand at the pool and I commented that guy looks like he's having the time of his life. lol

The last few sea days included a lot of leisurely activities after a Sea Day Brunch, from the water slides and pool in the morning into the early afternoon (including watching a nice woman named Jill beat out all the younger gals as Mr. Carnival Vista), to doing the SkyRide and Ropes Course again, to indoor activities such as trivia in the lounges and bingo. We watched the lip synch battle the last evening in the Liquid Lounge and that was tremendous. Two talented competitors and great stage shows. It was just nice to take it easy and one evening my wife and I just saw at the main atrium bar listening to the Violinman and Rockin' Strings having a few drinks while our kids played chess in a booth just off the area where we were sitting. The ship has lots of options to be active or just chill out those last few days.

That last day, I saw a long line of people by the pool waiting to get debarkation tags of their choice if they didn't like their assigned ones. As I had FTTF, I had stopped by Guest Services earlier in the day and got switched from 2 to 21. That got us off the ship around 10 am if I remember correctly.

Sunday morning's debarkation was easy though a bit of a change from NCL's to get your luggage the past two years. We walked right off the ship. No lines or delays. The luggage was in carousels, not lined up in a warehouse out of an Indiana Jones movie like NCL. We had our's quickly and an Uber XL was there within a minute of requesting one just outside the terminal. A short ride to MIA and one minor mechanical flight delay and we were on our way home. We always joke about the Delta terminal or area at MIA. When we passed through on our honeymoon 16 years ago, it looked like a refugee camp. Walls were literally missing and replaced by plastic tarps. Its better these past three years we've been cruising but its the same amenities, a Pizza Hut, Quiznos and Budweiser bar/restaurant are pretty much your only immediate options. I always have to have a sad returning home beer on my seat with my personal pan pizza as a last hurrah.

Final thoughts coming up next.

Cabin:

Good. It seemed roomier than NCL's Escape and I like Carnival's option to have a Pullman bed with four people. Many lines only let you book a room with this option if you have 5 people. The standard balcony also appeared bigger and roomier though we booked a large balcony on Escape the past two years. The room itself was clean with enough space to store clothes and personal items. The next time around though, I am going to book a balcony across from an inside room. I've checked this option out on upcoming Vista and Horizon cruises and it's approximately $200-$300 more to go this way for four people. It's like a suite but two separate rooms and much cheaper.

Dining:

GREAT! The food is not 5 star but its a cruise ship and very good for that. We enjoyed the MDR much more than Escape both in terms of food selection, quality and our service. Again, our MDR team wanted us to request them each night for YTD and we always had a spot with them. Very enjoyable. Plus the "free" casual selections at lunch topped the Escape and on paper, the Seaside which we'll be doing next.

Embarkation:

Loved FTTF. Will do that again if it appears advantageous as it was this time the next Carnival Cruise we take.

Entertainment:

Good. I've noted in this review already but we enjoyed a variety of the stage shows and also some of the comedians, though a few swore every other word during the 18+ shows. That's amateur hour for me. You don't need that to be funny as many of the truly great comedians have noted. Poolside entertainment was hysterical and Bingo was great though we lost each time.

Onboard Experience:

EXCELLENT! From the Cruise Director to the front line staff, everyone was funny, easy going yet professional. I only felt uncomfortable once with the waiter in the MDR that first night. Everyone seemed to want to help make our vacation the best experience possible. I saw the captain around often too. Not sure if it was my timing but he passed by on a number of occasions at various spots on the ship. I think the captain was hiding out on the Escape. lol

Ports and Shore Excursions:

GREAT! I loved this itinerary. You get a relaxing first day followed by a relaxing sea day and then a relaxing port day in Grand Turk where there's no real rush to get off the ship. And the ship is right there for a quick return. So you can really unwind. Then you have what was an early, hectic port day in La Romana for us, followed by another relaxing port day in Curacao since you don't get off the ship until after 1:30. Then up is another hectic but fun for us day in Aurba followed by two relaxing sea days to unwind again. It just seemed planned perfect and I love that extra day in an 8 day!

Value for the Money:

Good. The Vista was about on par with what the Escape would have cost again not factoring in NCL included a drink package in the price and we had to buy Cheers on Vista for an extra $900 plus if we wanted. But overall I felt like we got much more as previously described in terms of options and service.

Bottom line we loooooved this cruise. Our favorite yet. And we plan to sail on Carnival many more times hopefully. We have a March 2020 cruise booked on Panorama (Mexican Riviera) in fact. That far out, we got what was a good price on a Havana Cabana and inside room in my opinion.

I am really torn. We have the MSC Seaside booked (since last year) for this coming March. We talked about cancelling and doing an 8 night Eastern on Horizon instead but looking at current prices, we're looking at $4500 for four people for a standard balcony. Our 7 night Western on the Seaside will cost $4500 as well but in a YC Deluxe suite with all those "perks" including "free drinks." It looks intriguing so I believe we will stick with it and give MSC a try too. But we plan to return to Carnival that next year, and who knows, maybe sooner!

Thanks for all the great posts on this board and the information that has been so helpful in us planning our cruises!

I enjoyed your review - thanks for posting. We did this same itinerary on Breeze in 2015 and also stayed at the Hampton Inn Key Largo for a few days pre-cruise. Good to see they weathered last year's hurricane. We also did Jolly Pirate in Aruba and Seavis in La Romana - both great excursions. Glad you enjoyed.